Tell us a secret you know because of your work that others might not know

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Car Info: Subaru 2009 Forester
Originally Posted by brucelee
It is SOOOOO awesome that you use the word "Hella"!!!!

We <3 Chinabox!
thank you !!!!

it is soooooo bad that i use other words!!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
[QUOTE=JuanitoBurrito;3167061]
Originally Posted by Overbear

To solve this problem, use sta-bul or another fuel treetment in every tank. I keep a bulk supply (buy it in 5 gal tanks) and it goes into every tankful. The products help seperate the water out (making the fuel hydrophobic).

So when this product "separates" the water, where does the water go?
HUH?????
Old 11-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
[QUOTE=Shayhan27;3167079]
Originally Posted by JuanitoBurrito

HUH?????
sta-bul and other products like it, bond to the H2O in the fuel and make it combustable (I can't remember the exact chemical compound it forms) so that it will burn cleaner and not foul the burn rate of said fuel.

It goes out the exaust pipe.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
With out this part working we can not send everyone junk mail.

Name:  20120131_135455.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  87.1 KB

There is a short somewhere in this picture

Name:  20120119_134753.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  69.3 KB
Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Car Info: 2011 Forester XT
Sony doesn't make the LCD screens that go into their LCD TVs, they buy the screens from Samsung's plant in South Korea then assemble their TVs in Japan. So if you compare the same sized TV from Sony and Samsung with the same specs, yet Sony's costs more? Yep, Sony's price markup.

The machines used to deposit the pixels onto the glass of the biggest TV's on the market are also used to make smaller screens, all the way down to hand-held devices. They simply cut the glass into smaller pieces after it comes out of the machine.

More than 75% of the world's LCD panels are made by machines designed locally in Santa Clara. Building the machines made the company one of the US's top consumers of aluminum, they were even the #1 consumer at one point. Most of this company's manufacturing has moved to Asian now since the systems got so big they couldn't ship them with 747 cargo jets any longer (and shipping via An-225 was done a couple of times, but proved to not be cost effective).
Old 02-03-2012, 12:07 PM

My friends dad was an "expert witness" in a copyright infringement case involving LCD screens. He hired me and my friend to go to best buy and purchase 20 brand new LCD tvs and smash them into pieces for him.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by ingomonk
Sony doesn't make the LCD screens that go into their LCD TVs, they buy the screens from Samsung's plant in South Korea then assemble their TVs in Japan. So if you compare the same sized TV from Sony and Samsung with the same specs, yet Sony's costs more? Yep, Sony's price markup.

The machines used to deposit the pixels onto the glass of the biggest TV's on the market are also used to make smaller screens, all the way down to hand-held devices. They simply cut the glass into smaller pieces after it comes out of the machine.

More than 75% of the world's LCD panels are made by machines designed locally in Santa Clara. Building the machines made the company one of the US's top consumers of aluminum, they were even the #1 consumer at one point. Most of this company's manufacturing has moved to Asian now since the systems got so big they couldn't ship them with 747 cargo jets any longer (and shipping via An-225 was done a couple of times, but proved to not be cost effective).
Yes, they use the same panels. But the processor inside, what actually transmits the picture, is different. Along with a whole host of other parts. And if you haven't noticed recently, Samsungs cost more than Sony's now. Unless you are looking at Sony's top of the line. Otherwise you will pay more for the Samsung.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Car Info: 2011 Forester XT
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Yes, they use the same panels. But the processor inside, what actually transmits the picture, is different. Along with a whole host of other parts. And if you haven't noticed recently, Samsungs cost more than Sony's now. Unless you are looking at Sony's top of the line. Otherwise you will pay more for the Samsung.
Correct sir! It has been more than 2 years since I worked at that company so my brain must be getting old and I forgot about that part

Another thing I just remembered, these same systems were converted to try and make low cost solar panels. Essentially using the same process to etch photo receptive pixels rather than display pixels on the glass. After 1-2 years and $2 billion spent on development the project was scrapped. They were only able to get to about 10% solar efficiency but it wasn't uniform across the glass so it wasn't cost effective.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by ingomonk

Mods...Can we please change the title of this thread to "Stuff I heard in a breakroom at a company I worked at years ago"?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 2011 DGM STI HB
From a lifetime spent in the booze business, tequila does provide the happiest buzz.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:56 PM

With out this wire we can not send you junk mail:

Name:  20120216_134130.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  108.9 KB
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Just curious, do you guys actually heed requests to be removed from mailing lists?

I've been trying to get off the Pennysaver mailing list for months
Even joined https://sanjose.catalogchoice.org/ and those *******s won't leave me alone
Old 02-17-2012, 12:03 AM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
I'm starting my new job soon, If I tell the secret, I'll be out of job
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lowend
Just curious, do you guys actually heed requests to be removed from mailing lists?

I've been trying to get off the Pennysaver mailing list for months
Even joined https://sanjose.catalogchoice.org/ and those *******s won't leave me alone
Nope, if you are on our clients list we send you stuff. If you would like to stop receiving direct advertising mail there is a trick. First make sure the mail you don't want is first class. Second tape the first class letter to a brick, phonebook or a chunk of lead. Third, Wright "return to sender" on the offending mail and drop it in a mail box. The sender of bulk mail is required to pay for return postage. Costing them money will get a red flag assosiated with your name and address insuring no more junk mail.

Quick Reply: Tell us a secret you know because of your work that others might not know