Post Your Pup

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Your silence is deafening.

But here's a picture of Toro being a happy dog, which he's really great at as well:
I guess I missed this earlier. You often have a good point, but this is just retarded. Using this creative logic and the search function I guess we could find some pretty nasty things that "sit well with you" too.

Jeff: what's the problem? I said the picture of the dead cat "changes the tone" which I thought it did. Yeah, I like cats but I also like wombats and llamas and stuff. I used to live next to someone who killed pretty much anything that walked into his yard for fun, which is why I asked about the livestock and such. Sorta sucks to really see an animal dead, even not knowing the reasoning for it which obviously can sometimes be valid.

I am confused at why I sparked these comments from you guys by making a comment about the dead cat picture. I was not offended, and did not intend to offend either of you. I am replying because I have respect for both of you, if I didn't care I wouldn't reply.

Anyway, the real reason for this post is my life changed yesterday and I am pretty excited and awfully tired. Looking forward to a life with a lil pal, and it's hard to put it into words. I have only had a family dog when I was younger, which was shot by the above mentioned neighbor, and my wife was never allowed to have a dog. So this is really a dream come true for both of us, and in a matter of hours it's been more awesome than either of us imagined. Cats are cool animals, but as nice as they are it's like - there's your cat. Done. This little pup has so much personality only knowing her since yesterday, it's incredible and I guess I really had no idea. Pretty much everything in our apartment is about a foot higher than it was yesterday morning, and all of our couch cushions are stuffed into nooks and crannies.

Jeff - still very into getting some advice from you regarding training and such if you are down, it would be very appreciated. We are taking her to a vet today to have her checked out and make sure she's a healthy lil pup as well as get advice on immunizations and vaccine schedules. She isn't drinking much water, but she seems great either way. She slept through the night really well in her crate, and only whimpered and whined when we got up. The cuteness is astounding. Her name's Kenzie, and she's a Boston Terrier.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I guess that explains why you are up so early. As far as the other stuff, who cares. Yesterdays news and I still think cats suck.
Puppies are the best. Wait until after her second set of shots to take her out. This is a whole new world for her. A few things you can start right away. Crate training is great. Keep the size small enough so that she can laydown, turn around and stand. That's it. A dog will not ish or **** where it sleeps. This is the pooch's home, shelter comfort spot. This is why crate training is so helpful while house training. Here's the house training tip of the day, take them out often. After they wake up, after play, after they eat. Just about all the time. If she has an accident, no big deal clean it up and take her out more often. Look at it this way, you want to take her out so much that she can't go on her own. A couple things you can do along the way. First, "leash" this is association and it allows you to control where they potty, next "outside" you say this when you go outside, next "go potty" in the correct spot. When they do "go potty" jump for joy, get her excited, praise her, etc. Then upon entering the house "inside" three association commands she'll have in less than a week. You are reinforcing the right behavior. During the night time hours this can be traumatic for the dog. Remember those few hours alone are probably the first time she has been by herself. During the day light hours use the crate to help her associate the crate as a safe place. It should be all fun and games. Place a small piece of a treat or some easy cheese in the crate when she goes in she get's the treat. Easy right. Then try it and close the door and then let her out and give her a bit more. Gradually leave her for longer and longer periods. Close the door then it on the couch for a couple min. GO get a beer what ever. Point is to make it rewarding and gradual. It doesn't have to be food, maybe she is just as responsive to a toy. Who knows. It's all about building the relationship of trust with your dog. The wimpering will subside overtime as long as you don't allow yourself to respond to it. The first couple weeks should seem like a lot of work. It pays off quickly.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:40 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03

"And 1 for my dead homies."
Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 2017 Limited Edition BRZ
those are awesome pup pictures! i LOVE puppies! they're cute.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Wow, I posted, but didn't give the background.

I started looking a few years ago on www.petfinder.com and came across this guy.

He was an Egyptian Pharaoh Hound & Rhodesian Ridgeback mix down at Ace of Hearts Rescue in Beverly Hills. I messaged them about the dog and they told me he was going to be on display on Saturday and just to come check him out. So, I hoped in the car and drove down on Saturday morning. I get there only to find out 1) He was sick & 2) He wasn't even AT the show day at the local Petco. I had to drive out to go see him at the foster mom's place. I drove over and met him and he was super cool. So after that I start to walk out and he was following me, ready to leave with me. I told him he couldn't come with me and had to stay, but that I would come back to get him. I called the Rescue, told them I wanted him and they said they would arrange a way for me to either meet them halfway or they would deliver him back up to me in the Bay Area.

I tried for 6 months to get him, calling every week only to hear..."Oh, we are just on our way out the door, can we call you back in 15 minutes?". I would NEVER get any phone calls back. Needless to say, after about 6 months of trying I finally gave up and went back on Petfinder and found my current guy.

This is Dao (Day-O). He's Egyptian Pharaoh Hound & Black Lab mix. I got him from Special Pets Rescue up in Clear Lake. He was originally from Taiwan. They said he got out from his owners place and was hit by a car and broke his back right leg. He had a pin in his leg and it had been removed the week before I got him. He had only been in the U.S. for about 3 weeks. He is full grown now and the leg is healed as best as it probably will be. He is extremely quick, but I would have loved to have seen what he would have been like without having his leg broken (however if that was the case, he never would have found his way to me).

He is 1 of only about 1500-1600 Pharaoh Hounds in the entire U.S. as the breed itself only arrived in the U.S. in the '60's. However it is possibly the oldest domesticated breed as King Tut even had one of these dogs.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:21 PM

Car Info: just a wagon
first pic's he's about a month old second one's a year old
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  52.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0170.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  59.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0171.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  59.3 KB
Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Fear the tongue with legs
Name:  GoofballMaddie.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  18.2 KB
Old 05-28-2009, 12:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
not really my pup.. but jeremy (krinkov) would disagree as i was ready to adopt him one very drunk night in mexico during the WRC in 08.

Now for my pup!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:48 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
too bad we didnt get the cats face haha.. this is my brothers cat at least part of him

oh and my niece

Name:  biggrin.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  40.3 KB
Old 05-28-2009, 01:51 AM

Car Info: 2008 subaru AWD stroller...wahaha
Originally Posted by Gibz
too bad we didnt get the cats face haha.. this is my brothers cat at least part of him

oh and my niece

haha...cute, I mean your niece...

alan'09
Old 05-28-2009, 01:53 AM

hehe thanks that was a year or so ago.. they grow up to fast and sucks they dont live close to see her all the time.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 AM

Last sunday morning I woke up and the whole morning my dog is like, hmmmmmmm snnortttttttt........then she goes nuts at it so i take her to emergency vet. they have to put her under and cant find a foxtrail but say mad sinus greenishniss, tonsils almost bloody had to drain her out and give her meds etc. since then she has been pretty normal after the first night coming down from being knocked out.......now tonight shes being acting neurotic, licking this one toy for hours and whining. Im going to take her in tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:15 AM

aww whats making her sick?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Anyone looked at this site at all? I am new to training, but a lot of the things in here seem a little extreme to me, and have me wondering - if you follow what they are saying, what exactly can you do with your dog if you cannot show them affection or play with them? Don't get on the floor with her, don't let her ever be higher in elevation than you, don't let anything turn into tug-o-war (which everything does), don't show her affection when she is excited when you come back, etc etc etc.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/

My pup had a biting issue honestly because my wife and I were lazy and thought it was "cute" probably like most new/ignorant dog owners but quickly learned that we didn't want her doing that when she was older. In an effort to not create a nuerotic animal, I have thought about what I do and do not want her to do for her whole life, and am treating her accordingly. Took about a day of being consistent, and now she will not bite me which is pretty awesome. LOTS of learning to do, and sadly the hardest part of this is other people who are totally disrespectful of what it takes to keep a puppy in check. So far every person who has visited her has been difficult and due to where I live, it's hard to take her out to potty without some fool going "OHHHHH A PUPPEEEEEEE HOW CYOOOOT CAN I HOLD HER OH MAH GAWD WHAT A CUTE LITTLE DOG AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH" which has me peeking around the corner to make sure no one is around. One lady started hollering at her just as she was squatting, and got her all worked up, and actually came into my yard and went to pick her up - people are weird. Can't wait till she has all her shots so I can start taking her for walks and working on how she behaves around others and all that. It's clear that people do NOT know how to behave around dogs, so it's my job to make sure my dog knows how to behave around people. Doing lots of reading, and I think we got a great little pup. Pretty funny when she gets tired and passes out, she is OUT. She's had lots of car rides and does great with that, and has even chillaxed in the garage while I was getting some work done.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:35 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
That's a cute puppy, wombatsuace.

This was Uli; I had to give her up after three days. No doubt, she was gonna be the best dog I've ever known.

Quick Reply: Post Your Pup