rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Originally Posted by gottaWRX
ill be at boreal tomorrow.... maybe ill see some of you guys there. ill have the silver bugeye with racks and superleggeras.
Originally Posted by TSNWrX07
anyone hittin up boreal tomorrow?? Im chillin at boomtown right now, I shud be at boreal round 10am....If ya spot a 07 limited blue rex tomorrow, that'll be me =)
g'luck w/ the wind manana! break out them facemasks, GORE wind-stopper shells, etc., folks!!!

Fr: the Nat'l Weather Svc
GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA
327 PM PDT THU MAR 27 2008

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM FRIDAY TO MIDNIGHT PDT
FRIDAY NIGHT..

STRONG GUSTY SOUTHWEST TO WEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP AHEAD OF A COLD
FRONT FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO THE EVENING. SUSTAINED
WINDS OF 15 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH WILL BECOME WIDESPREAD
WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 60 MPH IN THE WIND PRONE AREAS. THE
STRONGEST WINDS ARE LIKELY ALONG HIGHWAY 395 FROM THE NORTH
VALLEYS OF RENO TO MINDEN AND AT THE PASSES AROUND LAKE TAHOE.
RIDGE GUSTS WILL REACH 90 MPH.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
VIP Member

Conditions Update for Sierra@Tahoe

I rode on Sat, where they got about 2"-3" of fresh overnite Fri. It was mostly sunny as we pulled into the lot... very bluebird-like. The wind wasn't too bad... it usually isn't much of an issue there unless it's seriously howling out.

For the 1st couple hours, the fresh snow was SUPER STICKY!!! It was unreal. If you started fr: a standstill, you couldn't get the speed req'd to clear the 1st & 2nd jumps on the backside terrain park. Venturing off-piste, you'd find that it was dust on crust.

The lower area of West Bowl (as well as the flat area that leads to the 2 trails far looker's right) was also sticky & slow. The upper halves of all the WB runs were tons of fun to smash down till the funky slushy stuff started getting really grabby.

After a late lunch, the clouds took over completely. It seemed to help speed things up a bit. Or it could have been the fact that I stuck w/ charging East About & Castle off Grandview for the next hour.

Another quick trip into West Bowl confirmed my suspicions... still slow & sticky there. I guess it was time to finish the day w/ several trips up Grandview, then down the various ways back to the bottom to catch it again: Snowshoe park to Corkscrew to Sleighride park, Snowshoe park to Lower Main, etc. Fun way to close it out... I was lucky enuff to be on the 3rd to last chair back up to the top!

- - - - - - -

I'm likely to hit the slopes again Fri or Sat or both. My earlier prediction of SERIOUS snowfall doesn't look so promising. The storm is tracking to the south. We'll still get some fresh stuff this week... just not the "pukage" I was anticipating. A li'l somethin'-somthin' is better than nuthin'-nuthin', eh?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by boardoholic
I rode on Sat, where they got about 2"-3" of fresh overnite Fri. It was mostly sunny as we pulled into the lot... very bluebird-like. The wind wasn't too bad... it usually isn't much of an issue there unless it's seriously howling out.

For the 1st couple hours, the fresh snow was SUPER STICKY!!! It was unreal. If you started fr: a standstill, you couldn't get the speed req'd to clear the 1st & 2nd jumps on the backside terrain park. Venturing off-piste, you'd find that it was dust on crust.

The lower area of West Bowl (as well as the flat area that leads to the 2 trails far looker's right) was also sticky & slow. The upper halves of all the WB runs were tons of fun to smash down till the funky slushy stuff started getting really grabby.

After a late lunch, the clouds took over completely. It seemed to help speed things up a bit. Or it could have been the fact that I stuck w/ charging East About & Castle off Grandview for the next hour.

Another quick trip into West Bowl confirmed my suspicions... still slow & sticky there. I guess it was time to finish the day w/ several trips up Grandview, then down the various ways back to the bottom to catch it again: Snowshoe park to Corkscrew to Sleighride park, Snowshoe park to Lower Main, etc. Fun way to close it out... I was lucky enuff to be on the 3rd to last chair back up to the top!

- - - - - - -

I'm likely to hit the slopes again Fri or Sat or both. My earlier prediction of SERIOUS snowfall doesn't look so promising. The storm is tracking to the south. We'll still get some fresh stuff this week... just not the "pukage" I was anticipating. A li'l somethin'-somthin' is better than nuthin'-nuthin', eh?
was at bear sat. only got like an inch maybe 2. Was actually REALLY fast. Just ripped runs all day. Got SUPER sticky at the end of the day but still fun.

The secret stash was SCARY..haaa. So much fun though. DIRT everywhere. I ollied off a tree/wind ripple and gapped an 8-10 foot section of dirt/rocks. Fun..haaa. Actually did more jumping sat. then I have in a LONG time.

sore as hell.

JUSTIN... if you read this. I scored you a $20 lift ticket voacher. Not quite a season pass but it's something...haa. I'll call you up next time we go up.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 07 WRX stage 2/ 05 Yamaha R6
Originally Posted by boardoholic
g'luck w/ the wind manana! break out them facemasks, GORE wind-stopper shells, etc., folks!!!

Fr: the Nat'l Weather Svc
GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA
327 PM PDT THU MAR 27 2008

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM FRIDAY TO MIDNIGHT PDT
FRIDAY NIGHT..

STRONG GUSTY SOUTHWEST TO WEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP AHEAD OF A COLD
FRONT FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO THE EVENING. SUSTAINED
WINDS OF 15 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH WILL BECOME WIDESPREAD
WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 60 MPH IN THE WIND PRONE AREAS. THE
STRONGEST WINDS ARE LIKELY ALONG HIGHWAY 395 FROM THE NORTH
VALLEYS OF RENO TO MINDEN AND AT THE PASSES AROUND LAKE TAHOE.
RIDGE GUSTS WILL REACH 90 MPH.
actually the wind wasnt that bad...it didnt start snowing hard till 4pmish and by that time we were done...but as far as wind goes...it wasnt bad at all...even at the top of the accelerator...
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM

Car Info: toaster
yep.... it was pretty cool.... had a good time. saw a handful of suby's there as well.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TSNWrX07
actually the wind wasnt that bad...it didnt start snowing hard till 4pmish and by that time we were done...but as far as wind goes...it wasnt bad at all...even at the top of the accelerator...
schweet! good to hear that it wasn't much of a factor for y'all on fri. i didn't notice squat in terms of wind on sat!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
was at bear sat. only got like an inch maybe 2. Was actually REALLY fast. Just ripped runs all day. Got SUPER sticky at the end of the day but still fun.

The secret stash was SCARY..haaa. So much fun though. DIRT everywhere. I ollied off a tree/wind ripple and gapped an 8-10 foot section of dirt/rocks. Fun..haaa. Actually did more jumping sat. then I have in a LONG time.

sore as hell...
NICE!!! Keep checkin' off those Ride Days, Ray! I've ridden 4 times since we did Bear a couple weeks ago. So counting those 2 days, I boarded SIX days outta fifteen... gotta live up to my "handle", yo!

These last 4 times on the slopes, I've done a buncha laps thru the park or found other "bumps" to launch, too. It's funny how I tell myself {a la Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon} "I'm gettin' too old for this $H!T" but I get such a kick outta catching air. Seems like you're the same, bruddah!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:45 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
I'm headed up this weekend, Sat AM early. I'm gonna use the lift ticket I have left for Sierra and go ***** out. That night we'll be partying it up @ Blu/Opal/Vex for my buddy's 30th bday. We'll have like 20 ppl coming up from The Bay but I'll be the only one snowboarding.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
VIP Member

haaa... should be a good time, brah!

me & the crew o' three hit up vex on fri nite. we stayed at the block that nite, too. not bad for $79, and it wasn't too crazy (like on TV). we left our passes to blu in the room, so we just stuck it out @vex. one of the fellaz was hurting BIG TIME in the a.m. we had to pull over just before the pass so he could purge his breakfast & advil!

if ya need a riding buddy, let me know. i may be using up the last day fr my 3-day ticket as well. i'm planning on bringing my brother's family to get their learn on, so i'll be riding solo as well.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:41 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Anyone been up in the last week?

Trying to get a couple days in before the end of season.

How's the snow? Crap or just ok spring?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:43 PM

Car Info: 07 WRX stage 2/ 05 Yamaha R6
i was there two weeks ago..it wasnt bad at all bc it stormed that day..last week tho i heard it kinda was hard....oh well im headin up tomorrow!! gotta use my free lift tix! ill be at boreal or kirkwood saturday
Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
I still have a Lift ticket to Northstar...

Anyone wanna carpool to Northstar?

or anyone wanna $50 Northstar lift ticket?

let me know
Old 04-11-2008, 12:28 AM

Car Info: '04 PSM Sti
^^pm'd!
________
SPICE WEED

Last edited by crfsti; 04-24-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:30 AM

Car Info: 2000 BRP GC8
MIGHT go up on sat. early morning. hope to see some of yall there.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Anyone been up in the last week?

Trying to get a couple days in before the end of season.

How's the snow? Crap or just ok spring?
i rode sugar bowl on sun the 6th. although the day started out firm & fast, conditions were perfect spring sliding right around lunchtime. but by last chair, it was a bit sloppy.

it was mostly grey skies when we pulled into the lot at 9. the peaks were blanketed w/ clouds, and visibility kinda sucked for an hr or so. luckily, the sun made a serious push thru the clouds by noon, which helped out a bunch. there were a few times where the winds gusted up a bit later in the day, but not enough to put any lifts on hold or anything. i think the daytime high temp was in the mid-40s.

bottom line... typical spring conditions.

- - - - -

fyi: the daytime high is supposed to be in the upper 50s-low 60s, so it'll probably get REALLY slushy by 2, if not sooner. the earlier you can start your day on the hill, the better.

also, a good spring conditions wax is almost necessary. and zardoz notwax will do wonders!

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.