Submitting a claim to CalTrans... (Solano County)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Submitting a claim to CalTrans... (Solano County)

For those of you who live in Solano County (like me) or drive through Solano County on a daily basis you will have noticed all the road work going on, on I-80. In particular, you will notice the down right laziness and/or unreasonably high elevations and dips in the pavement. Often times when you come out of a low dip, you are treated by a LOUD THUMP, as the pavement surface is so uneven that they may as well have put speed bumps on I-80.

This does not happen merely once in a while, rather for the last few months it has been a DAILY occurrence that my car is been jolted by uneven pavement surface MULTIPLE times on my 10 mile commute.

My front bumper has numerous rock chips that were not present before, along with a few cracks in my windshield from loose pavement being flung my way. I haven't officially confirmed it yet, but I think my sstruts are needing replaced as well.

Also, my mothers BMW has taken a lot of abuse in the form of rock chips. The hood and front bumper needs touched up or repainted AND she also needs a new windshield.

My biggest issue with the construction is that it is sloppy and these claims would be avoidable IF the contractors were doing their job properly. I don't know any other construction industry that can get away with leaving parts of their job uncompleted and DANGEROUS to those passing by.

So if any of you would like to share your stories... this thread will be the place.

If you have has damage to your car here are the links that you need to submit a claim to CalTrans.

Pave 80 website

Claim Form - under $5000

Claims $5000 and above

-rob
Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: e39
let me know how that claim goes. I live in fairfield and I hella know what your talking about. I live off Waterman and I actually take a different exit now because of the crazy bump for that exit. I thought I destroyed my fenders when I exited
Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
It was unreal when I was driving that stretch of 80, I was completely flabbergasted the first time I hit one of those bumps. They look much more innocuous than they actually are. . In Napa there's a dip a block from my house that is just RIDICULOUS. There's a giant bulge in the middle of the road and because of cars parked on the curbs it's impossible to dodge it. The main problem though is at the top of the dip, there is a giant hole in the top of the bulge, it's just ridiculous.

Northern California road conditions are stupid, I don't know how they haven't been sued more.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Originally Posted by manhands
It was unreal when I was driving that stretch of 80, I was completely flabbergasted the first time I hit one of those bumps. They look much more innocuous than they actually are. . In Napa there's a dip a block from my house that is just RIDICULOUS. There's a giant bulge in the middle of the road and because of cars parked on the curbs it's impossible to dodge it. The main problem though is at the top of the dip, there is a giant hole in the top of the bulge, it's just ridiculous.

Northern California road conditions are stupid, I don't know how they haven't been sued more.
at least wooden valley is nicely paved.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:07 PM

Car Info: DGM 14 BRZ
cal trans is fighting alot of these by saying its your fault YOU did not avoid whatever it was the f'd your car up,my windshield is cracked to hell from driving through recently,i was warned that it can ad a point to my insurance and DMV report as "at fault"
Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 04.7 AW Time Attack STi
Everytime I go over the W. Texas overpass 80 westbound it feels like my truck just fell apart. Pretty damn gnarly, I'll do a claim for my shocks.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Goin to BAM on 80 thru fairfield was terrible!!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
when i took 80 to davis my radar detector was knocked off my windshield and i hit my head on my roof multiple times, it is ridiculous and if you slow down you almost get re ended...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
i agree with all of you, driving to and from thunderhill was a ****ing nightmare driving through there. plus all of the asphault trucks were getting on and off the freeway with rocks and **** still falling out from the trucks and **** was flying everywhere.

i already submitted a claim for the giant chips taken outta my windshield that the semis through up at me. i have pictures from that afternoon at the track too with no chips. pics that i took prior to leaving home. i will keep ya posted on the acts that follow.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Yeah let me know how what they have to say about it.

This **** really pisses me off.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:15 AM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
I just experienced these bumps coming to work tonight and those things ****ed my car up!!!I literally hit my head going over those bumps doing 65 and there is no warning signs at all. I swear my tires came off the ground, and when i got off on my exit i heard a nice rubbing noice in my front fender. straight up bs how that road is set up right now
Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 AM

Car Info: .
I hit them going to Reno. I was amazed I didn't bend/crack a wheel. for Volk's.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Originally Posted by manhands

I agree. ^^

government incompetence at its best - I should file a class-action lawsuit against the SSA since I will never see a penny of the thousands of dollars that are forcibly taken from me every year, and the countless millions taken from all those productive members of my generation that are being flushed down the gigantic government drain.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:32 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I tried to fight caltrans for some struts I blew years ago and it was just a long run around and nothing ever came of it.

They were doing freeway work and they ground out a huge chunk of the highway and didn't put an angle on the strait cut like they're suppose to. And the ONLY warning was a single construction sign with a blinking light that was covered by a sand bag.

I blew all 4 struts.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I always thought Oregon had some horrible roads but since i have lived here for the last 4 years cali has to have the worst roads ever. The uneven pavement is horrible all around and the potholes are getting so horrible almost so hard to even avoid them anymore. Good luck to all your claims but doesnt sound like they will own up to it.

Last year or so there was a bolt like 6inches long and rather thick went right through one of our bbs when we took an exit off of 87.. Good think i had an extra wheel at home.

Quick Reply: Submitting a claim to CalTrans... (Solano County)