Who wants a great winter tire for a KILLER price

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Glad you liked the DWS's, u are right not a snow tire but about as close as u can!!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
i think i wanna get me some DWSssss! I'll be headed up to tahoe for X-Mas. Anyone happen to know a car rental companies that have Subies?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
I had the pleasure of driving my brother's '08 Outback XT in Tahoe over the Thanksgiving holiday with the newly mounted ContiExtreme DWS'. While they were by far the best all season's I've used in the snow, they weren't as good as any of the dedicated snow tires I've used in the past (Blizzak LM-22, Michelin Alpin PA2 and the General Altimax Arctic). The General's have been the best value snow tire by far and I'd recommend them to anyone that spends a fair amount of weekends in Tahoe.

-Brian
I've been looking at the general artimax, since I have an extra set of wheels that will need new tires soon. How are these on the drive to Tahoe? I'm sure they're great in the snow, but I'm wondering how the drive to the snow is, since thats the longest part lol. The cheapest I could find was $312+shipping for the set, if I were to use a slightly bigger size at 205/60/r16Can anybody tell me why tirerack will say a 15 inch tire will fit our cars?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....n&autoModClar=

Look at other tires & pricing and it will list 205/60R15 @ $66.00 (ea.) as an applicable size for a 03 wrx sedan...???

Last edited by steeze; 12-04-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
bump from the dead. How are these tires doing for you guys? I am looking to buy some of them so Im curious as to how they have held up for you all.

I too am a tahoe weekender from the bay area
Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 PM

^ I just sold sold mine with 20k on them and they were holding up great! I now have Blizaks because I go up in the worst of worst storms! but a huge bump for the dws tires and the great price they are!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:06 PM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

which blizaks? cost??
Old 10-05-2011, 03:26 PM

^ the LM and I got them for 300 for all 4
Old 10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
My experience having driven Blizzaks, Altimax Arctics, and the DWSs (as well as the Michelin Alpin PA2) is as follows:

Blizzaks - Great tires if you put them on for the trip to Tahoe and take them off when you get back. They're just too soft to drive on bay area roads throughout the whole winter, IMHO. They squirm and slide quite a bit and wear like hell on dry roads.

Altimax Arctics - Excellent for bay area Tahoe heads. I HIGHLY recommend this tire as a tire you can rock all winter. They're not as soft of a compound as the Blizzaks and handle the dry/wet/no snow roads of the bay area winter much better than the Blizzaks. It's pretty damn good on dirt too if that matters to you.

DWSs - Good winter tire for a couple of trips to the snow per year. I wouldn't want them for the big dumps or any deep snow as the treads aren't as deep as the other two tires mentioned. They're pretty good in the snow for an all season, but I wouldn't recommend them if you want to be first on the hill after a HUGE dump.

I'm sure people will debunk my opinion as it is just that, opinion. I have, on the other hand, had my fair share of snow driving experience having lived in Colorado for five years so take it for what it's worth.

-Brian
Old 10-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
I have the Altimax Arctics, and they did great last year. I had Blizzak WS 60's before that, and many other winter tires before that. They are very similar to the blizzaks in the deep stuff and ice. On the dry they are a bit squishier than the blizzaks. I like them, and would buy them again (in fact I am probably going to pick up a set for the GF) for a dedicated winter set since I live up here and run them for about half the year or so. I definitely did like the blizzaks, but for me the difference between the two weren't worth the extra $ that they charge for them.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
My experience having driven Blizzaks, Altimax Arctics, and the DWSs (as well as the Michelin Alpin PA2) is as follows:

Blizzaks - Great tires if you put them on for the trip to Tahoe and take them off when you get back. They're just too soft to drive on bay area roads throughout the whole winter, IMHO. They squirm and slide quite a bit and wear like hell on dry roads.

Altimax Arctics - Excellent for bay area Tahoe heads. I HIGHLY recommend this tire as a tire you can rock all winter. They're not as soft of a compound as the Blizzaks and handle the dry/wet/no snow roads of the bay area winter much better than the Blizzaks. It's pretty damn good on dirt too if that matters to you.

DWSs - Good winter tire for a couple of trips to the snow per year. I wouldn't want them for the big dumps or any deep snow as the treads aren't as deep as the other two tires mentioned. They're pretty good in the snow for an all season, but I wouldn't recommend them if you want to be first on the hill after a HUGE dump.

I'm sure people will debunk my opinion as it is just that, opinion. I have, on the other hand, had my fair share of snow driving experience having lived in Colorado for five years so take it for what it's worth.

-Brian
Great review! I agree with just about all of it. I have never used the DWS, so don't know about those. I think it depends on which Blizzaks you use as well. For me the altimax's felt softer, but it is hard to remember as I was comparing worn WS60s to new Altimaxs's. You may be right though, as the wear on the Altimax's does seem to be a bit better than the blizzaks.

But like you said, it is all opinion!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Thanks a lot guys! Looks like I'm getting altimaxs' soon!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Car Info: 2002 BRP 2.5RS
I highly recommend the Altimax's! I have used the same set for two winters now, going on my third and still have a solid 12mm on them. I live just where the snow stops and drive the summit every weekend so these tires see mileage. I can pass trucks in a downpour of snow and never break traction. To snow drift is almost difficult with these.

I used to use Cooper's snow tires (blanking on the name at the moment), bought these 3 winters ago and haven't looked back. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant

-Brian
Thanks for this! I will be picking up some dedicated snow tires next week as I am going to be living in the Reno area when I get back from Sweden. Was thinking about the Blizzaks mostly because I have heard good things. Plan on putting them on next week and probably running them until April/May. FWD, so I need the traction (for my SAAB 9-5).

BTW - I see a lot of Continental snow tires over here, but they are usually on studded tires by 12/1 so not sure what they move to at that point.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Car Info: bugeye WAR wagon
Originally Posted by JAC Wagon
bump from the dead. How are these tires doing for you guys? I am looking to buy some of them so Im curious as to how they have held up for you all.

I too am a tahoe weekender from the bay area
BUY my setup! they've got TONS of life left! the white stuff is starting to fall! i won't be going up too much this season someone put these to use...
https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal...-fs-sf-211391/

Originally Posted by burnyou2
I highly recommend the Altimax's! I have used the same set for two winters now, going on my third and still have a solid 12mm on them. I live just where the snow stops and drive the summit every weekend so these tires see mileage. I can pass trucks in a downpour of snow and never break traction. To snow drift is almost difficult with these.

I used to use Cooper's snow tires (blanking on the name at the moment), bought these 3 winters ago and haven't looked back. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!
WORD!!!

Name:  IMG_0245.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  62.8 KB

Last edited by BeE_JiZZeLs; 10-06-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Ive seen your posts on the craigs and sooo tempted to buy...these look great

Quick Reply: Who wants a great winter tire for a KILLER price