Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Impreza rear seat is CRAZY small

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
DId you try moving the front seats forward?
Old 10-16-2003, 10:46 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Jettas and last-gen A4's are worse.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally posted by Kostamojen
Jettas and last-gen A4's are worse.
He beat me to it.
OTH, the back seat of a Legacy Outback is exceedingly comfortable! Perhaps you should look at a used Outback for around the same money as a new OBS.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:53 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
I agree... look at legacy and outback... much more room, and a good used one goes for the same price and you will probably get more features too.
Cheers
-Jeff
Old 10-17-2003, 10:42 PM
NASIOC Slut

Originally posted by prawn
I had a Jetta. It wasn't worse.

The legroom is almost identical on paper, but the rear of the seat is "carved out" more so there is just a little more knee room.
The back part of the rear seat in the Jetta is near verticle. Very uncomfortable.

And when you were in the back of the Impreza, was the seat cranked down or up? It helps with foot/leg room if the seat isnt all the way down to the floor.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:50 PM

Car Info: Not a WRX any more . . .
I'm 5'7" and the back seat (of the WRX anyway) seemed ok to me. But I haven't spent much time back there. The back seat of my 2000 Jetta is better, but there are so many other reasons not to get a Jetta. The back seat of a Prelude is crazy small, not built for humans.

I haven't driven a CRV so I can't really comment on that, but how often do you have a car full of people? If it's not really often, I'd say get something you like that people can fit in if they have to. Don't get something you will be unhappy with every day so that your three times a year passengers will be slightly more comfortable. You're giving them a ride, how much can they really complain?

Edit: I actually spent several hours in the back seat yesterday, and it was fine, no complaints. Especially since I installed the cup holders! But I was sitting behind my wife, and she's shorter than I am, so the front seat was pretty far forward.

Last edited by bclee; 10-19-2003 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Outback Sport
The impreza backseat is small but manageable for short trips for me and I'm fairly tall(6'). If you want to see no room, try a Mazda MX-3. My older brother had one and My head would hit the roof in the back seat. Plus the backseat had these weird "depressions" that you sat in and it was nearly vertical in the back. Insanely small.
Here's a pic I found, not the best but it gives you an idea of how small it was.
http://www24.brinkster.com/cardiffgiant/mx3back.jpg
copy and paste the link

Last edited by Cardiff Giant; 10-18-2003 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:42 PM
NASIOC Slut

Ya, I liked the CR-V interior alot too when I checked it out. I was impressed, but most Honda interiors are rather good (however ive always thought the Accords felt too much like a ford taurus interior, but thats just me)

However, I just love the new Forester interiors! It feels great just driving the car around being in that interior, especially the XT and its very nice cloth seats.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:02 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
Everytime I'm behind a CRV all I can look at is the rear suspension components. The whole car has good clearance... and then there are these axles and lower susp. arms just sitting there completely exposed. In my opinion, this vehicle is most certainly not designed to go offroad.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Outback Sport
I'm with Monkey, especially on the old CRV, the axels hung down so low that I can't imagine taking over a something more than a big pot hole. My buddy has an 03 CRV and I'll admit it's a comfortable car, but I just have such a problem with SUVs in general, especially one that is based off the Honda Civic platform. Present company excluded(since it seems prawn will do some biking and other outdoorsy activities) it seems like most of the people who buy these are just after the status symbol that the SUV has become but don't have enough money to buy the real deal. As I said, present company excluded since it seems like Prawn will use it for some utility and trail type stuff. I dunno, I'm just so anti SUV I don't even like these little ones, hell even the Forester is a bit iffy in my book.

Quick Reply: Impreza rear seat is CRAZY small