What, Smoke coming from out of my hood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 AM

Car Info: WRX 003
Exclamation What, Smoke coming from out of my hood?

Okay so I'm driving along on the high-way, until all of the sudden i see white smoke coming out from my hood scoop.
i began to thought it was nothing serious until i saw it again, so i check my temperature and it was fine.

then, i popped open my hood and checked where the smoke was coming from, and supposedly it is coming from, around the turbo.

I honestly don't know if there is oil on the turbo at which smoke is being produce or something else.

any suggestion: what is causing this? And how to fix this problem A.S.A.P.

-Wrx 03i
Old 05-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by wrx 03i
Okay so I'm driving along on the high-way, until all of the sudden i see white smoke coming out from my hood scoop.
i began to thought it was nothing serious until i saw it again, so i check my temperature and it was fine.

then, i popped open my hood and checked where the smoke was coming from, and supposedly it is coming from, around the turbo.

I honestly don't know if there is oil on the turbo at which smoke is being produce or something else.

any suggestion: what is causing this? And how to fix this problem A.S.A.P.

-Wrx 03i
you probably have an oil leak thats hitting your exhaust manifold and burning off, might be coming from your turbo oil line, how long has your VF39 been installed?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:15 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Last time I got that same issue, it was exactly what he said.^^^^
Changed to VF43.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
white smoke would typically NOT be oil. oil burns blue-ish. white typically is coolant.

-Noah
Old 05-06-2010, 08:52 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
white smoke would typically NOT be oil. oil burns blue-ish. white typically is coolant.

-Noah
And smells like sweet, sweet, mugambo...I mean candy!
But WTF do I know...
Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports

-Noah
yes but most people that see a little oil burning off call it white since its much closer to what you would call white than what you would call blue, bet you its oil and not coolant.

"Survey says!!"

Old 05-06-2010, 10:03 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
This happened to me a few months ago. Scared me too. It's your coolant lines to your turbo, they have really cheap clamps to hold them on, and the heat cycles will wear on them. If you get some worm gear clamps to replace them, it'll solve the problem.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I agree with Noah, it's probably coolant line into/out of the turbo.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
it's from the NOS!!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM

I've actually experienced this three different times, all resulting from three different problems.

First time, turned out my radiator was cracked. The upper part is plastic, and prone to cracking over time. Luckily, I was able to find a cheap used stock one, and just replaced it.

Second time, I was using the AC on a hot day and saw white smoke coming from my hoodscoop. Turned out to be the AC drain hose by the firewall/downpipe leaking condensation, which it turn hit the hot metal around it. Normally, this hose points downward, and the condensation I believe just runs drips onto the floor/road, but since I am running an aftermarket downpipe, the hose would touch the downpipe if left in the stock position. So, the installer decided to turn it inwards onto a little platform connected to the firewall. If this is the cause, I don't think it's too big a deal.

The third time, I came out from a store and noticed a big puddle of coolant under my car. Popped the hood, and turned out the zip tie that was holding my coolant line onto my turbo had broken, and the hose was loose. I guess the pressure caused the coolant to spray everywhere. Luckily, I was in the Target parking lot, so I just went back in, bought some zip ties, coolant, and a funnel, and took care of it right there.
________
Herbal Vaporizer Forum

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
Im sure this isnt it, but it happened to me once, the CV boot on the front right axle tore and started leaking grease onto the exhaust manifold, which would then burn.

So I did what any red-blooded American would do. I ignored it until it got worse.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Car Info: MY03 WRX (SOLD)/1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 w/4.5" lift
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
it's from the NOS!!
That's the answer! No seriously tho it is probably the clamps on the coolant lines to the turbo that STi-owns-evo talked about.

-G
Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX (RIP) // 2007 STi "OMGASTI"
Originally Posted by subaruwrx
Im sure this isnt it, but it happened to me once, the CV boot on the front right axle tore and started leaking grease onto the exhaust manifold, which would then burn.

So I did what any red-blooded American would do. I ignored it until it got worse.
this happened to me too. i replaced the axle myself, it was a cool experience. Since the exhaust is right under the turbo the smoke was coming from the turbo area. Only happened when heated up and wouldnt always happen either. If you look down past your turbo and see your exhaust caked in grease...thats possibly it.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:29 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
What the ****. I posted in this thread and it vanished. Hmmmmmm.

Anyways... one of two things. One the coolant line busted, cracked, came loose and it's dripping coolant on the manifold. I think it's that because the smoke is white.

Second is an oil line or a crack in the turbo or other turbo related issue relating to oil. I blew my turbo and it did this exact thing but the smoke was more gray. Oil. Seems as how you have a VF39 it very likely could be this.

So... check the lines. If they all look good turn the car on and watch them. If they still look good see if you can borrow a vf39 from someone. If the problem goes away it's the turbo.

good luck.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Car Info: WRX 003
i looked at it, and it's oil. there is no coolant what so ever.

a whitish smoke is coming out of my hood, and there is oil right on my turbo: VF39.

I'm thinking it could be the copper washer on the turbo at which it's cracked.

let me know whatsup guys. please .

Quick Reply: What, Smoke coming from out of my hood?