Square Credit Card Reader

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Square Credit Card Reader

Has anyone ever heard of these? I just got one and it is kinda nifty.

https://squareup.com/

Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I have a similar thing, but it plugs into the audio jack atop my iPhone (looks like that one plugs unto the audio jack as well). For some reason intuit's iPod connection swiper doesn't work with the iPhone 4

BTW Jourdan, you're taking CC's now? What corner you on?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

I think the picture I posted is a iPod so the audio jack is on the bottom.

I figured I would give it a shot. There are a few people that owe me money so this might make it easier to collect.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:21 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU

I figured I would give it a shot. There are a few people that owe me money so this might make it easier to collect.
Well, be aware that there is a fee per swipe and a percentage of each charge goes to the company, just like any merchant accepting cards. It might be cheaper in your case to have an Italian get the money pout of 'em. Capiche?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU

What are the additional monthly fees that go with that? (if any)
Old 05-24-2011, 11:27 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Well, be aware that there is a fee per swipe and a percentage of each charge goes to the company, just like any merchant accepting cards. It might be cheaper in your case to have an Italian get the money pout of 'em. Capiche?
Or I can just add the fee to their bill.

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
no monthly fees, just 2.75% per transaction.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
I just looked it up, and it seems like (as with Intuits sub-$1,000/month plan) there is no monthly fee, and no swipe fee.

Swiped cards are 2.75% with no base fee
Keyed cards are 3.5% plus a $0.15 fee per transaction.

Intuit is about the same with 2.7% per swipe for their basic plan. If you pay $12.95/month it is 1.7% per swipe and 2.7% for keyed entries. Both levels offer no transaction fees.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Google ads is catching on...

Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Identifier of i-Club members

Car Info: 2009 wrx
im iffy about giving a random company over the internet my social security number.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:40 PM

Car Info: @eatwithnaveed
im not sure if this is good or bad. seems cool so that more places will take cards now, but at the same time, seems easy to steal someones account info and use their card.. if they can make something like this, im sure they can make something to read and copy the code on the magnet of the card.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
There are major differences between Intuit's GoPayment and SquareUp, though, they do pretty much the same thing. Both are legit, though SquareUp is a much much smaller company than Intuit. One is based in SF, the other in San Mateo or something. SquareUp is more geared toward personal use, and small business owners, while Intuit GoPayment would be better suited for businesses, especially those that use Quickbooks.

The online portion of the two are very different also. Square is very simplistic and straight forward, while Intuit offers more powerful tools and interface.

SquareUp current supports iPhone and Android phones, while Intuit does both of those and also Blackberry's... however... reviews often state that the Intuit's reader is usually hit or miss with various phones. Even more so than SquareUp's. Even though SquareUp's readers are only available on two platfroms, iOS (iPhone and iPad and iPod if you have wireless), it seems to be more compatible than Intuits readers. The other thing is that Square offers you a free reader. Intuit's reader is actually $185, but when you sign up, they waive the cost.

The main downside about SquareUp is their customer support. They don't have any phone system you can call, and are sometimes slow resolving problems. There are other key differences between the two systems, but... I am too lazy to tell people.

If you guys want more info between the two, I set up a spreadsheet with Pro's/Con's etc.

PM me for more info.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:15 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by darkonion
There are major differences between Intuit's GoPayment and SquareUp, though, they do pretty much the same thing. Both are legit, though SquareUp is a much much smaller company than Intuit. One is based in SF, the other in San Mateo or something. SquareUp is more geared toward personal use, and small business owners, while Intuit GoPayment would be better suited for businesses, especially those that use Quickbooks.

The online portion of the two are very different also. Square is very simplistic and straight forward, while Intuit offers more powerful tools and interface.

SquareUp current supports iPhone and Android phones, while Intuit does both of those and also Blackberry's... however... reviews often state that the Intuit's reader is usually hit or miss with various phones. Even more so than SquareUp's. Even though SquareUp's readers are only available on two platfroms, iOS (iPhone and iPad and iPod if you have wireless), it seems to be more compatible than Intuits readers. The other thing is that Square offers you a free reader. Intuit's reader is actually $185, but when you sign up, they waive the cost.

The main downside about SquareUp is their customer support. They don't have any phone system you can call, and are sometimes slow resolving problems. There are other key differences between the two systems, but... I am too lazy to tell people.

If you guys want more info between the two, I set up a spreadsheet with Pro's/Con's etc.

PM me for more info.
Referring to the bolded item: That statement is pointless because you have to sign up to use/get it.

However, I do NOT like Intuits interface online. Finding my account infor and whatnot is a PITA. The app however is pretty straight forward (I just wish I could set up custom items rather than setting a name, description, and price for everything.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
That's a damn good idea... Someone's going to get REALLY friggin Rich(er).
Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Cheaper & quicker than PayPal! And then there's the upcoming NFC chip payment system Google is announcing possibly tomorrow if not by June 1st.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Want to steal my car?
I get stabby!

Car Info: 05 Wrx Impreza
A Drug dealers dream come true...

Quick Reply: Square Credit Card Reader