sell the car without the title in my hands. help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 2010 FXT - 2016 crosstek - 1996 impreza outback
sell the car without the title in my hands. help?

Been looking online and cant find my awnser. Im trying to sell the subi, still owe the bank some money. Im going to have to take the buyers money and send it off before i get the title. Can i write up a doc that states i have sold the car to this person and all responsability is on them, get signed, let them take the car, then give them the title a couple days later? im new at this and really have no idea. would hate if the crash and it comes back on me //thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Call the DMV.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Get a liability form and bill of sale from the dmv website
Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
as far as the lien holder, you should call your bank and ask them the appropriate steps to take.

as for selling a car with no title, i just did this a month ago with no title. it's not a big deal at all so don't worry about it.

5 things you need to do:
reg form 227
reg form 262
smog cert
bill of sale (don't REALLY need this, but it's nice to do it)
notice of transfer and release of liability
make copies of all the paperwork!!!!!!!!!!! give them the original forms that you guys fill out, since THEY take that stuff to the dmv. but keep copies for your own files.

Please see "How to Change Vehicle Ownership" on dmv website How to Change Vehicle Ownership

TRANSFER OF TITLE
Transfer of Title and request duplicate (REG 227) on dmv website which releases you as the owner and transfers a new ownership title in their name which they will get a new title in their name in the mail from DMV. this is the same thing that is on the BACK on the title "pink slip" that everybody is used to seeing.
if there is a lien holder in your case (the bank owns the car) then you need to fill out the appropriate sections (sections 2 and 5) on that form for that, plus it must be notarized.

TRANSFER OF REGISTRATION
also the Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) which will register the car to them. this is the "sticker on the license plate" registration that you get every year.
you must get this form in person at the DMV. you cannot print it out.
**the buyer is responsible for the payment of all applicable transfer fees and use tax that may apply**

smog certification. i think i paid like $24 at a local smog check place and it took 5 minutes.

BILL OF SALE
this is something i also made on MSword. just standard bill of sale
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Z61EbcYz4/edit

GET COPIES OF ALL PAPERWORK BEFORE YOU GIVE THEM THE KEYS AND VEHICLE

------

ONCE THEY DRIVE OFF WITH YOUR VEHICLE, go on the dmv website and update the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability. there is also a form you can fill out...... but why do that when it takes a minute to do online
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/nrl/welcome.htm

Last edited by Rescuer; 10-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the help my friend. i should be able to do all this and send him the title a couple days later right?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 PM
VIP Member

i edited it a few times with more info
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by blakeM.U.R.T
Thanks for the help my friend. i should be able to do all this and send him the title a couple days later right?
no, you aren't sending him the new title. the DMV sends him a new title since they print it out and mail it to them.

you just fill out the forms to transfer the title with your info and theirs, you both sign them, your lien holder signs it.

reg 227 is you telling the dmv that you are releasing the vehicle to them. the 2nd page of that form is them requesting the dmv to register the new title in their name and mail it to them.

reg227 is the same forms that are on a normal title "pink slip."

Last edited by Rescuer; 10-10-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM

the title isnt lost, the bank has it. after he pays me, i pay the rest of my loan and then they send it to me. i just want to be able to give the car to the buyer so they dont have to give me their money and wait a week for me to recive the title before releasing the car to them. i just want to make sure that if they crash it on the way home, its on them, not me because the title is still in my name.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by blakeM.U.R.T
the title isnt lost, the bank has it. after he pays me, i pay the rest of my loan and then they send it to me. i just want to be able to give the car to the buyer so they dont have to give me their money and wait a week for me to recive the title before releasing the car to them. i just want to make sure that if they crash it on the way home, its on them, not me because the title is still in my name.
go to the bank with him then. pay off the loan, get title that day (and fill it out), otherwise use the reg form to request new title in his name

contact your bank and ask them how to handle this

it doesn't matter if the title is in your name....
you fill out the form to request NEW title / transfer to his name, take his money, give him the car....
as i said a few times above, the title OR reg227 both say that you are releasing interest in the vehicle and are selling it, and requesting a new title in their name
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr32.htm

then you go online on dmv website and do the RELEASE OF LIABILITY http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/nrl/welcome.htm so you are not liable for the vehicle any longer.

Last edited by Rescuer; 10-10-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Damm rescuer dropin the knowledge.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 PM
VIP Member

Selling Your Car if You Owe Money on It - Cars.com

:O
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Have him request a digital title, then nobody needs a piece of paper. He can do that as part of the title transfer paperwork. Technically all you need to fill out is the release of liability and smog, the rest of it is on the buyer's side (and obviously the bank part).

Last edited by 04GG; 10-10-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM

i think my only issue is getting the leinholder to sign the form. its a credit union in texas.. sorry im very noob to this whole thing. you are really doing me a HUGE favor by helping me out.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
VIP Member

best thing to do is to call them and ask.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Call the DMV.
just gave them a call to confirm some of this info. pointless waiting on the phone for 40 mins because they said nothing to help.. end of the workday the become a**holes.

Quick Reply: sell the car without the title in my hands. help?