Where do you do oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
I do mine at home...

I've heard of bad things from others that took their cars to jiffy lube or some other shops like that. the mechanics are very careless there. The most 'popular' story i hear is that they forget to put oil back in after they drained it.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
yeah I do mine in the driveway so I dont have many good recommedations, though I would avoid dealerships for minor services. Where are you located?
Old 12-20-2004, 06:32 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Mostly at home

I usually don't have the time to bring my car to the dealership so I just stock up on SUBARU oil and airfilters and do the job at home. It's extremely easy with these cars. Just remember to put a new crush washer on the oil pan bolt. I use Cheverons 5-30 conventional oil. My 2002 WRX is at a cobb stage 2 with OVER 100K miles. Still running like a champ (wish I didn't get the extended warranty). I change the oil every 3K miles....religiously. Takes me about 20 minutes without lifting the car off the ground or using ramps (Eibach springs). Just shows you how easy it is to reach the oil pan bolt and oil filter. I'm not sure if it's needed but as a measure of safety I pre-fill the oil filter before putting it on. Do yourself a favor, stop off at Vishnu (local to you) or order Cobb's stage 2 and have some real fun with that car. Trust me,...it won't break.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:34 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
I just changed the oil on my 05 WRX wagon. What a pain. If you decide to do it yourself, be warned. Oil filter part number has changed. It's much smaller now. Also, oil pan is 4.2 quarts, not 4.7 quarts. Also, there is this crappy plastic skid plate you have to remove to get to everything. I'm not sure how long that thing is going to stay on. I doubt it will fit as soon as I start changing the plumbing
Old 12-20-2004, 06:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
It's pretty simple to do an oil change. If you're willing to drive out to San Jose, I can teach you how to change your own oil. Super simple stuff I got all the tools too .

-GDO
Old 12-20-2004, 06:51 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Where do you do oil change?

I do mine on my car...I don't know about you though.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:54 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
I do my own oil changes for all my vehicles.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
Subaru Oil? Just get the oil filter.

Buy it from Carlsen Subaru (if you need one in a hurry, it's cheaper there). Do not buy it from Steven's Creek, unless that is your last resort and you are desperate... they overcharge.

You will need a crush washer for your drain plug and you'll need an oil filter (don't use Fram. It's crap. Get Purolator, Wixx, or OEM Subaru Oil Filter).

Hope this helped.

-GDO
Old 12-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
I change my own oil, unless I'm working 120hrs/week

It helps because I have tools, but fortunately you don't need many tools to do an oil change.

I would buy the aluminum racing jack from Costo (made by Allied, not avail. at all Costcos), because it works well and is indefinately returnable.

Buy a couple decent jack stands, because it's unsafe to leave a car up on a jack.

If you can't afford a $120 jack, you might just want to buy some plastic Rhino ramps to roll the front end up on.

Buy a good oil filter wrench, bring an oil filter in to make sure it fits right.

Use Subaru OEM oil filters, try www.subaruparts.com for purchase. Always buy one crush washer for the drain plug every time you change your oil, so buy them with your filters.

Until you reach 7-10k miles, use regular oil. Kendall and Castrol are brands that I use for conventional oil for proper break-in.

After that I recommend Redline 10W40 oil for your car. I've had great success with this oil both my old '02 WRX and my '04 STi. Its the only oil I trust with my cars.

Let the old oil drain out completely for 30+ minutes.

I think its a good idea to fill the oil filter up all the way with new oil (fill it slowly, and make sure to wet the rubber o-ring on the filter with new oil)

Don't overtighten the drain plug, or you could strip your oilpan.

Don't undertighten the drain plug, or it could start to leak oil.

Search for the proper torque settings for tightening the drain plug, I tighten it by feel, but that's because I've done it a million times.

The tools you need to change your oil:

Good med-sized plastic funnel (no spills is good)
17mm box-end wrench and/or 17mm socket & socket wrench (for drain plug)
12mm socket (for plastic under-tray)
rags (to clean up dirty oil from the oil filter boss)

The WRX and STi have a listed capacity of 4.8 quarts, so I just rapidly empty the oil containers into the filler neck, not letting all of it empty out.

I change regular oil every 3500 miles, and synthetic every 4500 miles.

Drive your car after you change the oil, and check for leaks afterwards, then re-attach your plastic undertray.

Good Luck!

David

Last edited by Group B; 12-21-2004 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:06 PM

Car Info: civic
after i drain my oil, i also rinse it a bit with new but cheap oil (those 1-2 dollar a quart or somehting)
just my 2 cents
Old 12-20-2004, 08:26 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by AzN121184
after i drain my oil, i also rinse it a bit with new but cheap oil (those 1-2 dollar a quart or somehting)
just my 2 cents
you rinse your old oil?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:28 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by AzN121184
just my 2 cents
LOL

Quick Reply: Where do you do oil change?