So I missed my jury duty date....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 90 s13 hb, 87 gts, 08 frontier
So I missed my jury duty date....

Ya, i missed it. in switching bedrooms in my house and working, plus school, i totally flopped on it.
a few weeks ago i got a letter in the mail stating that i can show up any Monday until a specified date to go in and do it.
problem is that i cant afford to miss school or work just to attend a jury duty date, and everyone's freaking me out saying that its just to go to get arrested for missing the original date

im guessing first thing is to call them, but what do i say? has anyone been as stupid as me and missed the only duty you hold as a citizen? Ignore it and move on with my life (probably not the best right)? i looked some stuff up on Google, issues are it either doesn't pertain to this state, and cant really trust the most random sites.

any serious help is appreciated. thank you
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Don't call. Don't do anything.

You'll get a letter that says next time you do this we'll file charges or some crap. I did it once on accident.

It's like a get out of jail free card. You'll get the letter within a couple weeks probably.

Or you can call and say sorry... they won't care.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Jacare
Ya, i missed it. in switching bedrooms in my house and working, plus school, i totally flopped on it.
a few weeks ago i got a letter in the mail stating that i can show up any Monday until a specified date to go in and do it.
problem is that i cant afford to miss school or work just to attend a jury duty date, and everyone's freaking me out saying that its just to go to get arrested for missing the original date

im guessing first thing is to call them, but what do i say? has anyone been as stupid as me and missed the only duty you hold as a citizen? Ignore it and move on with my life (probably not the best right)? i looked some stuff up on Google, issues are it either doesn't pertain to this state, and cant really trust the most random sites.

any serious help is appreciated. thank you
There should be an option to be excused from jury duty on the back of the summons for a variety of reasons, including work.

But if you sent the summons in and didn't attend, it's probably a fine. It's better to call them.

Also, you won't trust random Internet sites.... But this IS a random site with equally reliable /unreliable information.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using i-Club
Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Wongr. That's not how it works.

You get a summons. You are required to call in every day for the week they tell you too. If you don't check it and you don't get called... no big deal. If you don't check it and you do get called and don't show... big deal. But not the end of the world. They'll send him a letter that sounds really bad but as long as he doesn't do it repeatedly he's fine.

As for getting out of it... work isn't going to do it anymore unless you're going to be out of the country or something. Even working in the medical field won't get you out. Every job is required to give you time off to report so missing work is not a valid excuse.

And you don't have to send anything in unless you're trying to get out of it.

Date.Call. That's it.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:43 PM

Car Info: 90 s13 hb, 87 gts, 08 frontier
Originally Posted by w0ng3r
There should be an option to be excused from jury duty on the back of the summons for a variety of reasons, including work.

But if you sent the summons in and didn't attend, it's probably a fine. It's better to call them.

Also, you won't trust random Internet sites.... But this IS a random site with equally reliable /unreliable information.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using i-Club
difference is this is a site that has people that are more local to me, some that i have met in person, and even some friends. better than just going to yahoo answers right?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
I did the same thing a few months ago. Totally blanked and forgot. Called the next day and said something stupid like "oops I think I had jury duty yesterday" and he said no problem. They really don't care, as long as you aren't needed (which is like 95% of the time from what I've heard)
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Car Info: 2013 swp hatch
Online, you can postpone it. If you're unable to, simply call and tell them you have school and would like to post pone it. They'll ask when is best for you, just push it back till like October. If you miss the date, call them and reschedule it for a later date. I was able to post pone it for 6-8 months at a time.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Every county is somewhat different?

When you go in, there will be a chance to tell your hardship. They will excuse you
Old 01-18-2013, 02:59 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
My step-sister was talking about this about a month ago. From what she understood about it, was if you never verify that you received the letter (aka never called to verify if you need to report or did anything to show you received your summon) then there's no way for them to verify you received your summon. Mail gets lost all the time. Just don't do it every time, because the mail isn't that unreliable. lol
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Delete this page.

They can't prove you ever received the Summons letter
Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Damn bro, your totally going to jail.... Get ready man. Don't shower, it's less attractive.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by Javirex23
Damn bro, your totally going to jail.... Get ready man. Don't shower, it's less attractive.
The truthhh
Old 01-18-2013, 03:08 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
They're revoking your citizenship and giving it to someone else bro. Hope your angus is peppered.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
I was over seas when mine came and was scheduled then. Nothing ever happened to me.

Quick Reply: So I missed my jury duty date....