AT&T GSM vs Cingular

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:16 PM

Car Info: RIP: 2000 2.5RS Sedan, BRP Now: 08 WRB WRX Hatch
Question AT&T GSM vs Cingular

contract on cingular is about to end in a couple days... i want to move to att but i had a couple people say the att gsm network is better than cingular in most places and others say its worse and avoid it...

anyone here have experience on the gsm network for att? compared to cingular... i know att's tdma network is good but they don't have the phone i want =/

Daios (Day-ohhss)
Old 10-14-2003, 02:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: SCBYDON
AT&T has better reception imho...i've had cingular for 5 years (even back when they were still pac bell), but cingular plans are better though as far as text messaging, i used to to international txt msging with cingular and its free, with AT&t, they charge you, trade off on the good reception for the limits they have on their plan, so far i like it, i've had the service for just a couple of months though, so we'll see
Old 10-14-2003, 02:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I have AT&T GSM and it works fine for me. When I lived in Santa Barbara one of my cell phone geek friends was on Cingular and we got very similar reception. His was marginally better, but the Cingular network was also overloaded, so he gave/received more busy signals then I.

As for Northern CA, I haven't been able to compare as in depth. In the few places that I've had dead spots in SF or Sac, Cingular also had a dead spot (the times I've had a cingular user right next to me).

Overall I'm happy with AT&T GSM. I've had it for about 6 months now and its never let me down.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:42 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
I have Cingular and I am happy with them. I have had cingular for over 4 years with out any major problems.

-Zoeb
Old 10-14-2003, 02:46 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
there is a 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile area near my house that i roam into cingular... other than that, i've had no problems with AT&T GSM service (especially now that my work is footing the monthly charges). in fact, i have better reception with my new phone than my old tdma with AT&T.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
I was on Cingular back when it was Pac Bell Wireless, and now I've been on AT&T GSM since it came out. All I gotta say is two words: VERIZON WIRELESS... I'm switching as soon as my AT&T contract is up. It's got the best reception out there.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:22 PM

Car Info: White 04 Sti
I got ATT's GSM phone for a few months now and I have to say...it sucks

The phone, Panasonic camera flip phone, is cool but I get very spotty signal all over the bay area. The only places are good are around major freeways. There are a lot of blind spots, usually near or in residential areas such as Palo Alto, Cupertino, or areas far away from freeways.

I think Cingular is better for GSM since that's their specialty. They have more towers around.

Good luck.

Will
Old 10-14-2003, 03:38 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Verizon sucks...
Old 10-14-2003, 03:47 PM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
i have att gsm and i've been having TONS of issues with the service.. it just SUX.. dropped calls all the time, crappy reception... wut else... apparently my phone crashes all the time, and when i went in to get a new one, the guy told me that when you hit a spot that has overlapping gsm coverage the phone gets confused and turns off. i was like: great...
so yeah.. i liked verizon coverage.. was quite good... but didn't like their customer service they tried to screw me over, and i ended up reporting them to the better business bureau
Old 10-14-2003, 07:34 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
I looked into AT&T GSM when I was going overseas last year, they don't have much domestic coverage at all outside of major metropolitan areas, and their roaming rates overseas are better than Nextel, but still damn expensive, and while your phone is locked for the first year you can't get onto other overseas networks without paying the roaming charges.

I stayed with my AT&T CDMA plan stateside (probably some of the best coverage available- even out in the sticks) and just bought a cheapo GSM phone in China that I can put a chip in for wherever I'm at when I'm over there.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Verizon is the worst here. I know probably 20 people that have cancelled due to shoddy reception.

I've been a std. AT&T customer for 3 years after I gave up on Cingular/PacBell...and I just switched to AT&T GSM two days ago. Great reception and the step up in clarity really is noticable. No reception issues on 280 like I had with my old phone.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:26 PM

hmm... well i'm only going to be using it here in the bay area and don't txt overseas (maybe sometimes) but i get a lot of incoming txt which sucks on cingular since they ding you on incoming txt no matter what... hmm... might just have to test it out myself and see how it is since they do have a 30 day guarantee on it... the att near uckk is also giving me a great deal on it too...

Daios (Day-ohhss)
Old 10-14-2003, 08:34 PM

Car Info: 2001 RS
as i make my presence again as a store manager for cingular wireless, AT&T just launched there GSM network and we are actually roaming partners so that kinda saves at&t a little, while at&t is rebuilding there cell sites into gsm, cingular is gonna just keep improving and improving. there at&t "tdma" network works great but my opinion on there gsm is just about the same or equal as far as coverage. we have cheaper rate plans all are triband phone come unlock, if you have an att or t mobile phone ill be more than happy to unlock it for you...

Also we just launched "FAST FORWARD" basically its a feature thats $2.99 a month, if you have a weak signal in your house you basically purchase this cradle which youll start to see at your local cingular stores and plug that into a phone jack and plug your cell phone on it and it forwards all your calls to your home phone, minutes are based upon your plan so you can talk how ever much as you want at no additional cost as long as your within your minutes. so the question is whats the difference with the normal call forward feature ? well each minute you use thats forwarded is 10 cents rather the fast forward is free.

Note: fast forward is only good within your home calling area meaning you cant forward your calls to a different city..

Old 10-14-2003, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 2001 RS
also you guys should ask gino from gb motorsports about coverage because i believe he's a tech for att and i believe he builds the cell sites? im not sure but ask him

where u at gino?????
Old 10-15-2003, 11:55 AM

hoy gino!

Daios (Day-ohhss)

Quick Reply: AT&T GSM vs Cingular