question about ron price sales and buying a test driven car

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Question question about ron price sales and buying a test driven car

I've read some bad things about ron price service... but how about their sales?

I may buy a black/black Legacy GT from them, but there's about 200 miles on the car. According to the sales manager I've been dealing with, it's been test driven before.

So here's the question...

Is ron price strict about test drives (like santa cruz) where they won't let the customer rev past 4k?

Would you buy a new car w/ 200 miles on it? I'd be saving about $2400 buying this car vs. ordering a 2006.

ed
Old 08-02-2005, 08:52 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
I test drove a car at ron price, and revved it WELL past 4K.

Didn't buy it there because the salesman was a sexist ***. Went and bought the same car in Oakland because the guy didn't pretend that my girlfriend was a piece of wood.

I wouldn't buy a car with 200 test drive miles on it.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
i bought my 03 WRX there and dogged it a lilttle bit when i test drove it. a few months ago i test drove a legacy GT and we took it up to skyline for some "spirited driving".
Old 08-02-2005, 09:27 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
DO NOT BUY A TEST DRIVE CAR!!! When I was first interested in subaru's I test drove one at Stevens Creek (i knew never to buy there, was only going for a test drive) and i was amazed by how they treated the car. The car we took for a test drive had 12 miles on it, 12!!!! the sales guy went WOT in 1st and 2nd and when i drove it he even told me to get on it to see how the car felt. Needless to say i got a car from carlsen that was just coming off the truck.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by doodoobrown

it's worse. Ron Price sucks period.

btw they don't care how u test drive their cars.

Go to Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City. They don't allow test drives on their cars, only test drives allowed are on demo cars.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:32 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I got my 04 WRX wagon from Santa Cruz Subaru with 205 miles on it since it was the only WRB wagon on the lot, and that is the color I wanted. got it for $22K.
I now have 47K miles on it.
Driven it all over the place.
Rain, small rivers, snow, dirt, gravel, tarmac.
Smooth, bumpy, uphill, downhill.
Reved to fuel cut off a couple times, drove it like I stole it after the 1000 mile break in for a couple thousand miles.

No problems.
Though I think after driving it a couple weekends in 100+ degree weather up in Yreka I have a mild oil leak from my transmission I think, at the rear of the drive shaft. its either a broken seal, or an over flow tube is down there. We will see this weekend. :X

But yeah, my car was test driven for 200~ miles and its fine.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by dan avoN7
DO NOT BUY A TEST DRIVE CAR!!! When I was first interested in subaru's I test drove one at Stevens Creek (i knew never to buy there, was only going for a test drive) and i was amazed by how they treated the car. The car we took for a test drive had 12 miles on it, 12!!!! the sales guy went WOT in 1st and 2nd and when i drove it he even told me to get on it to see how the car felt. Needless to say i got a car from carlsen that was just coming off the truck.
haha i bought my car at Steven's Creek. luckily it had just gotten there, and I put the first 3 miles on it before it was mine.

oh wait well...the the salesman took it for like 0.1 miles before he pulled over and I switched to it.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
VIP Member

Thanks for the input...

i just gotta decide $1500 vs. non-test driven car
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Thanks for the input...

i just gotta decide $1500 vs. non-test driven car
thats like 3-4 payments if you don't put much down.

I would say "look, I really like the car I drove, but it being a test driven car makes me nerveous. Can you include an extended warranty for 7 years, 100K miles with the price you gave?"

Unless you are going to void your warranty.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 2015 STI

I may buy a black/black Legacy GT from them, but there's about 200 miles on the car. According to the sales manager I've been dealing with, it's been test driven before.

So here's the question...

Is ron price strict about test drives (like santa cruz) where they won't let the customer rev past 4k?

Would you buy a new car w/ 200 miles on it? I'd be saving about $2400 buying this car vs. ordering a 2006.

ed

I've bought my WRX from Ron Price! Service suck, I'll give you that, but sales... depends on who you deal with.

Look for Tappan DeArrigunaga...

he'll let you test drive the car however you want; he even encourages you. That's how I got to test drive the STi and my current WRX. He's also a great salesman to deal with. He gave me an exeptional service and deal! Give him a try when you go to test drive.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:58 AM
ZK

Car Info: 08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 10
I can see buying a test drive car if they sell it a DEEP discount. It's the same deal as if you buy a used car. You have no idea how the previous owner used to drive it.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan (WRBlue Pearl)
I test drove at Ron Price, and they let us take the car without a salesperson, and the salesperson actually suggested that we get on the freeway and really test it. Getting a test drive car is almost like getting a rental car.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:18 AM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
i test drove a 00 2.5RS back in the days at ron price. salesperson didn't go with me. he never said what i can't do with the car (all he said was that if i'm not back in 15 minutes they are gonna get me). i was speeding, revs were pretty high. when i got back to the dealership their assitant manager greeted me and told me to leave. he said he's not gonna sell me any car. fine with me since they were like 2 grand more than carlsen. got my car from carlsen. yea, don't buy a test car esp. from ron price. actually don't freaking buy anything from ron price.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:40 AM

Car Info: 1988 ford econoline
Originally Posted by ZK
I can see buying a test drive car if they sell it a DEEP discount. It's the same deal as if you buy a used car. You have no idea how the previous owner used to drive it.
well in a way you do know how the previous owner drove it

because people only have a limited amount of time with the car so they're gonna' push it hard rather than take it easy...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:28 AM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
Originally Posted by WRBlueGirl
Getting a test drive car is almost like getting a rental car.
very succinct and accurate way of putting it.

Quick Reply: question about ron price sales and buying a test driven car