Review of EQ Tuning, and my new tune... all smiles here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:32 AM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
Review of EQ Tuning, and my new tune... all smiles here.

A review of Equilibrium Tuning of Davis, CA:

I tend to write novels. I’m going to try to keep this succinct so people actually read it, while trying to give Ed of EQ the due acclaim he deserves at the same time. However long it gets, I'm not going to add fluff so I promise it will be worth reading!!!

This is the third tune I have had on my car. It is, by far, the best.

I would highly recommend Ed to my closest friends and will always be going back to him for future tunes. I honestly believe that there is no way on earth my car could possibly be tuned better. This IS the best tune my car could have.

Ed could not have had a better impression on me as a tuner or as a person. He is an incredibly nice and up-front guy. He is honest and speaks his mind. He encouraged me to point out anything that did not feel absolutely perfect while he was tuning. I get the distinct impression that he literally cares more about the cars he’s tuning than most of the customers that own the cars do. He is a perfectionist. You will NEVER hear the words “good enough” out of Ed’s mouth. It is never good enough unless it is absolutely as good as it possibly can be. He spends the extra time that other tuners wont, don’t, or can’t.

So I’m pulling away from a stop and slowly accelerating up to 3rd gear like I would from any stop sign. All of the sudden I realize my car is running REALLY smoothly and it feels great. I look over at Ed and say, “did you mess with the partial throttle maps? My car feels really smooth!” He says I’m the 3rd person to ever notice. [Ken, btw, noticed it on his car later that evening immediately after Ed flashed his car with a base map, without being told that was done either]. I can’t believe I was only the 3rd person to notice… it’s like a night-and-day difference. NOBODY messes with the partial throttle, daily-driving maps. Tuners just don’t take the time to do it because it’s “not important.” I thought all Subaru’s were just a bit lumpy because of the boxer engine. Nah uh. Turns out the stock timing maps SUCK. Just looking at the visual 3D graph of the maps, it was more than clear why. My car is so smooth (and it even feels more powerful) at partial throttle when out of boost now that I feel like I’ve traded my Subaru in for a Lexus. No joke. This is one of the three things he did that other tuners don’t care about that made me incredibly thankful I went to Ed.

Ed explained everything to me while he was tuning. He showed me the numbers, graphs, everything and explained what it all meant. That was cool.

Oh yeah, the other two things he did that I really appreciated were: he tuned my start-up throttle correction so the rpm’s wouldn’t dip to nearly stalling like they have been ever since I installed my very light flywheel. Actually, even stock it dipped too much. The car now idles significantly smoother when cold and it never comes close to stalling when I start it. Much better . The other thing was that he custom-tuned the throttle sensitivity for me. I didn’t even know that was adjustable. Turns out you can change how boost comes on with throttle application. I wanted it a bit more linear than it was… before it would basically make full boost at anything over 50% throttle. It was a bit touchy and a bit hard to accurately modulate. Ed asked what I thought I would prefer, and then tried a couple different settings so I could choose what I wanted. I love how it feels now. Just by pushing the pedal a certain amount, I can accurately make 5 psi if I want 5. I can make 9, 12, 15, 17… whatever I want with controlled throttle application. It’s great. And mid-turn it’s much more controllable. Adrian and I were chatting about an oblong throttle body pulley to make throttle response more linear… Ed did that with tuning .

My VF22 used to hit 18 psi at 3750 rpm. It now hits closer to 19 psi at 3450 rpm. Tuning. Even though he didn’t have to, Ed spent A LOT of time getting my turbo to spool earlier and do so with perfectly controlled boost. It pegs my target boost number and holds it. It hits and holds it without spike, despite the earlier onset of boost, in every gear. A lot of the time you’ll get tuned on the dyno in 3rd and see a spike in 5th… not the case. It’s perfect.

My A/F ratio is better-controlled now. My maps are smoother.

Ed, btw, is a computer science engineer. He has created engine management solutions for other cars and for the WRX. He writes software and creates hardware devices. He wrote the road dyno software that he uses, which is extremely impressive. The results from this software are shocking. It produces numbers and graphs that look nearly identical to a Mustang dyno. Takes into account weight, tire size, gearing, coefficient of aerodynamic drag, frontal surface area… it’s craziness. He really, really knows his stuff and he truly has a deep and intimate understand of the EcuTek software and the WRX ECU.

Not really sure what else to say. The guy rocks. His tuning rocks. He’s talented AND he cares. He puts the time in because he is sincerely concerned with giving every single one of his customers the absolute best tune he is capable of.

I could not be happier with my tune. The results are great, the car is quick as h3ll. It’s also smoother than ever. It feels wonderful. Like I said, I am confident that there is no way a better tune exists for my setup.

Jeremy

--- I will be hitting up ATP to get a dyno run done and will post the results vs. the Cobb Stg 2 dyno I did there. ---

btw – for those of you who know who tuned my car last, I have nothing but respect for him. He is also an incredibly talented tuner and I’m confident he could have given me a tune of the same caliber given he took the time and effort to do so. It would be unfair to compare the numbers between the two tunes because I asked for (and received) a very conservative tune when I first put my VF22 on, and I changed a couple parts since. The thing is, there is no way on earth a big, busy shop could give my car the attention that Ed did. Just not possible. Ed’s the man.

The following graph is a before-and-after on the day Ed tuned me. I have no clue how the numbers would compare to the Mustang… we weren’t sure on some factors for the Legacy whereas Ed has all the technical data for the WRX, so these numbers aren’t necessarily accurate. For reference, I made 248 whp on the Mustang so…. But I was there [at EQ] for a tune, not a dyno <<< I'm not sure it's the best one, either, cuz I remember making over 260 at some point. Anyway, not that important.

On a side note: I'm in San Jose. If you want a ride, you got it. If you've got questions, post 'em. Ed more than deserves a chance to show you what a legit dude he is! I'm a very happy customer, as I think every single one of his customers has been...

EDIT: Just got the A/F graph:

^^^ one of the flatter, better-controlled AFR graphs I think I've ever seen, btw....

Last edited by EJ20Legacy; 05-11-2005 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added a/f graph
Old 05-11-2005, 02:45 AM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
very good review jeremy!
Old 05-11-2005, 02:48 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Thanks for the kind words Jeremy. Your car was a lot of fun to tune and its always nice to have a customer who really appreciates the time and detail I put into my tunes.

Thanks again
Old 05-11-2005, 02:54 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Hey Ed, talked to Mack, Joe, and the rest of them lately? We need to have a random Sunday Tapioca Express run like the good ol' days!
Old 05-11-2005, 04:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
congrats on the tune, got any afr charts?
Old 05-11-2005, 08:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
dre lets say he didnt... this is put up or shut up time

offer to pay for gruppe s to dyno the car and post up its graphs including afr
waddaya say dre?
edgar,
Old 05-11-2005, 09:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
wow.. good job Ed. how much does a tune like that cost? Pm me if you want

and congrats on the new horses Jeremy!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:12 AM

Location: Just when I find the key to success, someone goes and changes the locks.
Car Info: "Why Warthog sir?"
Looks good.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:40 PM

You know, I'm not actually sure if there are plotted charts of A/F. I did see the A/F ratio every 100 rpm across the EcuTek log and it's basically 10.9 all the way across.

I'll ask Ed and see if he's got it in chart form.

As for the dyno, I was leaning towards hitting up ATP because of my stock turbo baseline there and because people are pretty acustomed to DynoJet numbers (they do A/F graphs, too, btw). I do have my previous run at Gruppe-S though and Ed mentioned that he's friends with Mike and can likely get me a pull on there at a discount. It would be kind of cool to have graphs from both dynos

Anyone wanna set up a fund to get $50 my way and I'll dyno at Gruppe-S also?

Jeremy
Old 05-11-2005, 01:02 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
haha so polite, I guess SRIC is like a hermetically sealed bash room huh?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:05 PM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
Originally Posted by EJ20Legacy

Jeremy
Why doesnt Ed Vaus do it?

Last edited by killaho; 05-11-2005 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Just said Ed. Theres lots of Eds
Old 05-11-2005, 01:07 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
You know, I'm not actually sure if there are plotted charts of A/F. I did see the A/F ratio every 100 rpm across the EcuTek log and it's basically 10.9 all the way across.

I'll ask Ed and see if he's got it in chart form.

As for the dyno, I was leaning towards hitting up ATP because of my stock turbo baseline there and because people are pretty acustomed to DynoJet numbers (they do A/F graphs, too, btw). I do have my previous run at Gruppe-S though and Ed mentioned that he's friends with Mike and can likely get me a pull on there at a discount. It would be kind of cool to have graphs from both dynos

Jeremy
I would do the dyno/afr runs @ gruppe-s or vishnu as i've heard from many people the readings on the AFR is off on the ATP dyno.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 02blackWRX
I would do the dyno/afr runs @ gruppe-s or vishnu as i've heard from many people the readings on the AFR is off on the ATP dyno.
^^^ that's a good point. My AFR graph from the Cobb Stg 2 at ATP was insanely lean. Yeah, I know a lot of the Cobb stuff tends to run lean but we're talking sooooo lean that the engine should have instantly grenaded, and I had that tuning for nearly a year and it ran great. Anyway, the AFR had to be off. I didn't have anything to compare it to though.

While I do want numbers at ATP, I'll try to get my car on the dyno at Gruppe-S within the next week.

Jeremy
Old 05-11-2005, 01:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Hey guys,

I never gave Jeremy an a/f chart, but I'll take a screen-capture and post one later tonight. As he said, his car is running between 10.8-10.9:1 once the turbo has spooled.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2005, 01:21 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

^^^ that's a good point. My AFR graph from the Cobb Stg 2 at ATP was insanely lean. Yeah, I know a lot of the Cobb stuff tends to run lean but we're talking sooooo lean that the engine should have instantly grenaded, and I had that tuning for nearly a year and it ran great. Anyway, the AFR had to be off. I didn't have anything to compare it to though.

While I do want numbers at ATP, I'll try to get my car on the dyno at Gruppe-S within the next week.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

I also think that you should dyno at Gruppe-S rather than ATP. The Gruppe-S dyno has really become the standard for this community. Let me know your schedule and we can set up a time with Mike.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Review of EQ Tuning, and my new tune... all smiles here.