Reccommendations for router/modem? calling overbear and all techies

Old 06-19-2015, 08:39 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Not a great example, I think a lot of people on here will balk at dropping $500/wheel unless they are HerraFrush or chasing .001 at the track. Especially since a lot of those wheels will be a lot less reliable during daily driving.
But you get what I mean. Its a router, you will have it 3-5 years before its time for a upgrade. $250 bucks ain't much when you really consider the lifespan.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:06 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
http://***************/f/7926985-net...-free-shipping

damn should have got this. oh well
Old 06-20-2015, 09:02 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I'm using:

Amazon.com: NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem Certified for Comcast XFINITY and Time Warner Cable (CM500-100NAS): Electronics Amazon.com: NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem Certified for Comcast XFINITY and Time Warner Cable (CM500-100NAS): Electronics

and

Amazon.com: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000): Computers & Accessories

So far super solid performance and I stream full HD through a decent size house. Main server gets up to 16MB/s on torrents which I never got before with the modem I was renting from comcast. I wanted the nicer router, but for $100 less, this one seems to work great for everything I've thrown at it so far.

-- Ed
Old 06-21-2015, 11:09 AM

Car Info: Nadda
I use the Surfboard 3.0 and Nighthawk for my home network

I would checkout Linksys's Quad

Routers are going toward band AC, most phones have them. Older laptops won't have it, but it can still be compatible with older ones, B and G.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
This is what I did to my router due to the neighborhood interference lol. I now dominate the channel I designate.
Woah, what antennas are those?
Old 06-22-2015, 11:48 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Woah, what antennas are those?
Well, they were 9dBi external antennas with U.FL connectors that I purchased online to do the mod since my router had internal antennas. It was for better coverage around the back yard.

Over the weekend I ran a speed test with my wifi connection and its remarkably low compared to before. Guess some neighbors caught on and upgraded their routers too! Lol. It was a really cheap mod at only 14 bucks for a pair. Now because of this thread, Im looking to upgrade to a 5GHz router with more channel flexibility and higher data transfer rate.

Was looking at the Nighthawk....... Not that I need something like that, But I would like for my next purchase to not be obsolete the second I pay for it lol.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:50 PM

Well, they were 9dBi external antennas with U.FL connectors that I purchased online to do the mod since my router had internal antennas. It was for better coverage around the back yard.

Over the weekend I ran a speed test with my wifi connection and its remarkably low compared to before. Guess some neighbors caught on and upgraded their routers too! Lol. It was a really cheap mod at only 14 bucks for a pair. Now because of this thread, Im looking to upgrade to a 5GHz router with more channel flexibility and higher data transfer rate.

Was looking at the Nighthawk....... Not that I need something like that, But I would like for my next purchase to not be obsolete the second I pay for it lol.
you can do VPN back into your house with one
Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I'm using:

Amazon.com: NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem Certified for Comcast XFINITY and Time Warner Cable (CM500-100NAS): Electronics

and

Amazon.com: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000): Computers & Accessories

So far super solid performance and I stream full HD through a decent size house. Main server gets up to 16MB/s on torrents which I never got before with the modem I was renting from comcast. I wanted the nicer router, but for $100 less, this one seems to work great for everything I've thrown at it so far.

-- Ed
Hey Ed,

Just curious what package download rate you get on a land line and what is your download speed while on Wifi? Im thinking about picking up this router, want to compare what the drop on Wifi transfer rate is.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:23 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Hey Ed,

Just curious what package download rate you get on a land line and what is your download speed while on Wifi? Im thinking about picking up this router, want to compare what the drop on Wifi transfer rate is.
honestly not sure... my mediacenter is wired directly to the router and it does all the downloading. But I believe I've transferred files wirelessly much faster than my download speeds.

-- Ed
Old 06-25-2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
honestly not sure... my mediacenter is wired directly to the router and it does all the downloading. But I believe I've transferred files wirelessly much faster than my download speeds.

-- Ed

If you don't mind doing a quick speed test on any mobile device later when you have time, Id greatly appreciate it! Just to give myself an idea.

Theres up sides and downsides to every router out there, just trying to find one with better reliability also. Ive had units over heat before due to poor circulation on the circuit board and radio architecture.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:20 AM

If you don't mind doing a quick speed test on any mobile device later when you have time, Id greatly appreciate it! Just to give myself an idea.

Theres up sides and downsides to every router out there, just trying to find one with better reliability also. Ive had units over heat before due to poor circulation on the circuit board and radio architecture.
Pho take a look at the one I linked on the first page. Yes its on the upper end of price, but its one of the best ones out.

Also remember folks, most routers are EOL (end of life) inside of 3 years, so plan on replacing it every 3-5 years.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:19 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by Overbear
Pho take a look at the one I linked on the first page. Yes its on the upper end of price, but its one of the best ones out.

Also remember folks, most routers are EOL (end of life) inside of 3 years, so plan on replacing it every 3-5 years.
So what makes a router end of life?
Old 06-26-2015, 12:15 PM

IMO Electronics like that experience some heat, at least in my home office lol. I stopped stacking units and have open space for all of them now. If you've ever taken apart a router, they are rather pretty simple as in its a flat circuit board with attachments and wires to external antennas. Chips and circuitry like that wear out over time just like the caps will wear out on a computer monitor or on a mother board. I've seen cheaper caps inflate and of course deem motherboards defective. I think the longest running router Ive had was the Cisco Linksys WRT54G, my other ones always had some type of issue or signal drop over the years of usage. And typically when electronics get hot, they malfunction or experience issues.

Heat is just one factor for deficiency; theres plenty of other factors such as quality control and quality of components. Chips and capacitors all have a performance shelf life. You're never going to keep one router (at least not a consumer retail one) for the rest of your life. I've seen people mod routers by adhering GPU heatsinks and at times, even fans.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:55 PM

IMO Electronics like that experience some heat, at least in my home office lol. I stopped stacking units and have open space for all of them now. If you've ever taken apart a router, they are rather pretty simple as in its a flat circuit board with attachments and wires to external antennas. Chips and circuitry like that wear out over time just like the caps will wear out on a computer monitor or on a mother board. I've seen cheaper caps inflate and of course deem motherboards defective. I think the longest running router Ive had was the Cisco Linksys WRT54G, my other ones always had some type of issue or signal drop over the years of usage. And typically when electronics get hot, they malfunction or experience issues.

Heat is just one factor for deficiency; theres plenty of other factors such as quality control and quality of components. Chips and capacitors all have a performance shelf life. You're never going to keep one router (at least not a consumer retail one) for the rest of your life. I've seen people mod routers by adhering GPU heatsinks and at times, even fans.

Also support, most companies stop doing firmware upgrades past the 3 year mark. Zero point to having a hardware router if you are not getting the latest updates and security packs.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I'm using an old Juniper 5GT-WLAN but will probably pick up an used SRX one of these days. Or not. I (like most people) have zero need for 1G ports on my internal network, or WiFi that is faster than my cable connection. I got this used off eBay several years ago and have never had to reset it. You can do several SSIDs, internal networks/VLANs, IPsec VPN tunnels (if you need that sort of thing). Currently using 2 SSIDs for guest and home WiFi. I used a Netgear thing for a while and it was not bad, but it needed to be reset occasionally. Using the same Motorola modem that a few people have posted in here. No complaints.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reccommendations for router/modem? calling overbear and all techies