Yellow laminex for headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
From reading this, it sounds like white or yellow for any forward facing light is fine in California.

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:

(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:

(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red to the front.

(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the color spectrum from white to yellow.

(3) An illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall emit radiation predominantly in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Any incidental visible light projecting to the front of the vehicle shall be predominantly yellow to white. Any incidental visible light projecting to the rear of the vehicle shall be predominantly red. Any incidental visible light from an illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall not resemble any other required or permitted lighting device or official traffic control device.

(b) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from the rear of a vehicle, shall be red except as follows:

(1) Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, may show yellow to the rear.

(2) Turn signal lamps may show yellow to the rear.

(3) Front side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show yellow to the rear.

(4) Backup lamps shall show white to the rear.

(5) The rearward facing portion of a front-mounted double-faced turn signal lamp may show amber to the rear while the headlamps or parking lamps are lighted, if the intensity of the light emitted is not greater than the parking lamps and the turn signal function is not impaired.

(6) A reflector meeting the requirements of and installed in accordance with Section 24611 shall be red or white, or both.

(c) All lamps and reflectors visible from the front, sides, or rear of a vehicle, except headlamps, may have any unlighted color, provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all reflectors complies with the required color. Except for backup lamps, the entire effective projected luminous area of lamps visible from the rear or mounted on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall be covered by an inner lens of the required color when the unlighted color differs from the required emitted light color. Taillamps, stoplamps, and turn signal lamps that are visible to the rear may be white when unlighted on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1974.

Amended Sec. 38, Ch. 766, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996.
Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 198, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by mistaanime
if you like it. just do it. i like how everyone talks about illegal this and that when majority of the people here run catless or would get cited for modifications done to their ride.
True, but catless exhaust and most mods are generally less noticeable than glaringly yellow headlights.

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Don't think I've ever heard of a L.E.O. using a federal code on a fix it ticket and I think I've gotten 20 of them myself. Most of them don't know them.
Obviously my case is different since I'm not in CA, but my best friend had yellow coated low beam bulbs got pulled over and ticketed by Virginia State Police. Others seem to have posted that even CA has state level laws against it.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:00 PM

Car Info: 12 STi hatch
Hmm interesting. I just think the yellow looks awesome on a white car lol. I just don't want any legal trouble is all.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by Brfatal
True, but catless exhaust and most mods are generally less noticeable than glaringly yellow headlights.

Obviously my case is different since I'm not in CA, but my best friend had yellow coated low beam bulbs got pulled over and ticketed by Virginia State Police. Others seem to have posted that even CA has state level laws against it.
I just posted the applicable vehicle code for CA and it states yellow for forward facing lights is fine. Unless there is something I am missing, I can't see anything wrong with it based on the VC.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Jesus. Its fine, others in CA have ran them and have seen no issues. Just don't act like a wreckless dumbass so you don't increase your chances of being harassed.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:20 AM

Car Info: '07 WRX Wagon
I ran yellow HIDs for 3 months on my WRX. Got a ticket once. I didn't fight it, and just paid the 80 bucks I think. I ended up switching to white HIDs to just avoid a slight chance of being pulled over.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru wrx
And if your bulbs are already putting out alot of yellow, putting on film could make them have an ugly green tinge!