What's your take on cleaner wax, and hand application?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:31 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
What's your take on cleaner wax, and hand application?

For those of you who know a lot about detailing, would like to get your opinions on:

Cleaner wax: What do you think about cleaner wax vs. regular wax? I got a bit of this stuff (Turtle) for free, my intended usage I was thinking of applying the cleaner wax after washing and then laying a layer of wax on top of it.

Hand application of wax: get some on your finger, lay down a line and then swirl apply with light, even pressure?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
hand application takes forever for bigger panels, but if you don't have power tools I guess that's your only option.

also, why would you use two waxes?
Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 PM

Car Info: 12 STi
get rid of cleaner wax... it's not enough to 'clean' and not good enough of a 'wax'.

Get some real polish and some real wax.

Use applicator pad instead of your hand unless your hand is softer than microfiber applicator or foam applicator. Believe it or not, by running your hand down the panel can scratch the hell out of the car. Even cheap microfiber towels can scratch the hell out of it. Just ask International B... I recently did his Silvia, then he decided to use some costco MF with detail spray, yeah, BUNCH of scratches after that...

iBlueVirus aka DetailAddict...
Old 08-22-2009, 09:44 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
I used Meguiars cleaner wax on my powdercoated BBS's last weekend. didnt have the time for a wash-claybar-polish-wax on them.

the cleaner wax did a bang up job of making them look much newer.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Originally Posted by Pactin
hand application takes forever for bigger panels, but if you don't have power tools I guess that's your only option.

also, why would you use two waxes?
I think I use a total of 6 different waxes. each has it time and place in being used.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
Originally Posted by iBlueVirus
get rid of cleaner wax... it's not enough to 'clean' and not good enough of a 'wax'.

Get some real polish and some real wax.

Use applicator pad instead of your hand unless your hand is softer than microfiber applicator or foam applicator. Believe it or not, by running your hand down the panel can scratch the hell out of the car. Even cheap microfiber towels can scratch the hell out of it. Just ask International B... I recently did his Silvia, then he decided to use some costco MF with detail spray, yeah, BUNCH of scratches after that...

iBlueVirus aka DetailAddict...

Yeah, **** the yellow Costco microfiber towels.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
that sucks major. not all microfiber is created equally.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 PM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
so whats the best microfiber towel?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:42 PM

Car Info: old awd turbo thangy
Tech shine pwns wax. If your paint is in decent shape, just clay bar, wash and Tech shine. /thread
Old 08-23-2009, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I pretty much use all Meguires products. Clay bar, wash, polish, tech wax, cleaner, wheel cleaner, quick detailer and microfiber towels. Not too expensive and produces a very clean car.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 PM

Not to brag, but I do have one of the best mf out there. Feel free to bring yours to compare with mine...

Originally Posted by STI RUSH
Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by STI RUSH
See Detail Addict MicroFiber Kit!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ssteve
Tech shine pwns wax. If your paint is in decent shape, just clay bar, wash and Tech shine. /thread

so anybody (I'm talking to you, Leo/onion) have experience with techshine?

I saw their website, they have an awful lot of claims about what their product does... for example filling in the swirl mark scratches without polishing
Old 08-24-2009, 04:12 PM

never hear of it and never used it probably never will (unless a free bottle mails to me )

ideally you don't want to use fillers... Swirl marks will come back... HOWEVER, if your paint is super thin, less than 100 microns, that might be your only option.

Otherwise, use some real polish like Menzerna then top it off with your favor wax/sealant. But do keep in mind, to really get rid of the swirl marks, you have to go rotary. PC gets you 70-80%, Flex DA gets you closer, but you'll need rotary to really cut... Some serious RID would require wet sanding to get rid of...

At the end of the day, what do you want to achieve and how much you willing to spend?

*Hope i don't get in trouble for this...* We have products for 'noobs' to pros... Bring what you have and you can compare to what we have. We can even do a quick measurement of your paint job. Then you can decide what fits your needs. Sometime a quick wash wax is all a person wants and need. "Shinny" is a relative term in detailing.

Leo

Originally Posted by verc
so anybody (I'm talking to you, Leo/onion) have experience with techshine?

I saw their website, they have an awful lot of claims about what their product does... for example filling in the swirl mark scratches without polishing
Old 08-24-2009, 04:23 PM

Ah thanks. Yeah it has really pained me that for the duration my car's 6 year life span I have to park it outside and that really imposes an upper limit of "how shiny" can be sustainable. I suppose I'll stick to the turtle wax for now and someday... SOME DAY will get around to taking the swirl marks out and fixing everything....

Originally Posted by iBlueVirus
never hear of it and never used it probably never will (unless a free bottle mails to me )

ideally you don't want to use fillers... Swirl marks will come back... HOWEVER, if your paint is super thin, less than 100 microns, that might be your only option.

Otherwise, use some real polish like Menzerna then top it off with your favor wax/sealant. But do keep in mind, to really get rid of the swirl marks, you have to go rotary. PC gets you 70-80%, Flex DA gets you closer, but you'll need rotary to really cut... Some serious RID would require wet sanding to get rid of...

At the end of the day, what do you want to achieve and how much you willing to spend?

*Hope i don't get in trouble for this...* We have products for 'noobs' to pros... Bring what you have and you can compare to what we have. We can even do a quick measurement of your paint job. Then you can decide what fits your needs. Sometime a quick wash wax is all a person wants and need. "Shinny" is a relative term in detailing.

Leo

Quick Reply: What's your take on cleaner wax, and hand application?