...and US gets screwed again; Cosworth Impreza STI CS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:37 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by aboothman
For $35k I could build a lot more car than that.

It is cool, but the GT-R is a better deal...and it is a ripoff too. The benefit of a Subie is that it is inexpensive performance.

For that kind of money (plus or minus) you would see me in a Carerra, that kickass new Lexus, an M3 or 335i, a Caddy CTS-V, etc.
agreed. Given the choice of a Cossie STi and a CTS-V, youre gonna hear the rumle of a boosted V8 being goosed by my right foot
Old 05-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
sorry but I would never pay that much money for a Subaru. That's like asking Mustang owners if they would pony up $50-55k for the Shelby GT500 when they could get a regular GT for $20k less that's almost as fast.
umm, this would have been an effective comparison if it werent for the fact that they DO sell the GT500 for that much and many Mustang owners trade up to it and there were even mark-ups well over the $55K asking price
Old 05-29-2010, 11:28 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by Krinkov
umm, this would have been an effective comparison if it werent for the fact that they DO sell the GT500 for that much and many Mustang owners trade up to it and there were even mark-ups well over the $55K asking price
You can get away with no mark ups now. I know because I almost bought 2009 GT500. But with new 5.0 mustang, GT500 less appearing now.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 PM

wtf i want 1
Old 05-30-2010, 12:22 AM

Car Info: 2005 STI (sold), 2013 STI, 2014 BURRZ
Waaayyyy overpriced for what you get over a "regular" STI. Kinda reminds me of the mugen civic si - most ppl (myself included) wouldn't pay $30K+ for what is basically a civic with cosmetic upgrades and an exhaust.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
This is just like that Mugen Civic Type R that's offered for sale in Europe. At $64k asking price, would you realistically buy one? I highly doubt it.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...iew/index.html
Originally Posted by dozenutts
Waaayyyy overpriced for what you get over a "regular" STI. Kinda reminds me of the mugen civic si - most ppl (myself included) wouldn't pay $30K+ for what is basically a civic with cosmetic upgrades and an exhaust.

You should see the price for the Mugen Type R in the above link. $64k
Old 05-30-2010, 09:37 AM

oh really? lol Can't imagine why when you could make a GT just as fast with a couple bolt ons.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
There are much better options in that price range. The power specs listed are those of a basic stage 2 STI. Add some suspension work and you're done. Also remember that they would likely have a tough time getting that car to pass emmissions here while keeping similar power levels... not to mention our fuel quality. For $75-80k I would be in a GTR or Z06 which would both absolutely destroy this cosworth STI in just about any situation.

-- Ed
Old 05-30-2010, 09:55 AM

^ +1
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by dozenutts
It also reminds me of GTR nismo edition. Few more hp with few more suspension bolt ons, but priced way more than regular model. Not worth it over regular GTR.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
not impressed, this is the answer to the EVO X FQ-400, which is around if not the same asking price..

and that is equipped with the slower SST transmission (think auto/manual).. the regular GSR model is actually faster (in terms of straight line) compared to the MR because of that transmission)

it reports a 0-62 in 3.8sec on a 2.0L on an auto new platform 2.0L 4b11 (not the obviously much easier to gain power 4g63), so for the suby to only do 3.7 on a bigger engine, not feeling it. and as much understeering this generation STi does compared to the EVO, i would want to see track comparisons before any decision.

matte black looks cool though. but i can do that in my backyard, i still want glossy paint
Old 05-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Subaru is SMART, that's why it doesn't come to the USA, and even if it did, we'd never see one because some rich person would buy it and garage it for it's entire life... Like any of us could afford to buy a WRX STi that cost $75k-90k (after markup on the latter).

You would rather have that than to have an Audi R8 or something similar? If I have 75-100k to spend on a car and am in that budget range there's no way in HELL that I'm going to buy some "fancy" STi. Our cars are great and all but I'd rather have an ordinary STi and have my way with it and do my own custom mods... 400hp on an STi from the factory is nice, but it's not great... That's not WHP and our cars can EASILY achieve 400hp to the crank for a tiny fraction of that cost.

I'd rather spend 34k on a new STi and spend money on the following:

1. Upgraded turbo/Intercooler along with all required hardware (fuel/85 conversion, Electronics, etc)

2. Full exhaust to compliment the new turbo setup

3. High end suspension components to make the car handle exactly the way I want it to

4. Minor exterior and interior bits

5. Upgraded misc bits, like brake rotors/pads/lines, wheels, seats, and other things

All together, doing it the way I WANT I can have an STi that will SMOKE that car and be custom to what I want all for way less money, wouldn't you? For less than $50k, you can have a car that blows just about any other car on the road away... So why spend almost double that on a car that has a number placard and is "limited edition"? If I was some millionaire and collected cars I might think about buying one of these, but it's never going to be as great as the 22B was (it might be faster than a 22B but it wont be as great) and if you look at how much a 22B goes for used (when you can find them for sale) they don't cost THAT much considering at how highly saught after they were.

This limited edition Cosworth may be cool, but it's not $75+ cool and you're paying for a lot of fancy marketing. I'm sorry but my hard earned money wont be wasted like that.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
BTW, do those wheels look kinda small or is it just me?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 2007 SWP STi
There are a lot of reasons why this car isn't coming here and a lot of them have already been covered.
The main thing is the target market for the STi: younger guys that are interested in performance but couldn't afford a 911/M3/S/RS4/etc etc etc. If I were in the 75k buying tier I would not be looking at a Subaru, honestly. It would be RS4 or 911 all the way...
Old 05-30-2010, 11:49 AM

Car Info: 2007 SWP STi
hehe, I used to sell new Fords.
Invoice on a GT500 is somewhere around 26k, MSRP was around 43, and our total sale price was 82k. We actually sold a couple like this too...

Quick Reply: ...and US gets screwed again; Cosworth Impreza STI CS400