Old 06-12-2009, 12:43 PM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I thought only MJ blew Bubbles??

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=37345697
Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Still sticking to my first answer. There is no force to counter the the birds hovering. The bird is moving at 65mph with you but it's hover is not in a forward motion, it is vertical. It's position may change relative to your head, but it wouldn't slam into the front or the back window.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Car Info: '05 black c6
Originally Posted by smokey25
No because the penny is already going 600 mph.

Flip the penny up in the cabin, accelerate to 600 mph, then where does the penny go?
Now I'm more interested in a ride on the plane that can accelerate 600 mph at the flip of a coin
Old 06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Couldn't you just toss up a ball while slamming on the brakes?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
i would think the humming bird would remain at position X, while the car would still travel forward. if you just came to a quick stop, and the hummingbird stayed in the same spot, the rear windshield might hit it, depending on how long it took you to stop.

if the windows were down, the hummingbird would roundhouse kick you as it flew out the window, then hold up a big sign that said PWNED on it.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
throwing up a ball would not work as it is not hovering at a steady position. also, tying somehthing to the car would not work as it would have an anchor that was attached to the car. We would need one of those helicopters in the car to test it properly. that way it is hovering and not attached to anything when the brakes are applied.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Click and Clack answered it (link back a few posts) and even talked to a Harvard Physicist to get his confirmation.

A car or anything that is accelerating or decelerating is what they call a non-inertial reference frame, so relative to the car, the bird's momentum- being inertial ("body in motion stays in motion") will carry it forward at the speed the car was going- the only way the bird can avoid getting smacked into the windshield is if he stops "hovering" and adjusts his flight plan so that his position decelerates with the car.

Hummingbirds are quick enough that one might be able to stay off the windshield, but not if it just hovers, and not because of a lack of force.

Acceleration is mathematically related to force, remember, f=m*a, if the car is decelerating, it has a "-a" component, and the resulting force acting on the bird is in the "+" direction and in direct proportion to the bird's mass.

Krinkov- try dropping your penny next time your plane has hit the tarmac and has the engine thrust reversed- I'll bet it hits the tray table in front of you, at the very least it will wind up under the seat in front of you and not directly below where you dropped it.

Originally Posted by ipozestu
Couldn't you just toss up a ball while slamming on the brakes?
sure, give that a try...although my suggestion would be to have a passenger do the ball tossing- have them do it for a while at speed then without saying anything, hit the brakes and see where the ball lands.

Last edited by psoper; 06-12-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 1988 Carrera & 2013 Carrera S
Originally Posted by psoper
Click and Clack answered it (link back a few posts) and even talked to a Harvard Physicist to get his confirmation.

A car or anything that is accelerating or decelerating is what they call a non-inertial reference frame, so relative to the car, the bird's momentum- being inertial ("body in motion stays in motion") will carry it forward at the speed the car was going- the only way the bird can avoid getting smacked into the windshield is if he stops "hovering" and adjusts his flight plan so that his position decelerates with the car.

Hummingbirds are quick enough that one might be able to stay off the windshield, but not if it just hovers, and not because of a lack of force.

Acceleration is mathematically related to force, remember, f=m*a, if the car is decelerating, it has a "-a" component, and the resulting force acting on the bird is in the "+" direction and in direct proportion to the bird's mass.

Krinkov- try dropping your penny next time your plane has hit the tarmac and has the engine thrust reversed- I'll bet it hits the tray table in front of you, at the very least it will wind up under the seat in front of you and not directly below where you dropped it.

sure, give that a try...although my suggestion would be to have a passenger do the ball tossing- have them do it for a while at speed then without saying anything, hit the brakes and see where the ball lands.
This is correct. The thing to pay attention to in this example is not acceleration of the bird, but rather that of the car. Because the car decelerates while the bird has a constant speed (therefore not accelerating), the bird will indeed fly into the windshield unless it senses the change in acceleration and counters it.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:10 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by Krinkov
okay guys, let me tell you a bit about the THEORY OF RELATIVITY

http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~jh8h/.../chapter8.html

its all right there, no, the hummingbird doesnt move.

next time your on a airline flying 600+mph try dropping a penny, think its going to fly to the back of the plane at 600+ mph? nope
That's because we were all taken to 600 mph in the plane together, air, passengers, everything...now stop the plane suddenly in mid air...where does everything go? The nosecone...because we are still moving at 600 mph, unless we were strapped to the plane, then we all travel down together...because planes aren't meant to stop.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
haha what a brain teaser. my guess was wrong =[
Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
aww dont undercut yourself so quick!!

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I'm not that smart.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by Batto
Now I'm more interested in a ride on the plane that can accelerate 600 mph at the flip of a coin
Old 06-13-2009, 12:39 AM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
f..k that bird, I had large black widow in my car, finally B****ch drawn in opened can of Rockstar left overnight.....BTW...what about ELEVATOR????

Last edited by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac; 06-13-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:40 AM

Car Info: 02 aspen white WRX
the bird would be dead.

someone could try to get one of those micro helicopter from frys or great mall, and take it for a drive in your car. Control the helicopter to move forward while you try to match your car's speed to the helicopter.
Stop the car suddenly, I bet the helicopter will hit the front wind shield, coz it's still moving forward at a constant velocity.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:03 AM

Car Info: 08 evo
but the helicopters are hard to fly. you might hit the driver in the head haha

Quick Reply: There's a humming bird in your car...