Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

manual transmission difficult and dangerous article

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
There is a good reason why many commercial fleets, limo fleets, taxi fleets, etc., use auto t's: These are drivers who spend many long hours behind the wheels, and the constant shifting can be extra work. The companies accept the higher running costs of fuel and maintenance to get the longer runs and longer shifts. (Does anyone remember the argument by some trucks that running at higher speeds was actually more fuel efficient?) Well, speed limits are up in NY on may roads, and fuel use has increased.
As to the efficiency argument, try this: Go to a dealership and compare the federal mpg certificates for identical cars, one with auto and the other will manual. The difference will be black and white.
I will agree that using a manual in start/stop traffic is a pain, but driving an auto on twisties and good "travelin" roads is a total loss of fun.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:20 PM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Anyone see his new one? He got so many responses he had to write about it.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:00 PM

Anyone that dumb about transmissions and driving is not worth further reading time from me. Thanks Pyromaniac, for the offer.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:48 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Sedan MBP/17X7.5 SSR Comps/225 Kumho MX
here's my message to BOB:

I have been driving cars equiped with manual transmissions for 37 years and have been involved in only two accidents: in both I was rear-ended by someone driving a car equiped with an automatic transmission.

I enjoy driving. I don't want to be in the same car that is driven someone who would rather yack on a cell phone than shift a manual transmission. Or someone who likes playing with onboard navigation toys more than looking at a map before a trip and committing a few facts to memory.

Bob Elton, if you really think manual transmissions are obsolete and not worth having then what do you do for sex, now that artificial insemination is readily available?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:49 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Talking

Originally Posted by yzercyber
Bob Elton, if you really think manual transmissions are obsolete and not worth having then what do you do for sex, now that artificial insemination is readily available?
I'd bet that Bob has never heard of this 'sex' you speak of hahahaha
Old 12-14-2004, 07:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
"The transmission’s electronic control system monitors the vehicle’s speed, lateral and longitudinal acceleration; the steering wheel position and acceleration; and changes gear ratios accordingly"

I bet he'd be interested to know that a 2004 Corvette (6-speed MANUAL) has a few electronic control systems that monitor the vehicle as well, such as yaw sensors to determine when to run the electronic stability control. As well, the gearbox itself is computer-controlled and has a 1-4 skip shift feature that locks up all but the first and fourth gear when accelerating from first to ease shifting and allow for greater fuel efficiency. As well, the gearbox doesn't need the computer-controlled assistance features that the automatic he speaks of has, as the gear ratios are fixed and easily learned by even a novice driver, and can be used to their fullest extent by the experienced to make the car easily driveable for fuel efficiency and safety or all-out on the track.

Not to mention that the corvette with a 350hp V8 gets 19-28mpg city/highway stock and can do a burnout in a tight circle if desired. Try to do either of those two in an automatic and I'll be very impressed.

I drove said Corvette today as well as an automatic Lexus SC430, and I'd just like to say that, as an enthusiast and lover of driving and motorsports in general, the Lexus is extremely cushy and comfortable and has all manner of fun gadgets to fiddle with while you drive (which by the way almost got me in two accidents today), but the Corvette with it's utter lack of sophisticated gizmos and distracting crap is a luxurious pleasure to drive and costs a few thousand dollars less than the automatic transmission model.

Last edited by thebankman; 12-14-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:21 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru TS
See rebuilding a light-duty F150 tranny will cost me $4000.00. How bout I want to rebuild the transmission of the first Mercedes automobile (wagon-ish car), how much will that cost? This guy is pathetic and he bases everything that is in his generation. Hello? we have Boeing 747's in the sky instead of your Kitty Hawks that the Wright brother once flew. We have cruise ships instead of the german U-Boats. Get a brick and whack your head to bring you back to the real world. People like him deserves to have their hands and legs tie against 4 different cars (hopefully some more modern car than a Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe =D) and traveling in different directions to rip his guts off. Eventhough I drive an auto, I want a stick.

PS: His looks and his knowledge seems to reflect his age. OOOOOLLLLLDDDDDDD. You cant judge modern things with old technology. 21st century cars are more technological advanced than an 20th century's. Before, cars can barely have 100hp, now we have 700 horsies pushing a light metal frame with wheels.

Advice for you BOB, dont ride a horse-driven wagon, get a CAR!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:23 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru TS
Originally Posted by MVWRX
I'd bet that Bob has never heard of this 'sex' you speak of hahahaha
good one, you know, he wanted one of those "sex" for a long time; just that no one wants to be the victim
Old 12-16-2004, 04:10 PM

To JesseOO: Careful about "old", as ISH and I look very much alike (that's a compliment to ISH, by the way) and I am reminded that at age 14 I learned to shift an International Pickup, and found that a good application of right foot not only smoothed things out but angered the s..... out of my Dad, my teacher. Been doin' it ever since. 5-speed synchro makes it all easy. And, that 6-speed in the Corvette is sure nice, too.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 04 Toyota Tacoma
I read this somewhere: " You learn how to steer with an automatic, you learn how to drive with a manual."
Old 01-24-2005, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Sounds like racing rules to me . . . lol
Old 01-27-2005, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Last time I checked F1 boxes shifted faster than people.

Quick Reply: manual transmission difficult and dangerous article