Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 PM

Car Info: 04 STI

to keep the snow outa my eyes
Old 12-31-2010, 12:40 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by sybir
Don't bother. If it's mounted, on or off won't matter - you're getting a performance award.

Maybe I'm dense (it happens), but the V1 turns off if you just turn the volume wheel all the way to off, doesn't it? Mine both have a detent there that clicks it off.

Check under your dome light, too - there should be a mirror harness there even if you don't have a homelink/autodim/compass mirror.
+3

It's not illegal to have a radar detector. What kind of ticket are they going to give you?

But yeah, most detectors have a power switch on them. And my car has the mirror harness up there even though I don't the home link mirror. Those are the wires I tapped and it was seriously the easiest electrical mod I have ever done.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 AM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback
Don't bother. If it's mounted, on or off won't matter - you're getting a performance award.

Maybe I'm dense (it happens), but the V1 turns off if you just turn the volume wheel all the way to off, doesn't it? Mine both have a detent there that clicks it off.
Don't think you'd get a ticket. As for the v1, yes, turn the volume **** all the way to the left and you should hear/feel it click into the off position. You could always mount a power switch somewhere near your seat to turn off the radar detector so at least the display lights aren't on and flashing if you get pulled over and so the cop doesn't see you turn it off (you can do it discretely).
Old 12-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL

Check under your dome light, too - there should be a mirror harness there even if you don't have a homelink/autodim/compass mirror.
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
+3

It's not illegal to have a radar detector. What kind of ticket are they going to give you?

But yeah, most detectors have a power switch on them. And my car has the mirror harness up there even though I don't the home link mirror. Those are the wires I tapped and it was seriously the easiest electrical mod I have ever done.
Originally Posted by robie1208
Don't think you'd get a ticket. As for the v1, yes, turn the volume **** all the way to the left and you should hear/feel it click into the off position. You could always mount a power switch somewhere near your seat to turn off the radar detector so at least the display lights aren't on and flashing if you get pulled over and so the cop doesn't see you turn it off (you can do it discretely).
Ya im not worried about getting a ticket with it, but say at night, i could turn it off and have it be less visable to the cop anyways.

Hmm now ill have to go check my wiring up there to see what ive got
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Dyna, sunbathing.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
^ Nice dog....and Evo.

My latest purchase: Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wall=Blackwall
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Originally Posted by G_Ride
^ Nice dog....and Evo.

My latest purchase: Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wall=Blackwall
Nice! Was looking at these. Just might have to pick them up!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
^ You might also want to check out the Hankook Ventus R-S3; I've talked to a few people at various autox events and they say the Hankooks are very sticky.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Ya im not worried about getting a ticket with it, but say at night, i could turn it off and have it be less visable to the cop anyways.

Hmm now ill have to go check my wiring up there to see what ive got
You don't get a ticket for the detector - you don't have a chance of getting off with a warning if the cop sees it, though. Takes any sort of leniency, plausible deniability, etc and throws it out the window. They're not likely to let you get away with it when it's clear you've taken steps to avoid getting pulled over, right? It's totally legal, but it'll screw ya once you're on the side of the road.

Face it, you've got that in your car because you roll at extralegal speeds and you're trying to give yourself better chances, right? Spare me any other explanation, we all know what it means, and cops will make the same assumption.

I'm also not trying to be a pillar of righteousness over here - both of my cars have hardwired V1's
Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Churro Aficionado

^ Ya ive kinda wondered if cops would still give warnings or not if/when they see a detector..

Best bet is to just not get pulled over to begin with
I think the last time I got pulled over was last Aug (and got a ticket). Time before that was maybe every 6-8 months wiht no tickets haha
Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
^^ With the record that I have... I'm not getting any warnings anyway...

My best bet is to just be really nice to the officer and maybe I'll get a reduced speed, but never going to get let off. Or I will get a reduced speed so it will be harder for me to contest it.

I'm still curious as to how much a car color plays into the situation. I have yet to get a ticket that had the right color on it.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon

In terms of reading material, my world is still flat, but I find myself drifting further and further away from Subarus...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 AM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Originally Posted by G_Ride
^ Nice dog....and Evo.

I did 2 track days with these tires, T-Hill and Laguna, and they worked really well. Lots of grip and gave me more confidence than my old RT-615s. Plus they're pretty good in the rain.

I was also looking at the RS-3s...probably will be my next pickup when i need some sticky tires.

EDIT: just looked at tirerack and daaayam! the StarSpecs are pricey. I got them for about $100 each about 10 months ago. Dunlop was doing a $80 rebate when you bought 4.

Last edited by Giibo; 01-04-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Churro Aficionado

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
^^ With the record that I have... I'm not getting any warnings anyway...

My best bet is to just be really nice to the officer and maybe I'll get a reduced speed, but never going to get let off. Or I will get a reduced speed so it will be harder for me to contest it.

I'm still curious as to how much a car color plays into the situation. I have yet to get a ticket that had the right color on it.
in 7 years ive gotten
1 tint ticket
1 speeding ticket
1 stop sign ticket (fought that and won )

Then ive gotten off with warnings id guess about 4 or 5 times
Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Originally Posted by Pearl07STI
MOSSBERG 28” VENT RIB 12-GA. PUMP COMBO

Big 5 Special - Now just gotta wait 10 days...

got the same setup. PM if you want to know the correct parts for it. you cant just order stocks/grips for it. mossberg made that gun for big 5 to sell cheaply. you have to mix/match certain parts for them to fit. also,on the 18.5" barrell leave the bead in place and install a hi-viz clamp site. if you try to unscrew the bead it WILL snap off. they spot welded the stupid things.

Quick Reply: Post a *PIC* of your latest purchase..