aloha from hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
aloha from hawaii

just wanna say aloha to all the vancouverites "up there".

never been there but i meet a lot of people from there visiting us here in hawaii
Old 03-27-2004, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 1992 Toyota Sera
Eh brah! You should come visit us in Vancouver sometime, too!

What's the longest road trip you can take in Hawaii, anyway?

My experience with driving on the Islands is limited to trying to squeeze a POS rental car around Kaena Point. We took one look at the rusted hulks of cars that fell off the tiny dirt road and onto the beach and decided, hell no! And we drove around the windward side of the island instead! LOL

Edit -- ha ha, this brings back memories!

That's pretty much what it looked like back when I was there many years ago, but people were still trying to drive around it! "Man, I wish I had a Subaru" -- I remember thinking.

The road I'm talking about is the "blank" area on the West side of the island, where Route 930 looks like it doesn't quite connect around the Wainae Mountains. That little dirt road around the point was positively the scariest road I have ever tried to pass in my life. Pounding surf on one side, gouges and falling rocks, barely wide enough for a single car, and rusted hulks of metal 50 feet down the cliff from previous visitors!

Last edited by Necromancer; 03-27-2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:38 AM

oahu has no real drives... big island(where i'm from) you can get a nice 3-4 hour drive. kaena point!?? you'll need a jeep wrangler for that- plus a nice cushion for your back! if you ever come back try the big island you might like that drive better.
never been to vancouver... maybe soon... who knows... getting married in july- is there snow there in july? i want snow.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:36 AM

oh well, no snow... hey i just cam from the general forums... they think the vancouver club is dead...
wassup wit dat?
Old 03-30-2004, 09:31 AM

Car Info: 1992 Toyota Sera
Oh, sorry, I just assumed you were from Oahu. Yeah, the Big Island has some nice drives, eh? I remember driving that interior road from Kona to Hilo once... kinda scary, TOTALLY EMPTY and nothing but fog and steam and papaya trees. Felt like the Predator was going to come out of the jungle at any moment...

Anyway, you can always *see* snow year-round around the mountains up in Whistler -- but this year is turning out pretty warm so I doubt there will be any skiing left in July ...

Then again you never know. And I'm not from here, so it's all new to me too.

BTW the nasioc Vancouver forum is a little more active, and we have secret places where we hang out, too.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:47 PM

gdogg<------- from Big Island living on Oahu