Question for the gun owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:11 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Heres one thing not a lot of people consider when buying a firearm for home defense: the situation it will be used in.

Someone kicks your door in at 3am, you're not going to be 100% awake/alert, you're going to have a ton of adrenaline running through you and it will probably be dimly lit further disorientating you. These are hard conditions to get good shot off in.

Enter the advantage of a shotgun, your aim doesn't have to be as precise as it would have to be with a sidearm and not many people are going to keep advancing after being hit with even a poorly placed 12 gauge round, especially after they hear you rack the slide for round 2.
hahaha very true words, thats why my brothers best friend got a benelli shotgun with the pistol grip instead of a gun...
Old 09-07-2008, 12:13 AM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
in a close range situation, your shotgun wont give you a large spread to begin with

its about an inch per yard.

so if you blast someone from 4 yards away, thats really only 4 inches, plus you can only carry 5 rounds max, a good handgun you can carry 10.

or if your law enforcement 10+
Old 09-07-2008, 12:34 AM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Man all this gun talk makes me want to go to range right now...haha sorry for the unrelated comment OP
Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
haha get a shotgun and a pistol then...

but really, im thinking more people will be deterred by a shotgun sound and a reload pump than a pistol
Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by slugrx
haha get a shotgun and a pistol then...

but really, im thinking more people will be deterred by a shotgun sound and a reload pump than a pistol

statistically speaking you are 100% correct...

all "bad people" know the sound of a pump shotgun being racked.

and knowing that A LOT of bullets will be coming out, they are stupid to charge forward at you, so thats when you honestly want a shotgun, anyone in there right mind who hears that pump sound and keeps coming...they deserve every pellet in that shell. And each one there after, as they are there to do you harm.

food for thought

-Noah
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Where's BruceLee?
Old 09-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
and to answer another question, I'm a big fan of glocks myself.

I think the 19 is the best for just anyone, i have the 23, 29, and 30...used to have the 27 but that small compact frame with a .40 is a bit much for most. A lot of officers carry them as back up, b/c in a f-ed up perdictment it still has a lot of knockdown power and more rounds than the standard .38 revolver back up piece with 5 rounds (They all carry the hammerless S&W). But again the 27 is not really a pratical learning firearm, I feel its just a last resort in a close situation.

Best home protection dollar for dollar (For handguns), as well as target pratice is going to be a S&W 686, as you can shoot a variety of rounds, .38 wad cutter (nice low recoil, great for learning for the ladies and youngins), it also shoots .38 special (nice powerful round), and the .357 magnum (very powerful and most arent going to live through that).

not very many other guns are as universal as a .357 revolver, S&W I feel makes the best quality day in and day out.

-Noah

Last edited by LICmotorsports; 09-07-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:17 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
For home defense:

Remington 870 Police with extended mag tube and a Glock 21 as your sidearm.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:21 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
OK, let me weigh in here...

1) DO NOT PICK A HANDGUN BY MODEL OR BRAND: Go down to a range, rent 4-5 in the calibers you want to try out and shoot them. Learn how they feel in your hand. As a example glocks do not fit my hand, they are too small framed. I personaly went with the Springfield XD as it fit better.

2) Do not go with the "cool" guns. Again think out your need, what is the number 1 use for it, number 2? Make a list, then compare the handguns. Again as a example after I did my list, I ended up with a Model 19 6" barrel S&W revolver (CHP patrol pistol) in .357 as my home defense weapon. No jams, and I can reload with my star clips just as fast as most automatics.

I want to add on a personal note, I am very anti-Glock. I have had nothing but problems with all 3 that I have owned and ended up giving to my dad. Jams, poorly designed feed ramps, low quality finish, even one that had sear problems. On the flip side, I have never had a colt, kimber, or springfield screw up on me.

Last edited by Overbear; 09-07-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Want to steal my car?
I get stabby!

Car Info: 05 Wrx Impreza
Still waiting for Bruce to post..
Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Car Info: 05 PSM WRX
If your looking for home defense I would also suggest a shotgun. A nice Carbine in .223 or 7.62X39 would have been a better, but your reps in Sacramento pretty much barred that option back in 89.

The hand gun is really a compromise weapon. It's good to have for it's conceal ability. But you'll never get stopping power out of a handgun that you'll get from a long gun. (which is why cops carry a some derivative .40S&W but have a shotgun and/or Rifle in the cars if needed (ie they expect a fight). If you are in your home you really don't need to worry about concealing it.

Bottom line if you want something for personal defense get a handgun.
If you want something for Home defense get a long gun.
Maybe a 870 Police or 1187 if you want to get fancy.

Or get both.... And then practice alot! And take a friend or 5. The more people that get into shooting the better. Especially in a place like California.

Last edited by Tizzo27; 09-07-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Racking the slide on a shotgun is a great detterant,

You can also get a lazer sight, It would scare the **** outta me to see that on my chest also.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 05 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by flatline
Racking the slide on a shotgun is a great detterant,

You can also get a lazer sight, It would scare the **** outta me to see that on my chest also.
Yeah but it also lets the bad guys know you're there. The first thing the bg should see apon finding you is either a bright light followed by a muzzle flash, or a muzzle flash followed by a bright light.

If someone's breaking into your house in the middle of the night (when most people are home) then they are not just there to steal your DVD player.

Also they probably have strength in numbers and they are more alert than you are.

Your advantages are that it's your home and they don't know where you are exactly.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:13 AM

Overbear is Exactly right.
1. You should go and rent a bunch of guns and see what you feel is most comfortable(comfort in hand, natural pointing, ease of operation). Pretty much all of modern guns which cost over $300 are of good enough quality for personal defense purposes(DO NOT GET Ghetto specials: Locerin, Bersa. etc.)

2. Next, you should take in consideration what caliber you want. Bigger calibers are not as important any more due to advancement in the technology of ammo. In fact, there is something to be said about more capacity vs bigger bullet. I had a really good friend/trainer tell me that there no worse feeling in the world than running out of ammo during a gunfight!

Remember, unless you're rich, the cost of ammo will affect how much you practice with your new toy, and PRACTICE is the key. The more range time the better when you are a gun owner. There is nothing that makes me laugh more than a gun owner who gets a gun and throws it in their night stand and feels "safe" because he has a gun.

Note about shotguns. For home defense, nothing is better and is more intimidating. As Noah stated in above, many incidents have been stopped simply by racking the action of a shotgun. You have the versatility of choosing what rounds to use from slug to shot(I would not recommend using 00 buck for home defense, I like bird shot that will not penetrate through walls.) Finally, if you want to get good with your shotgun, go out and shoot some trap/skeet at your local range. It is really fun and a really good way to get some quality practice.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 2006 Limited WRX (totalled), black EVO IX
I Personally Like Sigs I Have A P239. Not A Fan Of Glocks , Went To The Range And Rented A Bunch And Loved The Sig. Go To The Rage And Test Em, Thats Good Advice.

Quick Reply: Question for the gun owners