Wanted: garage mechanics for turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 AM

Car Info: '07 WRX Wagon
Wanted: garage mechanics for turbo swap

I am trying to get into doing more of my own labor on the wrx... It just so happens that i have a leaky non pressurized turbo oil line and I would like to repair/replace the turbo in my garage along with some drivetrain bushings.

With that said, it would be much appreciated if someone out there is willing to share some knowledge with a fellow iclubber.... Beer, pizza, $$, whatever, as long as I'm not paying the shop $100/hr.

I'm in Santa Rosa. Lemme know
Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Originally Posted by Scoobyx
I am trying to get into doing more of my own labor on the wrx... It just so happens that i have a leaky non pressurized turbo oil line and I would like to repair/replace the turbo in my garage along with some drivetrain bushings.

With that said, it would be much appreciated if someone out there is willing to share some knowledge with a fellow iclubber.... Beer, pizza, $$, whatever, as long as I'm not paying the shop $100/hr.

I'm in Santa Rosa. Lemme know

If it's drivable and you want to drive to San Jose, I can walk you through it. It's pretty easy...
Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
i just ordered an 18G turbo this morning! tmic, inlet, intake, id1000cc, fuel pump being ordered shortly.

i've never done a turbo swap, so i might be asking for help as well soon hehe

although this video makes it look easy, and it's for my same model forester How To Upgrade Your Turbo - YouTube
Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by norcalbro
If it's drivable and you want to drive to San Jose, I can walk you through it. It's pretty easy...
Hey thanks for the offer! I will keep you posted if I cant find anyone more local.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rescuer
i just ordered an 18G turbo this morning! tmic, inlet, intake, id1000cc, fuel pump being ordered shortly.

i've never done a turbo swap, so i might be asking for help as well soon hehe

although this video makes it look easy, and it's for my same model forester How To Upgrade Your Turbo - YouTube
Sweet! yeah im thinking about moving to something a little bit bigger than the vf48 thats currently on there, but dont want to break my tranny......
Old 12-02-2013, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 2003 subaru impreza wrx
I live in Napa and I am a mechanic. I do side jobs and would love to do it. I charge 60 an hour but I'm sure we could work something out for cheaper cuz its a Subaru
Old 12-02-2013, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
Lance (Sakai530) helped me with mine in my garage. Took us about 5-6 hours, but we had issues fitting the turbo oil return hard line into the rubber hose, and we screwed around for 45 minutes trying to disconnect the fuel pump so we could prime the turbo. Oh, and we replaced the up pipe and had to cut a lot of heat shielding away. If those things hadn't been issues, it would have been a 3-3.5 hour job. Not bad.

Anyway, it's not hard. You just need to know what you're up against.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
Lance (Sakai530) helped me with mine in my garage. Took us about 5-6 hours, but we had issues fitting the turbo oil return hard line into the rubber hose, and we screwed around for 45 minutes trying to disconnect the fuel pump so we could prime the turbo. Oh, and we replaced the up pipe and had to cut a lot of heat shielding away. If those things hadn't been issues, it would have been a 3-3.5 hour job. Not bad.

Cool- thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon EJ25
Originally Posted by Prettym1k3

That Rubber hose is a SOB! Took me and a friend forever to get it on.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by runboyrun
That Rubber hose is a SOB! Took me and a friend forever to get it on.
In hind sight, I should have had a nice braided line with fittings made. That rubber return line is a huge fail on Subaru's part, and the butterfly clip on it is useless.

Took us like 30-40 minutes to get that on, and the clip never really got on there complete.

Then it took another 20-30 minutes to get my intercooler hose onto the turbo. That was also a fun time.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:32 PM

The problem with a braided line is it's bolted to the turbo and bolted to the engine block and you would have no room to get a tool in there on the bottom side of the turbo what I did was put a new rubber hose on it and then put actual hoes clamps not those worthless compression clamps
Old 12-03-2013, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
I'm in the area and would love to help/assist for my own edification. If you don't mind, PM me when you're getting ready to give it a go.

-Brian
Old 12-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Car Info: 2012 PBP STI
Originally Posted by biohazardous
The problem with a braided line is it's bolted to the turbo and bolted to the engine block and you would have no room to get a tool in there on the bottom side of the turbo what I did was put a new rubber hose on it and then put actual hoes clamps not those worthless compression clamps
+1 to this, use real clamps and not the clips that are on there from the factory

Several of us are currently replacing a turbo for another member here in the North Bay, helped him pull it last night.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by biohazardous
From my experience, I entirely concur. But I still wish there was a better way to do it.

Some sort of quick-connect braided line would be awesome.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:42 PM

It would be much better if he could be braided line that is an extremely high heat area and brother doesn't do to get it turns brittle

Quick Reply: Wanted: garage mechanics for turbo swap