i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Wheres my oil going? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/wheres-my-oil-going-255978/)

runboyrun 12-09-2013 01:18 PM

Wheres my oil going?

So I have been noticing a trend that I lose about 1qt of oil after about 1500-2000. I look under my car and don't see any oil and the ground where I park doesnt have any noticeable oil stains. Any idea whats going on? Is it my vf39 thats burning it? I dont see any smoke coming from it so im just unsure. Looking for ideas that I can check. I had my valve covers replaced last year and I replaced the turbo return line (what a PIT!) about 6months ago.

Thanks!

Boo 12-09-2013 01:29 PM

What oil are you running?

runboyrun 12-09-2013 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=Boo;3470408]What oil are you running?[/QUOTE]

Rotella T6

bkblitzed 12-09-2013 01:43 PM

is there oil all around your drain plug or case, but they never drop?

OneManArmy 12-09-2013 01:53 PM

Some of that is normal consumption. The excess stuff could be coming out in a few places.

Turbo seals is a big one. Valve covers is very common. You had your replaced... have you been under there to check them? I know that's where I'm loosing some of mine. And old beat up seals in the motor.

I go through a quarter every 1000 miles. Old motor. I just keep filling it up. If I had a newer motor I'd be concerned.

Check the valve covers.

How's your power output and your MPG been?

Heedz 12-09-2013 01:55 PM

I probably go through a quart in 2k miles but my turbo center shaft seal is out.

slow04wrx 12-09-2013 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=Heedz;3470422]I probably go through a quart in 2k miles but my turbo center shaft seal is out.[/QUOTE]

how were you able to verify this?

Think my dads outback xt could be in trouble.

runboyrun 12-09-2013 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=bkblitzed;3470414]is there oil all around your drain plug or case, but they never drop?[/QUOTE]

Theres usually a drop of oil sitting on the bottom of the oil filter, ive read its usually just a really small leak in the oil cooler that causes it though. I dont think it would cause the amount ive been having.

runboyrun 12-09-2013 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;3470420]Some of that is normal consumption. The excess stuff could be coming out in a few places.

Turbo seals is a big one. Valve covers is very common. You had your replaced... have you been under there to check them? I know that's where I'm loosing some of mine. And old beat up seals in the motor.

I go through a quarter every 1000 miles. Old motor. I just keep filling it up. If I had a newer motor I'd be concerned.

Check the valve covers.

How's your power output and your MPG been?[/QUOTE]
Its pretty much the same. Usually get around 18-20mpg

pigboat_2 12-09-2013 02:13 PM

Try a synthetic blend or conventional oil? My old performance shop in Colorado ([URL="http://www.revolutionsperformance.com/"]Revolutions Performance[/URL]) always recommended a high quality conventional oil to all Subarus, and they carry a pretty high Subaru rep.

runboyrun 12-09-2013 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=pigboat_2;3470434]Try a synthetic blend or conventional oil? My old performance shop in Colorado ([URL="http://www.revolutionsperformance.com/"]Revolutions Performance[/URL]) always recommended a high quality conventional oil to all Subarus, and they carry a pretty high Subaru rep.[/QUOTE]

Im pretty comfortable with what im using now. There are plent of oil analyses that show it works well with our EJs

Holdenian 12-09-2013 03:07 PM

^i agree, t6 is fine.

this isn't too helpful, but i found a leak when i cleaned my engine bay last

jdblock 12-09-2013 03:38 PM

When the weather gets cold, sometimes the oil sticks into the breather lines that bolt to the intercooler. Pop the hoses off and see if there is a buildup in the hard line. If there is a buildup its nothing to worry about, it happens because the car doesn't go on long drives. It'll look like a wax substance.

biohazardous 12-09-2013 05:26 PM

[QUOTE="OneManArmy;3470420"]Some of that is normal consumption. The excess stuff could be coming out in a few places.

Check the valve covers.

How's your power output and your MPG been?[/QUOTE]

+1 you are right on point with the its going to be turbo seals and normal burn off. My car burns 1 qt every 2000 my turbo seal are done

Heedz 12-09-2013 05:46 PM

[QUOTE="slow04wrx;3470424"] how were you able to verify this? Think my dads outback xt could be in trouble.[/QUOTE]only burning on vacuum. But no oil on start up. Headers were clean when removed.