a/s tire question - conti extreme contact dws vs michelin pilot sport a/s

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 AM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback
a/s tire question - conti extreme contact dws vs michelin pilot sport a/s

Whats up guys. I'm looking at getting some new a/s tires to replace my stock tires either today or tomorrow. I've been looking at the conti extreme contact dws and the michelin pilot sport a/s. I've already tried searching the topic and didn't find many newer threads about a/s tires (most of which don't talk about both of these tires).

Background: currently running on the stock 225/45/17 tires on my 09 wrx. I plan to buy a new set of rims+summer tires sometime next summer when I lower my wrx and so this stock setup will become my winter/tahoe run setup. I plan to drive out to tahoe at least two times a month for snowboarding so I need something that can get me there safely when its snowing. Currently drive about 60-70 miles/day on average. Usually cruising when I drive but do some spirited driving at times.

I've heard a lot of good things about both tires. Tirerack ranked the conti's better than the michelins (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=119 and http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=124) Most complaints about the conti's is the soft sidewall but I'm a complete newb so I don't know if I'd notice the difference much right now. I have 2 quotes on both tires installed and the price difference is $200 more for the michelins. I was wondering if the Michelins are worth the extra money.

opinions? suggestions?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I would recommend snow tires. All seasons will work in Tahoe, but just 'o.k.' I used to do the same thing as you, grippy tires in the summer and snow tires in the winter, when I had my bugeye wagon I had dedicated snow tires and they were amazing. Ultra confidence. Then I sold the wagon and got an STi. I figured that for my second winter set, all seasons would handle better in the dry and do just as good in the ice and snow..... bzzzzz WRONG!

The all seasons 'worked' for me (as in got me back and forth to Tahoe) but it was scary as **** every time. Especially on ice. Dedicated snow tires are leagues better than AS tires on the packed Tahoe ice. My advice is that if you're going up more than just once or twice, make the investment into some non studded winter tires. I had Michlen Alpins and Hankook w404.... both of them kicked ***. You can brake better, drive faster and regain control better in the ice/snow.

The only downside to this, is that if you drive the winter tires on your normal commute, they will wear down quickly. So in that case just swap the tires asap when you get back home.

Hope that helps. If you want lots of confidence, get some snow tires. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the reponse. Ideally I would run dedicated snow tires in the winter but since I don't plan to buy new tires until next June-july, I'd rather not run on winter tires until then. I figure if I get some a/s on my stock rims now, I can use them until next year and then I can try to Sell them off but my main thing against dedicated snows right now is he wear from using them on my daily commute for the next 6-7 months
Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Check out the Nokian WR - they're a little difficult to find but worth it, imho. It's an all-season tire but is stamped with the snowflake emblem which makes it legal in places like Europe and Canada for winter use. I ran the predecessor (NRW) on my '02 and got almost 50K miles on them using them all winter long in the bay area with frequent trips to Tahoe. The only thing hindering my WRX up there was ground clearance. The tires stopped, turned and accelerated the car quite well. Probably not as good as "real" snow tires, but better than 90% of the tourist cars up there. Besides, you'd be lucky to get more than one season from real snow tires driving around the bay area.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
Besides, you'd be lucky to get more than one season from real snow tires driving around the bay area.
Thats about right. I drove like an idiot with my first set of snow tires on my wagon. I did hard cornering and burnouts.... lots of highway commuting and never really checked the tire pressures. They didnt last long
Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
I recommend the contiental conti extremes. This will be my second snow season running them.

I have used them on the track, daily driving, and in the snow. And minus getting a actual set of track tires
I will pry stick with these guys for quite a while.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:50 AM

These are the AS tires I was talking about. Avon Tech M550. They were average in just about all conditions. One thing I did like was how quiet/comfy they were. Easy to do donuts with too

Name:  avon.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  14.9 KB
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ech+M550+A%2FS
Old 12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
I am on my second set of Michelin PS A/S's. When they wear out, I will buy my third set, I like them so much. They are acceptable in the snow, great in the wet, and better than I expected from an a/s when road conditions are ideal.

I have no experience with the conti's
Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys! Definitely appreciate it. I ended up choosing the Michelin PS A/S tires. I couldn't find anything but good reviews for it so just went with it.

Originally Posted by ryball
I am on my second set of Michelin PS A/S's. When they wear out, I will buy my third set, I like them so much. They are acceptable in the snow, great in the wet, and better than I expected from an a/s when road conditions are ideal.
How long (miles or months) did your first set last you?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by robie1208
Thanks for the help and suggestions guys! Definitely appreciate it. I ended up choosing the Michelin PS A/S tires. I couldn't find anything but good reviews for it so just went with it.

How long (miles or months) did your first set last you?
I don't remember, but it was a lot. That is when I was commuting 1000 miles/week. Looks like I got my original set in '05 and I'm on my second set. But I have another set of wheels and I am only putting like 6500 miles a year on the car now. That doesn't help you at all.

Last edited by ryball; 12-02-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 PM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
the conti extremes were just wayyyy too soft for me. the avontechs were wonderful. the michelin's were just too heavy on the wallet.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)
I just got a set of ContiExtremeContact DWS a few months ago. I don't even do much spirit driving anymore, but the reviews aren't kidding about the soft sidewalls. I would say I get more plowing of the front than I did even on RE-92s. However, they were a good price and got them mainly for commuting and the occasional trip to tahoe. They've worked great for that at least.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:45 AM

definitely agree about the michelins being heavy on the wallet. Luckily michelin/bfg has a $70 rebate right now and I was able to get a good quote on them from a buddy so americas tire co price matched it. In the end, after rebate, the michelins cost me about $130 more than the conti's so its not too bad.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 AM

just an update - I went to northstar today (12/6/09) with some friends during the snowstorm and the michelin's handled the snow like a champ. I wasn't driving agressive or anything but they gripped well and I did not feel them slip much (only in part of the northstar parking lot that wasn't plowed - had about a ~6" build up of snow). It was snowing pretty heavily with strong gusts of winds at times when driving home on i-80 (we left northstar at about 630pm and made it into the roseville area around 9pm) but the tires performed well. I definitely recommend the michelin pilot sport a/s tires!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 AM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
Originally Posted by robie1208
just an update - I went to northstar today (12/6/09) with some friends during the snowstorm and the michelin's handled the snow like a champ. I wasn't driving agressive or anything but they gripped well and I did not feel them slip much (only in part of the northstar parking lot that wasn't plowed - had about a ~6" build up of snow). It was snowing pretty heavily with strong gusts of winds at times when driving home on i-80 (we left northstar at about 630pm and made it into the roseville area around 9pm) but the tires performed well. I definitely recommend the michelin pilot sport a/s tires!
thanks for the review. i dont deny the michelin's at all. i know they're good tires. too bad my wallet can't support it. lol. hope your trip was fun. i r jealous.

Quick Reply: a/s tire question - conti extreme contact dws vs michelin pilot sport a/s