Photoshop plug-in crashed Windows now no Adobe programs work

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:40 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Photoshop plug-in crashed Windows now no Adobe programs work

So I was working on a photo in Photoshop CS6 with the Nik Software Color Efex plug-in and when I went to load the photo back into Photoshop, the computer crashed going straight to the infamous evil blue screen (popped up for a quarter of a second so I had no chance of seeing what it said) and computer restarted. Started Photoshop back up and it crashes as soon as it fully loads. So for the past few hours I've been uninstalling/reinstalling Photoshop along with the Nik plug-in and deleting Adobe files associated with Photoshop. What I did find is that when the plug-in isn't installed Photoshop works or atleast did. I even still had CS5.1 on my computer and that doesn't work anymore.

Clearly there's something up with the plug-in from the crash. My issue now, is that now none of my Adobe software works. Before, Premier Pro, After Effects, etc still worked because they had no association with the plug-in but now nothing. I get these Adobe errors about an installation error even though they've been on my computer for months.

Anyone ever gone through this issue or know Windows enough to guide me to where this ***** *** problem could lay? I tried Googling it and found others having the same issue, but it doesn't look like anyone found an actual fix just bandaid fixes.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 2005
System restore? Go back a few days. Doesnt meant he problem wont come back though.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Yeah just tried that but my only restore points are from after the crash. Which is because I was cleaning out my C: drive and one of the things I read was to delete old restore points. Not expecting anything like this to happen, I went along and deleted the old points pretty much sealing the deal for a proper restore.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional as well.

Think I'm going to go and re-download everything which should give me the latest versions off the bat and see how that goes. I'm hoping there's no damaged Windows files that'll prevent me from getting clean installs.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I have been having a bunch of issues with CS6 myself. I'm not overly pleased with it to tell you the truth. It's VERY delicate. I have software crashes daily and usually a system crash every 2 days.

When I was running CS5 I would almost never get crashes. Most of my crashes came running CS4. Irritating.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Yeah same here, never had a crash on CS5. I had this Nik plug-in on CS5 and no issues and it was working perfectly fine on CS6, till today. Hoping a clean install will help

On a side note, has anyone been able to download Photoshop CS6 Extended? It has its own page on Adobe's site but when you go to download it and it brings up their download manager, I've never seen Extended listed just the regular Photoshop version. Their site says its included in the Master Collection and Design & Web Premium Suite, but even when I downloaded the Design & Web Suite, it was just the regular Photoshop version.