Place to have manual trans rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Place to have manual trans rebuilt?

So I have this pet car, a 1991 Subaru Justy 4X4 GL. I really love it, and have been replacing parts on it left and right to try to restore it. It's only got 54k miles on it and the interior is pretty much perfect. Doubt I would see another like it.

Anyway, it has a 5spd w/ part-time 4WD selected by a button on the shifter. The 2nd gear synchro is a little crunchy, but has been made better with Redline and more careful use. Lately though, it has started making a weird noise - sounds JUST like the right side axle has a dying CV joint. Sort of a "crack-crack-crack" with road speed... Sometimes it does it more when turning, sometimes it will do it best just going straight. Also, it totally goes away if you drive on the freeway - say 60mph or greater - for about 5 minutes or so. Once the car sits for a couple hours, it will do it again.

Recently, I had the front axles and hub/wheel bearings replaced as well as the struts and a few other items. The noise existed after the axle replacement and was actually even a little louder so the shop volunteered to warranty the axles - they were convinced it was a bad CV joint on a new axle. The noise is still there, so we are sure it's in the transmission now... After 3 alignments and all these parts special ordered from Japan I really don't want to get even deeper, but just not sure getting a junkyard transmission is the right thing to do.

So... I doubt I will ever find someone who has actually torn down a Justy gearbox, but what would be nice is to find someone who is competent with tearing down and rebuilding gearboxes that would be able to take this job on. Can anyone recommend someone who could possibly do something like this? Basically looking for a rebuild to fix whatever is wrong - it has been said it could be a problem with the front diff or a bearing related to such - and replace 1st + 2nd gear synchros.

Can anyone recommend a shop or such?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
I can't help other than the fact that I have wanted one of those for about 2yrs now. STi swap??? LOL. Good luck and I am jealous /napolean dynamite
Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by STiYLIN
I can't help other than the fact that I have wanted one of those for about 2yrs now. STi swap??? LOL. Good luck and I am jealous /napolean dynamite
Haha.. It's wicked fun for sure. I have wanted one since my dad's friend bought one brand new in '89. People look at the car and usually don't understand, but to drive it - it is all clear pretty quick. It's literally a psycho mouse. SOOOO much fun. I took it down hwy 9 over the weekend, what a blast... So light that you can really keep up with things that would be surprising - the only prob is not having enough power to pass people if you need. Thankfully people were pulling over a lot on the weekend. 4 Harleys pulled over and let me by even. Shock!