Why are Subie's so Overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Question Why are Subie's so Overpriced?

So following a thread in the local for sale section and a few others I have seen it seems to be that owners of 02-03 wrx wagons and sedans seem to want a lot for their cars. KBB is a reference point and not the bible as to what the actual price is. I also like to cross reference the price of a car on NADA between Clean
Trade-In and Clean Retail since it does not really give you and fair market price of what you should be looking to spend on the open market.

I don't understand how a 10 year or older car can be listed for $11,000 or more with close to 100K miles and say $7,000 worths of mods from say 4+ years ago or until the current point of ownership? So can anyone tell me why the car prices seem to be inflated for a Subie? I am looking to buy a 02-03 WRX Wagon but not looking to spend all of my money on it, I will need some money leftover to fix up little issues here and there and also for gas and insure it too.

Also this is something a few certain individuals should of done instead of thread crapping in the for sale section. So feel free to thread crap here
Old 12-19-2013, 07:13 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
just because surprisingly, people buy em. Like i have said in the past, wrx's becoming the new honda
Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
These cars have are very popular now, maybe that has something to do with it... I see Subies everywhere, so much that I stopped waiving at them (unless I now them) because I started to get looked at like if I'm a weirdo lol
Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 2014 Evo GSR
Lol true. I was origonally supposs to grab a 08 evo x gsr but i couldnt find a well maintained one (let alone one that someone traded in). After spending 19k at my buddy mitsu dealership for this pristine sti , he came across 2 clean used 08 gsr for the same damn price and 30k less mileage. Lol i hate kbb
Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
I did a price survey on value of Subaru's... there's some interesting perceptions of the brand.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 PM

Car Info: @eatwithnaveed
They don't typically go by blue book. They do have a higher demand and finding a clean un abused one is becoming harder and harder to find. As the post above me said, they're becoming the new Hondas. With that said, I respect people's mark ups on theirs cars, given that it is reasonable and appropriate to the market. When you're selling your car for near 12k, with 100k miles and basically a stage two, and a 02-03 model, and making false statements of 7k in mods trying to rip a poor guy off, then that's where it gets ridiculous. They bashed me for asking 14k Obo for an 05 wagon in that thread lol. that 05 had over 10k invested in it. It literally had everything from a custom paint job to a mild motor build and yet, it booked for 14500 back then. So it was definitely a steal. And it was owned by enthusiasts all it's life and the guy is actually selling it again on criagslist for 17k. So point being, people are just retarded. They can ask all they want, doesn't mean they will get it. The market for subarus is always higher in the winter, so have some patience and keep a good eye out. When you see a good deal, hop on it. Goodluck.

Last edited by StealthMODE; 12-19-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Hmmm ive experienced quite the opposite. Wanted to trade my 06 limited in for a loaded 2012 lancer MR. THEY WANTED 41K......
Think subies are overpriced? Think again, new vs new they dont compare....you are compairing to what people are asking to what they ultimately end up with. I could ask 10k for a 5k car and only get 4k. Ya know?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
It's called market value. If you can find buyers to pay $15k for something, then it is worth that amount of money. It doesn't matter WHAT you're selling.

KBB value does not always accurately reflect the value of a car. Things that drive up the cost can be social values (popularity), features that are in seasonal demand (like 4wd in winter), etc.

Market Value
The highest price a willing buyer would pay and a willing seller would accept, both being fully informed, and the property being exposed for sale for a reasonable period of time. The market value may be different from the price a property can actually be sold for at a given time (market price). The market value of an article or piece of property is the price that it might be expected to bring if offered for sale in a fair market; not the price that might be obtained on a sale at public auction or a sale forced by the necessities of the owner, but such a price as would be fixed by negotiation and mutual agreement, after ample time to find a purchaser, as between a vendor who is willing (but not compelled) to sell and a purchaser who desires to buy but is not compelled to take the particular article or piece of property.

Originally Posted by StealthMODE
So point being, people are just retarded.
When you think everyone is "retarded" then at some point you need to consider the idea that maybe its you.
Mr. 17k bugeye

Last edited by Gancherov; 12-19-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:28 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
i just love it when people try to justify their price by their "mods".
Old 12-19-2013, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Lol right? The worst part is, the guy op is talking about was claiming 7k to make his car a stage 2 on the stock 2.0 block... Lol... With 7k into the motor, if you don't have over 350 whp out of that 2.0 block, shoot yourself haha.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Stacheless Cholo

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Hahaha for reals, "11k with the XXRs, 9.5k without" that's one of the best ones so far for me.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by RodriguezGD
Hahaha for reals, "11k with the XXRs, 9.5k without" that's one of the best ones so far for me.
The best is "bring your own wheels" ... Haha
Old 12-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
A random guy in a parking lot a month or two ago offered me $12k for my RS. I told him its just not for sale.

My car is in terrible shape... But with a legal swap, its definitely worth more than KBB. People seem to really be willing to pay high dollar for Subarus.

The 03 forester xs I just got for $4500 was a fair price but its not a deal. I just knew it was in good shape and couldn't walk away from it.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
2 years ago i put my wrx for sale and i had people from WA wanting to come down and buy it for 9,500 (guess i listed it cheap)

but even right until it was totaled out i had 2 local kids that hounded me to sell it to them and offering 10k

They didnt produce many WRX in those years so a nice clean wrx is rare indeed then the fact that we are losing many to accidents.

Last edited by zumnwrx; 12-19-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:35 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
Mods can hurt the price. A lot of people will look for stock cars for just that reason. That's why you keep your stock parts! I go back an forth so often! So yeah, buy stock and prices will make sense more to you.

Quick Reply: Why are Subie's so Overpriced?