Ticket for tire guy?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:16 PM

Car Info: White 04 WRX
so hold up...you got a ticket for your tires being bald?? i did not even know that was possible...what the hell is going on around here
Old 10-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

Thinking maybe of getting a letter from a local subaru dealership or even from SOA explaining their tires. Or even from the tire manufacturer. If these types of tickets keep getting written and no one says anything it could end up hurting SOA and the tire manufacturers.

didnt ask before, but why didnt you just explain to the cop they werent bald, you could hav eeasily shown him the wear bars
Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Thumbs down Ignorant A**hats!~

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I was out in the twisties but it was a CHP
That is just plain pathetic! And I have CHP in my family! He is above this BS, thank God!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by NW OBS
That is just plain pathetic! And I have CHP in my family! He is above this BS, thank God!

my brother in law and his brother in law (fireman) call CHP.....AAA with badges.

Jeremy.
I did tell him they weren't bald and told him to check the wear bars. He did. Of course he went to the back and looked at them and poked his finger into one groove. I didn't feel like getting into a full blown confrontation with the guy because I was on my way to the wedding and because there are a couple things he didn't pick up on that he could have gotten me for. I considered myself lucky even though it was a bogus deal. Cost me $10 but at least he didn't get me for the lisense plate and and the window tint.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by 1neWRX
so hold up...you got a ticket for your tires being bald?? i did not even know that was possible...what the hell is going on around here

lol...its always been illegal to ride around with bald tires
Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Tread Depth of Pneumatic Tires

CVC 27465. (a) No dealer or person holding a retail seller's permit shall sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, or install on a vehicle axle for use on a highway, a pneumatic tire when the tire has less than the tread depth specified in subdivision (b). This subdivision does not apply to any person who installs on a vehicle, as part of an emergency service rendered to a disabled vehicle upon a highway, a spare tire with which the disabled vehicle was equipped.

(b) No person shall use on a highway a pneumatic tire on a vehicle axle when the tire has less than the following tread depth, except when temporarily installed on a disabled vehicle as specified in subdivision (a):

(1) One thirty-second (1/32) of an inch tread depth in any two adjacent grooves at any location of the tire, except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3).

(2) Four thirty-second (4/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on a tire on the steering axle of any motor vehicle specified in Section 34500, and two thirty-second of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on all other tires on the axles of these vehicles.

(3) Six thirty-second (6/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on snow tires used in lieu of tire traction devices in posted traction device control areas.

(c) The measurement of tread depth shall not be made where tie bars, humps, or fillets are located.

(d) The requirements of this section shall not apply to implements of husbandry.

(e) The department, if it determines that such action is appropriate and in keeping with reasonable safety requirements, may adopt regulations establishing more stringent tread depth requirements than those specified in this section for those vehicles defined in Sections 322 and 545, and may adopt regulations establishing tread depth requirements different from those specified in this section for those vehicles listed in Section 34500.
Amended Ch. 71, Stats. 1990. Effective May 1, 1990.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:12 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
that is the one I got.....it didn't have any sub letters/numbers on it though.

I wondering if the "department" has harsher requirements (e.)

that to me sounds like a loophole for the cops. surprise!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by psoper

(1) One thirty-second (1/32) of an inch tread depth in any two adjacent grooves at any location of the tire, except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3).

(2) Four thirty-second (4/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on a tire on the steering axle of any motor vehicle specified in Section 34500, and two thirty-second of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on all other tires on the axles of these vehicles.

So which is it?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
Originally Posted by psoper
Tread Depth of Pneumatic Tires

CVC 27465. (a) No dealer or person holding a retail seller's permit shall sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, or install on a vehicle axle for use on a highway, a pneumatic tire when the tire has less than the tread depth specified in subdivision (b). This subdivision does not apply to any person who installs on a vehicle, as part of an emergency service rendered to a disabled vehicle upon a highway, a spare tire with which the disabled vehicle was equipped.

(b) No person shall use on a highway a pneumatic tire on a vehicle axle when the tire has less than the following tread depth, except when temporarily installed on a disabled vehicle as specified in subdivision (a):

(3) Six thirty-second (6/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on snow tires used in lieu of tire traction devices in posted traction device control areas.

(c) The measurement of tread depth shall not be made where tie bars, humps, or fillets are located.

(d) The requirements of this section shall not apply to implements of husbandry.

(e) The department, if it determines that such action is appropriate and in keeping with reasonable safety requirements, may adopt regulations establishing more stringent tread depth requirements than those specified in this section for those vehicles defined in Sections 322 and 545, and may adopt regulations establishing tread depth requirements different from those specified in this section for those vehicles listed in Section 34500.
Amended Ch. 71, Stats. 1990. Effective May 1, 1990.
the way I read this is:
(e) The department can make any rules they want and can write any ticket as long as they say they followed Sections 322 and 545, while following Section 34500.

whats next:
CVC 12345:
1. Any officer can write a ticket based on bias and miscontent for driving a car worse then the car that is pulled over. Jealousy is means to impound a car and if the car has a wing and a loud exhaust, they are street racers, punks, sell drugs, and do all kind of bad things. If the car that is pulled over is worth more than the cop makes in a year, automatic ticket. If the car pulled over is faster than the cops car, not the patrol car, automatic ticket. There are exceptions in reference (a)
(a) showing mass amounts of clevage or lots of leg is means to dismiss any ticket with a warning and some harrasing statement by the officer. Any sexual harrasment that is not liked, and voiced to the officer will result in an automatic ticket.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
There is a video of a mustang or something like that with drag radials in the back and a cop tried to give him a ticket for bald tires. I think the guy made the cop cite which code it was and when he said the tread depth, the guy pulled out an approved device to measure the tread and made the cop look stupid.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:20 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by ucbsti
So which is it?
Its a logic puzzle for you.

1/32 between any two adjacent grooves is condition one, However there are exceptions to that rule- you have the OR condition of needing to comply with paragraph 2 or 3 for those given situations.

Paragraph 2) stipulates 4/32 for "major grooves" on the steering axles of vehicles in sections 34500;

CVC section 34500. The department shall regulate the safe operation of the following vehicles:

(a) Motortrucks of three or more axles that are more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating.

(b) Truck tractors.

(c) Buses, schoolbuses, school pupil activity buses, youth buses, and general public paratransit vehicles.

(d) Trailers and semitrailers designed or used for the transportation of more than 10 persons, and the towing motor vehicle.

(e) Trailers and semitrailers, pole or pipe dollies, auxiliary dollies, and logging dollies used in combination with vehicles listed in subdivision...(blah blah blah)

I don't think that applies to any of us-

Then Paragraph 3) refers to the condition of tires that they will allow as "snow tires" during times of restricted travel- like chain requirements.

Section 1 is what applies to most of us in day to day use- and for the grooves to get to less than 1/32 you don't have much left
Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM

yeah, i was too lazy too look up 34500

so basically anything less than 1/32s. But yeah, I dont see why anyone would run those anyways unless you are a street racing champ running shaved ra1s