What kind of boot is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
some suggested a rear main seal. while i got my car checked out at auto hq, they said i did have seeping oil one of my main seals. that could have been it. anyways since i have school this week, i just wiped down the area today of all the gunk and most of the damp dripping. ill see if there is still any leaking by the end of this week and order my boots. im just gonna look for a weekend to do this all myself so i can get an alignment if needed also.
yeah hows your PS fluid level been? if its not low and you havent topped it off in a while than yeah its probably not leaking and probably tore because something else was leaking on it, g'luck!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Exactly and if so, look for an '04 STi rack for your car, just got to find the adaptor (or have someone make one) to adapt the RS steering shaft to the STi rack.

As far as Beck-Arnley goes, rockauto.com is your friend...
hmm, whats that all about??
Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by Krinkov
yeah hows your PS fluid level been? if its not low and you havent topped it off in a while than yeah its probably not leaking and probably tore because something else was leaking on it, g'luck!
yea i checked my fluids yesterday, and PS is topped off and full. and a loss of 1qt of oil for my 140k engine every is pretty regular. hopefully i can fit in some work time for this soon. still gotta order the boots.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:51 PM

anyone know what type of specialty grease is used inside the tie-rod boot?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:41 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Das boot?

Seriously though, when a joint has a protective boot like that, it is for a reason. I'd fix that sooner rather than "eventually."

(Das boot! Das boot! Das boot!)
computer graphics ruined beerfest...otherwise i would've laughed at the reference...gran pa pa?!?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:15 PM

alright i gotta bring this up again for second opinions. the linkage has a small layer of grease on it, im not sure if its oil from my rear main seal, or if it was the grease inside the boot. i went to stevens creek subaru and talk to the guys there, they said it only acts as a dust boot and the linkage should be all clean and dry.

is this right? if so all i have to do is clean it and replace the boot.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:21 PM

alright i gotta bring this up again for second opinions. the linkage has a small layer of grease on it, im not sure if its oil from my rear main seal, or if it was the grease inside the boot. i went to stevens creek subaru and talk to the guys there, they said it only acts as a dust boot and the linkage should be all clean and dry.

ya thats what I was saying, those arent grease packed like CV joints, its just a dust boot.

Last edited by Krinkov; 03-25-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Cool

Just saw my PS boot is torn like yours, but inner rod is dry . Got replacements on subaruparts.com, ~$18 each, plus got the brackets, clamp, etc. in case mine are shot. Plan to do this weekend, wish me luck.

Also saw a youtube video here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrtQwjjLQFA for this raksok thing - you just disconnect the outer tie rod, slip this condomy thing over the rod end, and then jam the boot over the rod end with the "sok" protecting the boot. Now, they sell you the boot, too, so not sure if it's a super stretchy boot that can withstand more abuse than an OEM part or what. Sure looks better than removing the rod end, even if done carefully to prevent changing the toe angle and needing an alignment. Might have to try this with a thick plastic baggy, if the rod end is not too bulky on the 02's.

good luck!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:17 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
There is no grease inside the boot for your steering rack. Check that the seals aren't leaking (you'll find fluid inside what is left of the boot). If it isn't leaking clean everything off really good and replace the boot and clamps. Easy fix. Parts are readily available.

It isn't like an axle boot that is filled with grease. On an axle the boots are there to hold in the grease that lubricates the joint. On the rack the boots are there to protect the seals from dust/dirt/grime that would cause the seals to fail.

Good luck.