Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Its Too Hard (choosing between Porsche 993, 350Z, and STi)!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:01 PM

Car Info: 87 944 Turbo Porsche -
Its Too Hard!!

I'm seriously looking for a new car and let me say...i'm having such a hard time...i love the wrx, but i was also looking at the 350z. I love the look at the z but i feel its not going to be fast enough for me....I'm really looking to get a used 993 porsche(95-98) I dont know about all of you guys but i love that car. I'm 25 and i feel you only live once, and lifes too short to not have fun and hold back..I like the sti in a performence mind, but sorry to say its not the hottest looking thing(to me at least for over 31k)...what do you people feel.????
Old 03-27-2004, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Tough decision

One day I hope to have a garage of Subarus and Porsches. Even the Z is tasty car.

If AWD is a factor, then obviously the STi is the best choice. Otherwise I'd rank them 993, STi, 350Z.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
Sti and Z will be cheaper to modify in the coming years...but that older body style of Porsche is really hot. One of my favorites that is
Old 03-28-2004, 09:47 AM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
dont go with the Z, if your looking to go fast. with uppipde, and turbo back, my rex spanked the 350Z.

you can never go wrong with a porsche (unless its a boxter...bleh)
Old 03-28-2004, 09:59 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
the boxter is not really a bad car....i've driven one for couple of weeks and it was pretty fun.....i mean its still a Porsche
Old 03-28-2004, 11:44 AM

Let me just say that I really enjoy this forum...I have posted a few other similar questions in the 350z forum and all I got was negativity....i hate when people have such closed minded thoughts on other cars besides their's....YOu should of heard them put down every car but the 350z..and the funniest how mad they got when i proved that my old 944 turbo with 92k miles on it would beat their 40k z's....it was so funny to hear all of their excuss's,,,everything form."i dont care what your car can do but its "ugly" Or : your car is nothing but a old Fake porsche....my point is that i know my car is old and I'm getting sick of it but it doesnt make any sense talking $h!t about it just cause you're mad that my car is still faster then yours...Once agian thankx for this helpful forum with people who dont have their heads up their @66's thankx...
Old 03-28-2004, 12:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: evo
the new s2000 is hot also.

The 350z from what I have read in the magazines is a freaking expensive nightmare to mod to go fast. I mean Nismo makes that r-tune version for thousands more and I dont think it even make 30 more horsepower. I can get that from a turboback or a reflash on WRX for less than a grand.

I'm a porsche fan. I really like any porsche. I'm just not mechanic enough right now to have an older one. I'll take brand new 911 please!

I don't know if you test drove a STi but you are going to blown away by the shear power of that car! 300hp 6-speed I mean come on.

And don't forget the EVO(I'm trying to make this and EVO thread) if you can get past teh emblem on the truck. Look up for the new MR version EVO with the bigger Turbo and 6-speed(if it makes it to the states)!!
Old 03-28-2004, 05:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Your best bet is to buy a car that meets your individual driving style. The 350z is a nice piece of engineering, and certainly looks smart. The downside is that it is no where near as fast as it looks, and because you sit so low you might be seeing the underside of a few SUVs now and then.

The 993 is another interesting choice; I'd be wary of a Porsche that old driven on American soil, as we take very poor care of our roads compared to the European roads this car was designed to run on. Watch for underbody rust and decay, suspension components and oil pan problems. I've driven this model as well as 911s and I have to say that they are excessively (and obviously) rear-heavy and definitely require lots of attention to proper driving techniques. Both cars will spin out of control on a corner with almost no warning if you hit water or push past your traction limit.

The STi is obviously an excellent choice; it is fast, and has robust mod capability. You might actually be better off with a normal WRX, as they depreciate less, cost less to insure and draw less attention from those wanting to street race. This is the only AWD car out of your choices, and you might want to try driving an AWD car first, before you consider the STi -- it is definitely a different way of driving, if you intend to push the performance envelope. Learning to drive the STi around town (especially in stop-and-go traffic) is a challenge, as it constantly wants to GO-GO-GO and everyone else (including the police!) wants it to stop.

The Porsche would be very tough to find parts for, as well; that might be a factor. Also, few people know how to work on one. I wouldn't buy one unless I had a Porsche-only shop within reasonable driving distance, and I'd put that 993 up on a lift and have someone go over it inch-by-inch before I'd put any money down. People who own Porsches tend to drive them HARD.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:39 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
Originally posted by Doubleurx_STi
the boxter is not really a bad car....i've driven one for couple of weeks and it was pretty fun.....i mean its still a Porsche
agreed, I would kill to own any porsche, but a boxter just puts a sour taste in my mouth. Before the boxter was re-released, porsches were hard to come by and to own a carerra or 911 is to own a porsche. When you start making cars for close to $40,000 you have to be taking short cuts, wether it be performance wise, mechanical, or cosmetic. I have also driven a boxter, and my bosses 03 Carrera 4S and let me tell you, you wouldnt think the boxter was made by the same company
Old 03-28-2004, 07:15 PM

Car Info: '09 Black Audi S5
Originally posted by miamiowns
Sti all the way, there is no negotiation. Porsche is a porsche, everyone has them. Subaru, noone has them. Either you fly with the flock, or take your own route. I've never been a follower, why I bought a wrx in '02. I love the fact of having something noone else has. I love the fact of having something that isn't trendy. Lead your life, dont follow in others footsteps. Sti is an amazing vehicle, will spank the crap out of other vehicles twice as much, and you wont have to worry bout seein your own ride 8 times a day on the road. Be unique, get the baddest vehicle on the street. And dont worry bout the looks, they aren't bad, they are different, that's what makes them better. I'm waitin to start my new job to save for an sti, dont worry, i'm not worrying, IT WILL HAPPEN.

P.S. take a look at your newspaper classifieds, i live in miami and not one subaru is for sale. NO models, nothing, i think people like what they have. Damn i love not riding the bandwagon, keeps fools from gettin the good stuff !!
My thoughts EXACTLY. The ONLY reason not to go with the STi is the general publics (sheep) opinion of it's looks. In the case of the WRX family, function rules, form grows on you.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:21 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
If you live in New York and you want to drive in winter, AWD will be nice, maybe even necessarry.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:56 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
Originally posted by nKoan
Tough decision

One day I hope to have a garage of Subarus and Porsches. Even the Z is tasty car.

If AWD is a factor, then obviously the STi is the best choice. Otherwise I'd rank them 993, STi, 350Z.
werd
Old 03-30-2004, 07:15 AM

Yeah i know i love the 993 in just about every way...but the awd..is very nice and like most of you said its a must....Hard choice, Hard Choice....Another problem is that i wanta a sports car that WOMEN like and know what the hell it is. I cant see a woman liking the looks of a sti over a 993 or the 350z...Hey myb i'll get a CLK..lol

Quick Reply: Its Too Hard (choosing between Porsche 993, 350Z, and STi)!