Originally Posted by Lowend
2-billion Chinese can't be wrong!
+2 billion indians
Old 08-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by perry753
rice really has no taste... its more of a staple food

but then you would be missing out on SUSHI......
You can always have sashimi!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:38 AM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
Originally Posted by perry753

but then you would be missing out on SUSHI......
i don't even like sushi, i actually hate it... So rice has no meaning to me
Old 08-16-2009, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by indolegend89
+2 billion indians
It's not a matter of choice for those people... It's a matter of not being hungry due to poverty, and we all know that rice is the perfect poor person food.

Besides, Indian people have one of the best type of breads on earth! Nahn (spelling?) bread for the win x 100! I can eat that stuff all day, every day.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:43 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by brucelee
It's not a matter of choice for those people... It's a matter of not being hungry due to poverty, and we all know that rice is the perfect poor person food.

Besides, Indian people have one of the best type of breads on earth! Nahn (spelling?) bread for the win x 100! I can eat that stuff all day, every day.
So what you're saying is that Indians ( and China, Burma, etc.) only eat rice because they are poor? I'm sorry, but that is the most asinine statement I have ever heard. Rice has been around as long as humans have. You cant say that something that has been a part of their culture for thousands of years is used solely for necessity, out of need and want because of low income and low wealth. Look at Japan, one of the richest countries in the world. Rice has been in their culture for just as long. And yet, they arent broke.

And it's spelled NAAN
Old 08-16-2009, 10:22 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
bread, my wife and her family are chinese and i still cant get into it

for thanksgiving dinner they used to have rice instead of mashed potatos, so i had to bring a little western influence to the table, now everyone else eats rice, i eat my mashed potatos with the turkey.

and rice is pretty tasteless, at least with bread you have some varitey
Old 08-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
<---- italian.... bread with EVERY meal .. BUT.... chinese wife... so RICE with every meal now.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Fail...

Tortilla for the win! screw bread, screw rice...hand made, hot and fresh tortillas is where its at. There is no food in the world you can't make better with a good corn or flour tortilla. (gee, did I grow up in a Hispanic area or what)

Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
bread, my wife and her family are chinese and i still cant get into it

for thanksgiving dinner they used to have rice instead of mashed potatos, so i had to bring a little western influence to the table, now everyone else eats rice, i eat my mashed potatos with the turkey.

and rice is pretty tasteless, at least with bread you have some varitey
Pack that rice in a tortilla and it wins!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by rau
So what you're saying is that Indians ( and China, Burma, etc.) only eat rice because they are poor? I'm sorry, but that is the most asinine statement I have ever heard. Rice has been around as long as humans have. You cant say that something that has been a part of their culture for thousands of years is used solely for necessity, out of need and want because of low income and low wealth. Look at Japan, one of the richest countries in the world. Rice has been in their culture for just as long. And yet, they arent broke.

And it's spelled NAAN
You're an idiot.

There are LOTS of famished people in India who can't really afford to eat anything other then rice, same with Africa, and China too.

Rice gives you energy, it's cheap, and easy to make/buy and is the reason that people who don't have money to buy other foods eat rice.

Do you know anything about India? Do you have any idea how many people there live in shanties and can't afford to eat anything but rice? It's not just India, lots of nations in Africa depend on rice as their main source of food, as well as lots of inland China (as well as other countries too).

I'm referring to the people that can't afford to eat anything but rice, and that isn't by choice. It's because they can't afford anything else really. If they had a choice, trust me, they would not be eating plain rice every day. I know it's been part of their culture for thousands of years, but it's always been something that has been very cheap to produce and cheap to make which is why it has been in their culture for this long.

so please explain to me how that was asinine?

Last edited by brucelee; 08-16-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
bread, because theres so many variations.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:27 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Tortillas are bread.

The "Chinese and Indian people eat rice because they have no choice" is a broken premise. It completely ignores the geographical and cultural aspects of the given regions. The diet of a lot of western Chinese groups (Hun, Tibetan, Mongol, etc) is composed of NOT RICE. I can hear it already, "But Taylor, maybe those ethnic groups aren't the poor ones." Sorry. No. Just No. A quick phone call to the local university's department of geography or anthropology will get an answer.

Rice and bread is a biased comparison. To turn rice into an edible food stuff all a person has to do is hull it to remove the chaff. Done. That's it! To make bread a person has to hull the seed, mill it into flour, mix it with water (and other ingredients), then bake it. The steps between harvest and consumption are a total mismatch. Bread can be made with rice and the art of making good bread is rarely about the flour used. Try comparing rice to wheat or potatoes or maybe corn.

Directing remarks to individual persons rather than addressing the actual argument may have just ruined the thread. Epic fail. LOL. GG. L2 have an informed discussion.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
BTW little intresting facts for you..

1)The country that exports more rice than anywhere else in the world: US
2)80% of that rice is grown: In the Sacramento Vally area.
3)90% of the rice you buy here in the US, was grown: In the Sacramento Vally (take a look at the bag next time you buy some)
4)If the US were to stop exporting rice, they estimate up to 20% of Asia would starve to death, as US made rice is cheep, and plentiful.

The reason Sacramento produces so much, is the rich soil, and the unusual long growing season, they can produce in a good year TWO crops, plus one crop of soy. Then the flood season hits, and with it, the water washes in new soil and nutrients from the mountains.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
I prefer bread.

*runs and hides from other Filipinos*
Old 08-16-2009, 04:18 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Rice FTW. way more variety and way easier to cook.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
human flesh. so much flavor.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Question: Bread or Rice?