Out of state new purchase - smog check?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Impreza TS Wagon
Out of state new purchase - smog check?

To anyone that purchased a new car from an out of state dealership - did the DMV require you to get a smog check / have a smog certificate in order to register the vehicle?

EDIT: It's all done. My sister's new Impreza is registered, tagged, and plated. See Post #11

Last edited by AVATAR-X; 03-02-2017 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Asked and answered
Old 02-28-2017, 10:21 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
I'm 99.99999% sure that you will need to get your out of car state smog checked, unless it is a 50-state legal car.

oh wait, scratch that...according to this website:

Here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...t_facts/ffvr29

you're not allowed to register (at all, from my read) NEW vehicles (that is, anything with less than 7,500 miles on odometer) that aren't 50-state legal. meaning, if it's just 49-state legal, no dice.

Hope others can chime in on this...

there are a few exceptions--check out the webpage.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

I'm not worried about being able to register it - it was ordered through Subaru for a California address and it's PZEV.

I'm mostly wondering if I need to have a smog certificate on a car that would otherwise be exempt from smogging (for being too new), and if I really need the certificate before I go to the DMV. I know registration renewals can be done before you smog.

Calling the DMV wasn't very helpful.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:33 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
In 2002 I bought a new car from an Ohio dealer. It was 50-state (i.e.,California) legal. I had to go through the process of registering a used car from another state: smog check,VIN verification,fee$ and taxe$. Form 343.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
My gf and I just bought a new car from Reno, NV in Jan and we DID have to get a smog test and bring in the paperwork to DMV.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
AFAIK, it needs to be smogged to be registered. It should fall under the 5 yr rule afterwards I believe.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:33 AM
VIP Member

Yeah, got a call from the DMV and the person there said to get the car smogged and bring a paper copy of the smog certificate.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:12 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Do you still have to go to the chp for inspections?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:26 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Originally Posted by AVATAR-X
Yeah, got a call from the DMV and the person there said to get the car smogged and bring a paper copy of the smog certificate.
Ah, good to know. thanks for following up and adding to community knowledge!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Do you still have to go to the chp for inspections?
No, you do not have to take it in. Just smog and paperwork at DMV.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:20 PM
VIP Member

It's all done. My sister's new Impreza is registered, tagged, and plated.

So, I took the car to my local Smog Test station for her. I told them I had a new out-of-state car that needed to be smogged for registration purposes. I'm pretty sure they only did an OBD test (no sniffer).

They sent the usual electronic certificate to the DMV and gave me a paper copy. I gave the paper copy to my sister to take to the DMV.

She said that the person at the local DMV had all the necessary paperwork, sent to them by the dealership (FedEx'ed with a tracking number). The paperwork was a hardcopy, so it was at a particular DMV (make sure you know which one you need to go to). My sister had already contacted the local DMV by phone, so someone there was already up to speed and had verified that they had all the forms they needed.

At the DMV, she told them she was there to register an out-of-state car and that she spoke to someone already. They grabbed the paperwork and took her ID. She paid the registration fee (it's cash, check, or debit). The tax was already paid for - collected by the dealership at the time of purchase.

They did some stuff with the paperwork, then told her to wait for one of their inspectors. They went out to the car, checked the specs (Model, VIN, # of doors, emission stuff, etc.) and looked under the hood. The inspector made some notes on the paperwork.

She went back inside and they made sure all of the info from the car matched their paperwork. Then they went and grabbed her registration (not temporary), tags, and her plates. I'm not sure how long they had the plates, she had the car a few weeks before she registered it.

FYI, you're supposed to get an out-of-state car registered within 20 days of it entering the state. The DMV should have the paperwork within a few business days - you can always ask the dealership for a tracking number.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
That all sounds normal. That is basically what I needed to do when I brought my SAABs from Reno. Smog rules changed and newer cars (MY00 and later) do not get the sniffer or the rollers any longer. Only older cars these days.

Originally Posted by AVATAR-X
It's all done. My sister's new Impreza is registered, tagged, and plated.

So, I took the car to my local Smog Test station for her. I told them I had a new out-of-state car that needed to be smogged for registration purposes. I'm pretty sure they only did an OBD test (no sniffer).

They sent the usual electronic certificate to the DMV and gave me a paper copy. I gave the paper copy to my sister to take to the DMV.

She said that the person at the local DMV had all the necessary paperwork, sent to them by the dealership (FedEx'ed with a tracking number). The paperwork was a hardcopy, so it was at a particular DMV (make sure you know which one you need to go to). My sister had already contacted the local DMV by phone, so someone there was already up to speed and had verified that they had all the forms they needed.

At the DMV, she told them she was there to register an out-of-state car and that she spoke to someone already. They grabbed the paperwork and took her ID. She paid the registration fee (it's cash, check, or debit). The tax was already paid for - collected by the dealership at the time of purchase.

They did some stuff with the paperwork, then told her to wait for one of their inspectors. They went out to the car, checked the specs (Model, VIN, # of doors, emission stuff, etc.) and looked under the hood. The inspector made some notes on the paperwork.

She went back inside and they made sure all of the info from the car matched their paperwork. Then they went and grabbed her registration (not temporary), tags, and her plates. I'm not sure how long they had the plates, she had the car a few weeks before she registered it.

FYI, you're supposed to get an out-of-state car registered within 20 days of it entering the state. The DMV should have the paperwork within a few business days - you can always ask the dealership for a tracking number.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Car Info: Impreza 2014
I've always wondered why CA requires all brand new cars from out of state to be smogged. I was told CA has the strictest emissions laws compared to any other state.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:47 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by TurboRev
I've always wondered why CA requires all brand new cars from out of state to be smogged. I was told CA has the strictest emissions laws compared to any other state.
It's not about emissions. It's about the $8.25 fee for a piece of paper.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:55 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I sold my FXT to a guy in Reno and technically I didn't have to smog it because he has to smog it there. According to him Nevada doesn't have smog, but that county does, so he had to re-smog it anyway.

Quick Reply: Out of state new purchase - smog check?