Revised North Bay Wine Country meet July27(sunday)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 01:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
Cool Revised North Bay Wine Country meet July27(sunday)

Revised Wine meet Sunday july 27th

(1) The meet will start Sunday morning at 10:00 am. The group will meet at the Marinwood / St Vincent dr exit in north San Rafael. Just to the east of the Highway on the St Vincent side there is a large dirt parking area. We will leave there at 10:15 sharp. Heading north on Hwy 101

After a 16.0 mile drive exit the Sonoma / Napa valley exit in Petaluma. At light turn (left) onto Lakeville Hwy / Hwy 116 east and drive 4.4 miles.
Then (left) off Lakeville Hwy continuing along 116. Drive 2.3 miles to stop sign turn (right), still on 116. Coming down the hill we'll be entering Sonoma, 1.6 miles turn (left) onto Watmaugh. drive to stop light 2.0 miles turn (left) onto Arnold Dr. Stay on Arnold till the second stop light 1.0 miles. Turn (right) onto Leveroni Rd. It's a fast strait away for 1.1 miles till the next light were we turn (left) onto Fifth St West.

Drive through two stop signs and up to the stop light were we'll turn (left) onto West Napa St / Hwy 12 and drive through some bumper to bumper traffic.

(2) After 34.0 miles of driving we turn (left) onto Madrone. The time should be 11:00am. Up the road just 1/2 miles is our first stop the Valley of the Moon Winery. If you are wine tasting they have a menu of maybe 10 different wines. You can sample 4 for no charge. They have a few good wines but i think their best is a blend called Barbarra (spelling ?) and the port ain't bad either. But to taste the port it'll cost you $2 dollars extra. I planned on staying their only for thirty minutes. At 11:30am we're back on the road. I'm sure we''ll have plenty of time to hang out throughout the day still.

Then it's (left) back onto Hwy 12 heading north. The traffic should finally be breaking up and we can start going faster for the next 2.9 miles Then it's (right) onto Trinity Road / Oakville Grade. Hopefully we'll luck out and not get much traffic going this way. It's a great twisting, turning roads with a few 1st gear hairpins. I would hope that many if not all of you have driving this road before. If not you're in for a treat. Coming down into the Napa valley from on the mountain is a beautiful view. The pass is 10.9 miles in length before it comes to an end at Hwy 29 (Napa Valley). On 29 we turn (left). don't worry about staying together here. We'll be stopping only 0.3 miles up the road at our next location.

(3) The Oakville Grocery Co. is a tiny hole in the wall of a store that will be crowded with people. The food is pretty good, but for today it's all about the location. My wife and i bought two sandwiches, two drinks, a small salad, bag of chips and another side (way too much food) and it cost $27 dollars. I hope to be there no longer than 30-to-40 minutes.

Then up the road for 1.0 miles were we turn (right) onto Rutherford Rd / Hwy128. 2.9 miles later we come to Silverado Trail were we turn (left). Go about 100 yards and turn into our third stopping grounds.

(4) The Rutherford Hill Winery. Arrival time should be 12:50pm. Here is where we'll be spending most of our time. First it's luch at the picnic tables. Then at 1:30 there is a wine tour. It talks about the area and the property , but then it goes into the CAVES. If the weather is hot it'll be a great place to escape the heat. As far as the wine tasting goes there is two different ones to try. It'll cost you $5 dollars to try thier wine menu of 6 wines (you keep the glass) or you pay $10 dollars to sample thier "reserve" wines. The Merlot Reserve is one of the best i've ever had (at a ouch... $70 dollars a bottle).
We should be there for about 2 hours total.

Back on the road at 2:45 where we'll head north along the Silverado Trail so that we miss the pure hell that is down town St Helena.

At about the 69.0 mile mark we turn (left) onto Tubbs lane that will get us over to Hwy 128 north. From there it's again a beautiful drive through some great country side for 15.1 miles.

(5) Arrive at final destination at 3:15pm. The Alexander Valley Vineyards Winery. The Sarah, sangoivese and zin or great. They also have a blend called Cyrus. You get 4 tastes no charge and if you wish to try thier reserves it'll cost ya alittle more $2 dollars a taste. We should be there about 30 mins.

Once we leave there at 4:20pm we'll continue north on Hwy 128 for 4.5 miles. The road will become Alexander Valley Rd before we turn (right ) onto Lyllon. Then it's 1.4 miles to the highway. Then we get on 101 south and drive together untill each gets to there exit along the way.

Hope everyone that said they'ld like to come shows up. I'm pretty sure i can count on a few of you anyhow. Right Huck.

And for anyone that didn't read any of the last post on the different thread the meet has become a (try to bring your mate) kind of thing. Not that it's a requirement

rich
Old 07-20-2003, 03:45 PM
VIP Member

For all that may be upset or just disappointed that we're not having a BBQ you're not alone. A really had my heart set on it. It's one of the few things in life i do well. But i promice that the next one i put together there will be fire. I'm looking in to having something out at the cheese factory on the Nicosio - Peteluma road. They have giant fire pits out back that hopefully can be used by paying parties of people.

rich
Old 07-20-2003, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Right.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:30 PM

Location: At the store trading the box of tissue in on some brawny!
Car Info: Platinum 02 WRX, Progress springs,JIC Bullet exhaust , STI shifter, Accessecu, Rota Sub Zero
Thumbs up

Sounds like a great day you've planned for us.
See you at Marinwood /St Vincent at 10 am!
Don't be bummed about the BBQ , sometimes that's so much work that it detracts from the fun.Everyone can build a picnic basket and still have a great time, we know we will.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:55 AM

Car Info: '02 Subaru Impreza WRX
Sounds like fun. I should be able to be there. Thanks for doing all the arrangments Bushido.

Zach
Old 07-21-2003, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Three plus me makes four confirmed subies so far. Not bad. Keep em coming.

rich
Old 07-21-2003, 11:51 AM
VIP Member

Hey Huck thanks for putting the link on the old thread.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:21 AM
VIP Member

I just bought some new rubber so i can't wait
Old 07-22-2003, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

Woo-hoo! New rubber is good. And also, thanks for making all the arrangements. Very thorough. Although I think it was all just an excuse to go on more drives. Sure you had to convince your wife... :P

You've got me confirmed and I think Milesmatic is flying back in time to join us also. Although I still havent decided wether I'll trek down to San Rafael or just wait for you in Petaluma.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

If you just wait in Petaluma i won't hold it against you. You know the route, just be there when we pass.

As far as the drive goes. i've already done it three times, hell the winery employees well probably coment on returning yet one more time.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
maybe
Old 07-22-2003, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

To tie the whole meet together i would like to burn a music compilation disc from my vast collection of music. It'll most likely be a laid back acid jazz, hip hop, electronic kind of thing.

I want to burn one for each of the first 5 that show up to the meet on Sunday.

If that kind of music ain't your thang please state opinion
Old 07-23-2003, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

From your playlists I know we like the same stuff but I thought the term Acid Jazz was laid to rest shortly after US3 raped it.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

No it continues to this day, but good point
Old 07-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Re: Revised North Bay Wine Country meet July27(sunday)

Where exactly is this? Which exit do I take if I were to come from Fremont/South/East Bay area?

Originally posted by bushido
Revised Wine meet Sunday july 27th

(1) The meet will start Sunday morning at 10:00 am. The group will meet at the Marinwood / St Vincent dr exit in north San Rafael. Just to the east of the Highway on the St Vincent side there is a large dirt parking area. We will leave there at 10:15 sharp. Heading north on Hwy 101

Quick Reply: Revised North Bay Wine Country meet July27(sunday)