Texas raising Speed Limit to 85 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
I was debating flying or driving out to the F1 race in Austin next year.

Mind. Made up.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Car Info: 2000 2 door RS/ daily driver vtech
I've been in texas 4 months ago, and the high way limit was 85mph, big rigs limit is 75mph, thats pretty much the only thing I like about texas, cant take weather
Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
Originally Posted by Unit 91
Rentals aren't cheap. The 318 I had was much better than the A-class I almost got stuck with. It was perfect, really as we did three countries, half the height of Germany and more over a week - about 2k kilometers. Comfortable.

Besides, we hit the top speed so that worked for me.

I used Sixt. They seemed to have really good rates, super friendly and there was no "Ring" clause that I could find.

Rent a Car:*rental cars, vans, & limousine service*- SIXT

I'd really just search around through every company you can find online. If you aren't going to drive Nürburgring then it is less of an issue who you use.
Holy crap. Rentals aren't too bad, but parking in Munich
That pretty much killed the rental idea.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Parking is expensive no matter where you go. How long are you going to be there? Are you only going to Munich?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by pter
Holy crap. Rentals aren't too bad, but parking in Munich
That pretty much killed the rental idea.
So enjoy the town, and grab the car when you are ready to hit the road.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:20 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

That's basically what I did. I stayed with the Ex's family in Heimsheim then we spent a day in Stuttgart, got a car and drove around for a week. After that we were back to Heimsheim. The nice thing is that public transport is really good. We had no issues getting back to the city if we wanted to. Of the two weeks I was there I only had a car for one week right in the middle.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 PM

The plan was to drive from Frankfurt to Munich, hitting some "unlimited" areas of road. Then 3 days in Munich before taking a train to Paris.

4 days of parking in Munich was going to wreck the budget
Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by 04GG
Which means everyone will still do 95 where it is 85, just like Cali. Not like 99% of anyone does the speed limit here unless there is a cop visible.

SF is trying to pass the 15MPH in a School zone deal, and now that SJ heard that they are proposing the same thing.
Not in Texas, its like crossing into oregon....they will literally pull you over for doing 5 mph over. Especially if you have CA tags.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

The plan was to drive from Frankfurt to Munich, hitting some "unlimited" areas of road. Then 3 days in Munich before taking a train to Paris.

4 days of parking in Munich was going to wreck the budget
Then rent the car for just the drive. If I were you I'd detour North and hit The Ring. It's worth it. Even if you're too scared of balling a rental (which means you own the rental plus any road repairs needed) it's worth seeing. It's been a year almost to the day and I'm already feeling a deep need to head to Mecca again.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Damn, sounds like I will have to start planning a second trip!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Damn, sounds like I will have to start planning a second trip!
I really want to go back... just have to figure out when.

How long are you going for? I'm massively jealous that you're going. You should drop in and say hi to my girl. Haha. No, no you shouldn't.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 PM

All in all, I'm there with my wife for almost three weeks. I hope we don't kill each other haha.
This will be one of the last vacations before we start trying for kids. So I still have a chance to go back!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

I was there for two and had a blast. What is your plan?

I flew into Frankfurt and the lady picked me up. We hung checked the city out for the day, stayed there for the night (did a REALLY cool boat ride down the river). The next day we did a walking tour of the city and then drove to her parent's place. We did an amazing Fahrradtour through the country and this beautiful medieval village about 10 miles from her hometown. Did the Porsche and Mercedes museums. Saw part of France (drove through the Black Forest with a navigator using an actual map), the German wine-country. Hit The Ring. Did Zurich. Saw the Rheinfalls. Opening night of Octoberfest in Stuttgart. Really fun times with her parents and hanging in the village. An amazing last night in Frankfurt and then I had to come home.

So many amazing memories. I can't wait to go back. I'll do it alone if I have to.

The real issue I had was the price of hotels. Otherwise everything wasn't that bad in Germany. France was reasonable. Switzerland was stupid. I got lucky getting to spend quite a bit of time at her house instead of in a hotel.

Anyhow... hope you have tons of fun. I wish I could sneak off in your suitcase.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM

My wife is not that big into cars. She had initially promised me renting a 3 Series or checking out the BMW factory tour... which of course got me thinking of BMW's Euro delivery option. That ended really quickly haha. This gradually got downgraded to a VW GTI, then to a Golf, and now the train - due to budget.

Our plan is to wander around Frankfurt for a day, head over to Munich for the start of Oktoberfest. Run around the city centre via local jogging routes, hit up a schlosse somewhere, and a museum. That's all the details I have haha

France, she wants to hit the Louvre and a bunch of other musees. Eat, sleep, I'm gonna race her up the Eiffel tower and see who can conquer the 2 flights of 300 stairs first. Winner gets an LV or equivalent lol (lose-lose situation for me, so I plan to win - just don't know how yet).

We might try to hit up a soccer game if we can get cheap tickets to one in Spain. Apparently flights between France and Spain aren't bad.

Should be a decent trip, depending on food. I'm going to try to hit up relatives of friends to show us around a couple of days. Most of them are students/student-teachers.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Sounds like a good time. There is a pretty good walking tour of Frankfurt done by an ex-pat. If I talk to my ex I'll ask her if she still has the info. I really liked Frankfurt quite a lot. You could do a boat ride down the Main. The German stock exchange is there. There is a really interesting memorial to the Jews killed in WWII. You can spend quite a lot of time there, really. I could probably go on and on about things to see just in that city alone.

My ex isn't a big car nut at all, but she trooped it out for me. We saw the Porsche and Mercedes museums on the same day and she actually enjoyed them. Hell, she liked the Ring, too.

Have a really good time. Again, super jealous.

This might give you some good ideas of things to see in Stadt Frankfurt am Main:
http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detai...317578&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=177743

Last edited by Unit 91; 09-14-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Texas raising Speed Limit to 85 MPH