What're You Bay *WRX* Folks Using in your Trannys+Diffs??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:38 PM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
What're You Bay *WRX* Folks Using in your Trannys+Diffs??

Hey all,

Getting ready to give my ride a little love and am wondering what everyone (WRX folks) is putting in their tranny and rear differential? Yes, I did do a search on here and at the other place, but, as usual, there are like a bazillion different opinions on what's best. I figure I'd just narrow down the info and see what you other locals use, since I rarely ever take my car that far out yonder anymore.

Thanks in advance,

CL

Btw, my '02 bugeye has 30k miles, and I've been running Redline 75-90 since 15k. It felt good at first, but then got pretty notchy, so I was thinking of going back to regular, non-syn fluid or maybe trying some Motul.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by CLsmooth71
Hey all,

Getting ready to give my ride a little love and am wondering what everyone (WRX folks) is putting in their tranny and rear differential? Yes, I did do a search on here and at the other place, but, as usual, there are like a bazillion different opinions on what's best. I figure I'd just narrow down the info and see what you other locals use, since I rarely ever take my car that far out yonder anymore.

Thanks in advance,

CL

Btw, my '02 bugeye has 30k miles, and I've been running Redline 75-90 since 15k. It felt good at first, but then got pretty notchy, so I was thinking of going back to regular, non-syn fluid or maybe trying some Motul.
holly crap thats it?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
holly crap thats it?
thats what i noticed first too. average 5k a year...must be a weekend warrior.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:59 PM

i knew you guys would bug out about my mileage. lol it's not a weekend warrior, but i really don't like to drive it that much. it's not so bad now that the STIs have been out for a while, but when I first got my bugeye, all kinds of kids used pull up and want to race. plus, i've got my coilovers set pretty low, so I always have to tiptoe around the city streets or else my front lip would be destroyed. but yeah, i don't drive it much.....got it when I was still living in SoCal, and moved back a few years ago w/like 21k miles. 3-4k was from trips to Vegas and back to The Bay when I first got it. i just turned 30k last month, so go figure.

i've been wanting to move on to something else for a while, but there's really nothing out there that makes me want to make payments. i never had any w/this one, which has been nice. everyone and their mom is selling their wrx+STi right now anyways. mostly, i just think it's a shame to get rid of it w/so little mileage. i never really got to enjoy it. maybe i'll drive it to Alaska or something before I let her go.

but enough about my mileage+etc. so who's got WHAT in their trannys+diffs. all you guys lurking can't all be STi, Forester, or Legacy drivers.

Last edited by CLsmooth71; 07-22-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:05 PM

Car Info: Rollin' on compressed buffalo
do a search on nasioc. there's this mix called uncle scotty's cocktail i believe. its a mix of redline and some other oils for the tranny only. prevents all sorts of stuff like grinding, etc. created by a member on that forum who is some engineer of some sort. i also use redline in my diff. not sure what type though...
Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 PM

Car Info: Rollin' on compressed buffalo
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
holly crap thats it?
well, we know she's a keeper. a lot of tread left
Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 PM

thanks, horse. i did read on NASIOC about Uncle Scotty's cocktail, but I didn't know he was an engineer. i was wondering how he came up w/that Frankenstein concoction. maybe i'll try it later on. for now, i'm leaning towards just going back to OEM non-syn. a few guys I talked to in the past recommended that, and I just agreed to buy an open container of OEM that another member is selling.

still love to hear more opinions and experiences tho!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Shops cars: 07 STI & 07 Lotus Exige S
We use Subaru Gold Extra S or Cusco. Don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, think the Subaru is 70W-90 and Cusco, we have two options.

But mostly we use the Subaru fluid. You can see a picture of it if you look at the Today at AutoHQ thread, a couple days ago.

Thanks,

Brandon
Old 07-22-2008, 07:40 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Motul 300 Ran the car hard for 4 days driving from Oakland to Glendale/Fontana then to Tijuana/Rosarito back to Oakland over 1,200 miles this weekend. Cold shifting still like butter, speeds in excess of 140mph and stop and go traffic, outside temps over 100* and still the car felt strong the whole time. Well minus the up pipe gasket starting to leak, besides that the drivetrain felt great. Even in the effed up roads of So-Cal and Mexico!!!!!! 04 STi ftmfw!!!!!!!!

-Gio
Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 PM

thanks, Brandon, i'm picking up some extra-s from another member later this week. i'm not sure if it's "gold" tho. are there different kinds of extra-s? btw, if you didn't see my reply in the AutoHQ Today thread, I emailed you again for that quote. did you get this one?

and thanks for your input, Eastbay STi, but I have a WRX w/the stock 5spd tranny. from what i've read & heard, the recommended tranny+diff fluids vary for the WRX and STi+6spd.

Last edited by CLsmooth71; 07-22-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:18 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
i've been running redline 75w-90 for about 55,000 miles now without any issues. it felt a little more "notchy" when I added the heavy duty shock proof so I drained it after about 15k miles and put in just straight 75w-90 per redline's recommendation. no issues.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
The only potential problem with uncle scotty's cocktail is the Redline Lightweight Shockproof.
I've torn apart a few 5spd trannies that showed signs lack of lubrication on the gear & shaft bearing surfaces.
It was caused by oil starvation due to the plastic oil catcher getting clogged up with the Smurf Blood.

Now, in defense of The Cocktail, all of these transmissions were running 100% Shockproof, so maybe this is not a concern if the shockproof is diluted with the other ingredients.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:59 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I used generic "StaLube" non synthetic gear oil in the tranny and Redline synthetic in the rear diff on my old wrx wagon. I never had any grinding issues in the 65K miles I owned it.

Last edited by subie OCD; 07-23-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
CLsmooth what other mods do you have done to your car?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM

thanks for the additional replies, guys, esp your input regarding Scotty's Cocktail, Paul. i'm just gonna go back to the OEM Extra S for a while.and see how that goes. I don't have any probs w/my Redline, as far as grinding or anything. I probably could even go a while longer w/out changing fluid since it's barely been 15k, but i'm about to do my brakes, so I figured I'd swap out all the fluids since I'm gonna be down there already. I just need to find the time to do it.....really busy these days.

anyways, keep the comments coming. i'm sure there are other WRX'ers interested in this.

oh, stupidchicken, I just have the usual exhaust bolt-ons and some suspension upgrades.....nothing crazy. i drive this thing like ms daisy.

Quick Reply: What're You Bay *WRX* Folks Using in your Trannys+Diffs??