Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

2007 RWD Hyundai Tiburon confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
I can't wait until it comes out. Korean cars really have been proving their worth in the global automotive industry. Even GM and Ford are looking up at the quality of their work as it steadily gets closer to the Japanese.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:10 AM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
hopefully they wont have the same false HP claims as when the last tibby came out. I know that pissed a lot of people off.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Oh yeah, Hyundai has brought us such amazing vehicles as the "Budget JagCedes" (the Sonata, a complete ripoff of a Jaguar rear-end and a Mercedes 300SL front end) and the "Four Dollar Lincoln" (the XG350, ripping off Lincoln looks and a Lexus-like name) and the "CR-V Lite" (the Santa Fe, an inch-for-inch copy). If they wanted to make a true impact in the industry, they'd be better off making cars that aren't such blatant knock-offs of other designs. Even the Tiburon is just a slightly restyled Celica with some shark gills on the side -- and the riveted gas cap mount on the rear fender, stolen from the Eclipse!

The Sonata's wannabe-Jag looks are so obvious that Jaguar actually announced early this year they were going to drop all of the sub-$35,000 models from their line. Guess which ones they dropped? The ones the Sonata steals the rear half from!

I can't speak for the reliability or quality of the cars (although my friend with a V-6 Tiburon says it gets surprisingly terrible gas mileage) but the "knockoff" look doesn't get any respect in my book. Subaru's cars are visually an "acquired taste," and I'm being kind by saying that, but at least they are instantly recognizable as Subaru and not some odd blend of styles lifted from other cars. Oh, and before anyone starts the "looks don't matter blah blah blah" argument, I'd be willing to bet that looks are about 80% of the average customer's criteria when selecting a car, followed by cost and THEN performance. I'm basing this on feedback from friends and co-workers who formerly sold cars.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 98 RS
Yeah! im so excited. No respect
Old 05-06-2005, 07:29 PM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
I like how they spelled Infiniti "Infinity."
Old 05-07-2005, 08:25 AM

Car Info: 1984 Subaru GL Wagon/1999 Subaru Impreza L Wagon
I'm all for RWD/AWD sports cars reguardless of Hyundai's 'morals'.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:56 PM
VIP Member

Ripping off the design aesthetics of other manufacturers isn't a moral issue -- it is just a sign of lazy/non-innovative engineering. There's not anything about the Tiburon that hasn't been done before, and better, by another manufacturer. Having yet another RWD "sports car" on the market doesn't matter much, unless that car innovates in a way which would motivate other manufacturers to also update their lines.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by meilers
Ripping off the design aesthetics of other manufacturers isn't a moral issue -- it is just a sign of lazy/non-innovative engineering. There's not anything about the Tiburon that hasn't been done before, and better, by another manufacturer. Having yet another RWD "sports car" on the market doesn't matter much, unless that car innovates in a way which would motivate other manufacturers to also update their lines.
If the Tiburon keeps the same price point it currently has (and there is no reason to assume it won't), then I think it'll be the only RWD sports car in its class.

Almost every other "sports" car nowadays is FWD with the exception of the AWD ones we love so much.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
with all the hate hype about hyundai(and kia) these 2 car companies actually spank subaru's in customer satisfaction AND dealer satisfaction- very FEW companies can do that-

now resale value has a different tune-
oh, and if its cheap enough i'd rock a rwd tiburon-

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 05-07-2005, 06:43 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Ya, make it the same price and its going to sell like crazy...
Old 05-07-2005, 06:47 PM

Car Info: 05 sti
wonder what the car'll look like this time...
Old 05-09-2005, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ShiroStee
wonder what the car'll look like this time...
Didn't you read my post? It will look something like the new Eclipse and the new Celica, of course

"gdogg," I'm not a Korean-car hater; I just haven't seen anything from either company that Subaru fans (or car fans in general) should be excited about. Cost-shaving is certainly a valid engineering objective, but true sports cars have something that Kia and Hyundai have yet to demonstrate: heritage. When they can demonstrate that a near-stock version of their car (not a GT or pro version) can compete at a race level, as Subaru, Toyota and Honda do, then they can claim to offer a sports car; otherwise it's just another clone. As for customer satisfaction, I think it is fair to say that Subaru cars are driven a bit harder and by a more discriminating (and therefore more likely to complain) type of driver.

Also, if you read the press release you'll note that they cite the RWD Tiburon as an attempt to move "upmarket" -- it doesn't take reading between the lines to realize that "upmarket" means a price increase. No matter how impressive a RWD Tiburon with a 3.6 liter engine would be, it is going to have a tough time competing with other RWD offerings from domestic and Japanese manufacturers -- as well as used Z3 roadsters, an extremely impressive RWD car that retails for under $18k used around here.

Last edited by meilers; 05-09-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 1984 Subaru GL Wagon/1999 Subaru Impreza L Wagon
Originally Posted by meilers
Didn't you read my post? It will look something like the new Eclipse and the new Celica, of course

"gdogg," I'm not a Korean-car hater; I just haven't seen anything from either company that Subaru fans (or car fans in general) should be excited about.
I honestly don't see a Celica or an Eclipse (aside from the billet fuel filler door and thier general FWD coupe platform) in a Tiburon. The Sonata is a different story, thier advertising even stated when it first debuted "Looks like a Mercedes or Jaguar but costs thousands less" (meaning thier not really trying to 'trick' anyone)... I'd still drive it though if I needed a cheap family hauler.

Remember that Hyundai is a relatively young company. I doubt anyone would have expected seeing crazy-*** 300hp AWD sedans come from Subaru when the 360 debuted. Give Hyundai time to move up-market and experiment and I'll be willing to bet some awesome cars will pop out of thier plants.

Also, I don't see how Hyundai has been granted the responsibility of having to 'inspire' other car companies to do anything.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:28 PM
VIP Member

Just so you don't think I'm making this up:

Here's the Tiburon:

and here's the Celica:

Look especially at the shape of the windows, windscreen, placement of the grille and fog lamps. I've seen the two cars parked side-by-side, and they have an identical wheel base; even the door handles are the same height and position.

Quick Reply: 2007 RWD Hyundai Tiburon confirmed