i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Sheriff's patrol car hits bicyclists, kills 2...Stevens Creek (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/sheriffs-patrol-car-hits-bicyclists-kills-2-stevens-creek-180774/)

kYLEMtnCRUZr 03-10-2008 10:42 PM

i didnt know that^

he shouldve blamed it on the computer, cuz now they are gonna ban or limit cops overtime and im sure many love overtime aka sitting out of their jurisdiction at the end of Skyline sleeping in their Explorers...dont ask how i know

shagginwagon 03-10-2008 10:50 PM

He wasn't working overtime, according to SC Sheriff's Dept. Falling asleep behind the wheel is completely inexcusable for any driver, much less an officer of the law in the middle of the day. 'Nobody is perfect' is a cop out excuse, pardon the pun. He made a conscious choice to continue on whenever the first indications of fatigue set in.

I hope that at the very least, people who read about this story will think REALLY hard the next time they feel heavy eyelids while behind the wheel. The risk is not just bumping a guardrail or a ticket - it's peoples' lives.

The Merc News has updated their story, but it is pretty flippin graphic.

[url]http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8519919?nclick_check=1[/url]

kYLEMtnCRUZr 03-10-2008 10:57 PM

yeah SJ Merc or any news for that matter cant be trusted, like in the Tiger Mauling...one day the wall was legal height, the next it was too short etc.

IF the guy has sleep apnea then he would be excused. Otherwise i dont see how its humanly possible to fall asleep when your job is on the line...or peoples lives. Yes he made the conscious decision to continue to drive, which is just as bad as taking off on the road drunk if that were the case. but they need to run tests for sleep apnea or whatever on their officers since they are driving 200 miles a day.

pwnx0rz 03-10-2008 11:02 PM

how ironic. i was leaving a parking lot and looked down at my radio and ended up hitting a dodge intrepid with huge antennas. turns out it was a under cover cop...

only one speeding ticket, and my only accident is with a cop:(

psoper 03-11-2008 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=kYLEMtnCRUZr;2138375]
IF the guy has sleep apnea then he would be excused. [/QUOTE]

If he had sleep apnea he would be excused for asphixiating himself at night or keeping his partner up with irregular snoring, but not for this, (I think you are confusing apnea with narcolepsy)

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea[/url]

[QUOTE=kYLEMtnCRUZr;2138375]Otherwise i dont see how its humanly possible to fall asleep when your job is on the line...or peoples lives. Yes he made the conscious decision to continue to drive, which is just as bad as taking off on the road drunk if that were the case. but they need to run tests for narcolepsy on their officers since they are driving 200 miles a day.[/QUOTE]

(fixed)

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy[/url]

subie OCD 03-11-2008 11:17 AM

Falling asleep on a twisty mountain road in the middle of the day?????

:confused: :( :dizzy: :mad:

yayitzian 03-11-2008 11:24 AM

should go on that rate my cop site and rate him poorly.

lol

BlingBlingBlue 03-11-2008 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=subie OCD;2138920]Falling asleep on a twisty mountain road in the middle of the day?????

:confused: :( :dizzy: :mad:[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. A straight, deserted freeway at night is much more plausible than a curvy mountain road in the middle of the day.

kYLEMtnCRUZr 03-11-2008 11:29 AM

i still dont know if there were witnesses or not, like if they saw the action or just heard it

he shouldve wrapped some twine in his wheel and blamed it on vandalism..."i left my door open at the dam, then some punk kids wrapped twine inside my steering column"

psoper 03-11-2008 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=subie OCD;2138920]Falling asleep on a twisty mountain road in the middle of the day?????

:confused: :( :dizzy: :mad:[/QUOTE]

Read the wiki link on narcolepsy, that is exactly the kind of thing that can happen to someone suffering from this medical condition.

subie OCD 03-11-2008 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=psoper;2138996]Read the wiki link on narcolepsy, that is exactly the kind of thing that can happen to someone suffering from this medical condition.[/QUOTE]

Does the officer have this condition? If so, he should be relieved of duty/put to a desk job.

slow04wrx 03-11-2008 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=subie OCD;2139004]Does the officer have this condition? If so, he should be relieved of duty/put to a desk job.[/QUOTE]

seems to me like you'd know if you have it, and it would be even more ****ed up to keep driving especially as a servant of the people. I dont think he randomly feel asleep for the first time guys.

kYLEMtnCRUZr 03-11-2008 12:41 PM

yeah. I have firefighter friends that have back problems and dont tell because if they tell, they are put on light duty which sucks in the first place AND they cant work overtime...and firefighters LLLLLOVE overtime LOL

lazyboys and XBOX 360's FTW!

psoper 03-11-2008 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=subie OCD;2139004]Does the officer have this condition? If so, he should be relieved of duty/put to a desk job.[/QUOTE]

Yes that is true, although I would point out that narcolepsy is often an advancing condition, where he may have gotten through basic training and even a few years on the job before it progressed to this level, as it often does go undetected until something terrible like this happens.

I'm not trying to excuse him or anything, I think you'll note I was one of the harsher critics of this guy earlier in the thread, I just thought maybe some of you could stand to learn a little bit more about narcolepsy.

subie OCD 03-11-2008 01:16 PM

^^No, I understand where you're coming from. Thanks for the link, my main knowledge of narcolepsy came from Duece Bigalow Male Gigalow ;)