suggestions on coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:56 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
suggestions on coilovers?

hey guys I'm pretty stuck on which coilovers to get for my car. also I'm pretty low on budget and i was thinking about getting the GODSPEED coilovers for about $500 off ebay "which i have enough money for" or tein coilovers which i don't have enough for and would probably have to save up for months since i have no job. and are does anybody know anything about the GODSPEED coilovers because i'd rather save up for the good kinds rather than the getting cheaper ones that would give out easily. Any suggestions?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
There are so many things missing from the OP's post.

What's your goal with the car? Do you just want to be slammed? Is it going to be a track/autox/performance car of any sort? Do you want a slight drop?

Application is the most important thing to choosing your suspension parts. Second is money. What is your budget?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Car Info: WRX 2002
What are you going to be using the coilovers for? DD, autox, fun? :]
Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Obviously, it's best to answer the questions the previous posters asked just to make sure you get the right advice. However, deducing from your post about how you're strapped for cash, I'm going to assume that you are looking for a DD setup.

First off, save for a GOOD QUALITY system, whether you end up pairing springs and shocks or getting full on coilovers, don't buy the cheapo stuff. Since suspension affects how your car rides, if you get cheap ones that screw up how your car rides, you'll hate driving.

I personally love the Ground Control coil sleeves + Koni Yellow shocks (throw on KYB AGXs instead if you want to save some $$). There's a couple threads, some even pretty recent, on how much people love this setup. It allows you to set up your car exactly how you want it, since you can choose any spring rate you want (and spring length if you care). Also, since you're on a budget, you can get shocks first and run the shocks with the stock springs until you can afford the Ground Controls.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 AM

Car Info: WRX
How much metastability do you want and how do plan to drive on them?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
ground control if you have the money

josh
Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
I've heard Tein's can be harsh, and Megan Racing blow up pretty easily. So far I'm pleased with the BC Racing BR series coilovers ($600 used). On the softer settings, they're pretty comfortable unless the road is really rough (unpaved dirt/rocks). On the stiff settings, it gives me the response I'm looking for on track days.

If you're not working, for $500 I would recommend going with a set of springs and swaybars. You can get the same performance/lowering looks without the hassle of rebuilding broken coilovers ($$$), adjusting & matching ride height on all 4 corners, etc.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM

Car Info: DGM BRZ
Ground Control from Eibach? I'm interested in buying some also for my 02. Looking for something that is reliable and will last me a long while. A little bit of spirited driving here and there, but no autoX yet. Just a DD.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 AM

Car Info: WRX 2002
Yeah for low cash i picked up some tanabe springs :] but no offense to anybody but i heard also that Tein just pays hella people to advertise there things thats why its so out there, it is good but way over priced. haha just saying.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Car Info: Wing
save your money buy it once and buy it right.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by jaytheman
Yeah for low cash i picked up some tanabe springs :] but no offense to anybody but i heard also that Tein just pays hella people to advertise there things thats why its so out there, it is good but way over priced. haha just saying.
The SOA rally team uses Tein rally-spec coilovers. I.e. Travis Pastrana's rally car has Tein coilovers.

But FWIW, over the last few years, i've found that a quality coilover setup is much smoother and responsive than a spring/strut setup.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 AM

don't even bother, save your money instead
Old 04-13-2010, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 99 legacy gt
chech out this thread it might help u https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/ultimate-gd-suspension-guide-coilovers-springs-dampers-sways-reviews-etc-169077/
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
Yes quality coilovers are better, but the OP's question is about a limited budget set up not quality coilovers. IMO, the cheaper coilovers aren't worth it due to the harsh ride + more frequent to leaks/blow outs and high rebuild costs. I'd rather spend $500 on springs, swaybars, and a good alignment. Then use what's leftover for tires.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:24 PM

Car Info: DGM BRZ
Someone recommend me some high quality coilovers since it seems these are a bit more important. I want a smooth ride and something that can deal with a bit of spirited driving. Nothing too serious though.

Quick Reply: suggestions on coilovers?