Other Forums?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:14 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Other Forums?

How many of you guys are active on other forums...subaru and non-subaru?

I'm pretty active on a couple different boards...have time...at work...haa.

Well one of them is a hotrod site. I get info and ask questions and buy stuff through it for my cadillac. I love the site. Love a lot of people on the site and met a guy that's been a HUGE help to me in the progress of my caddy. BUT....they have this thing where they are like a fraternity and if it doesn't fit their views of traditional it gets blasted. If you don't do things theie way you get blasted. This is trendy that is trendy...blah blah blah. On top of that if you make a post they don't like they blast you. Noobies get SHREDDED there. I survived the newbie period and have about 475 posts there now and a few people that like me there and I talk to. A couple of them are pretty big time in the hot rod arena.

Well...this guy makes a post the other day laughing at a bug that looks like a turtle...I'm sure you've seen the photo. People start blasting the guy like he was serious and thought it was the new trend. I'm like...man just cause you don't like it doesn't mean you can't respect the work that went into it. dude that built it probably has more talent than half the people that talk **** on that site.

I just got sick of it. Said I'm sick of all the fraternity bull**** and that there are a bunch of *****es on the site.

Apparently a few of the "oldtimers" can't take what they dish and took offense to it. Looks like I'm about to get booted off my first site.

Pisses me off cause I've pretty much minded my own business and participated on the site...including donateing over $300 to the site. But I crossed the freaking brethren so I must go. Bunch of *****es.

The guy that owns the board sent me an email and lectured me. I told him I respect him and most of the people on the board but I'm not a punk *****. I don't bend over and take it cause the brethren says so. I never have and never will. My freshman year I got respect from the seniors by flat backing two seniors in the same week. I was all of 135 pounds and 5'5" at the time. Never had another problem. That's the way I live my life. I show respect. I mellow as hell. I'm friendly as hell. I'm very very slow to anger..actually pisses my girlfriend off sometimes cause she'll be yelling at me and I just keep talking like everything is cool. Basically I just do my thing. But I let my opinions be known and I don't take no ****.

Do the same thing in the office. I have respect from those it matters but I won't go anywhere in this company cause I don't kiss ***, suck dick and marry directors daughters. I don't play the game.

I'm posting this cause I'm wondering if you've come across this on any other sites you post on?

On top of that I wanted to say that I'm now even more stoked on our subaru community. Yeah we talk a lot of crap and we have our fair share of tools but we're a friendly helpful bunch of guys that will go out of our way to help each other when the time comes...as was evidence on the hamilton drive and other times in the past.

Just wanted to say I'm glad I know some of you guys.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:19 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Yeah. Here.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:26 AM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
I am member of a few sites, but not that active. I mainly lurk and post once in a while - not enough to get caught in e-drama. I am most active here.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:43 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by OwlBoogie
I am member of a few sites, but not that active. I mainly lurk and post once in a while - not enough to get caught in e-drama. I am most active here.

yeah but with the hotrod crowd it's not just E'drama.

there are some big time guys on that board. The guys that set up Viva Las Vegas, Paso, good guys...editors of magazines...big time builders...etc.

On top of that you could get your *** kicked at a show for pissin off the wrong people.

Just weird man. I can't believe it. Bunch of 30-50 year old men acting like children.

I love you guys.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 06 Evolution IX MR Graphite Gray
I've been on many forums over the years - some actively, others just for spectating. The same rules apply on forums as they do with any congregation of people:

1) There are always going to be ******** in the bunch. Occasionally the ******* ratio becomes too high and the group / site crumbles under its own stupidity.

2) To combat the ********, people will band together, thus forming 'cliques'. Sometimes the jack offs band together to fight back and becomes more or less a war. This usually degenerates to 'Yeah? I f**ked yer mom last night!" rather quickly.

3) When the group polarizes, each faction feels it is 'right' and staunchly defends its position. One side or the other will usually have the support of the administration. That side usually wins due to technological superiority.

4) Once the admin-backed side has quelled all the other uprisings (e.g. IP bans for everyone), they closely guard their newfound but soon-to-be-short-lived freedom from ********. Celebrations are held, praise is heaped upon the admins, and their is much rejoicing throughout the kingdom. Until the first brave ******* learns how to defeat the IP ban and logs in once again.

5) Now it becomes something of a game between the administration and the ******** - kinda like the FBI tracking down terrorist cells. For every one that gets banned, 3 new ones show up. Or perhaps it's just the same ******* using different accounts on different machines. Either way, the administration and the ruling faction are very intolerant of anything and anyone that doesn't share their views, since most of the people have historically been what? That's right. ********. Thus dissent is seen as *******-dom, so you start seeing this 'agree with us or get banned' crap starting.

This list could go on for many more steps, including people breaking off to start their own sites, invading other sites and forums to flame one another and people actually arranging meetings in person to attempt to beat one another to a pulp. Gotta love the Internet.

-Bis
Old 06-08-2005, 11:01 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Bismarck

This list could go on for many more steps, including people breaking off to start their own sites, invading other sites and forums to flame one another and people actually arranging meetings in person to attempt to beat one another to a pulp. Gotta love the Internet.

-Bis

sounds kind of ummmm....familiar. haaa.

But yeah...the view of the site is definately two sided. Love it. Hate it. Few people have gotten pissed over the years I guess. Some other forums have popped up. Etc.

it just sucks. I mean there is some great talent to tap into on that site.

The people on there is like here where we have people like Mike and Adam and other shop guys on the board.

But then toss in the mix an editer or subie sport magazine or maybe a couple guys that build rally cars for subaru or other big investers like the DC car. Then toss in a couple of drivers and some D1 guys and stuff like that.

Seriously. The talent on that board is insane. I don't know how familiar you are with hot rod culture but Coop got booted off the site. Cole from the biker build off is on there...he's probably one of the top builders out there right now. Just sold one of his trucks for like $90k. Bikes are price wise right there with jesse james. I mean big time guys.

site could have an insane amount of knowledge coming out of it but instead people just ***** and talk ****. Every now and again a great tech thread comes about.

sucks.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
The only other site I frequent is wrxfanatics.com....they are alot like this site, which is probably why I am active over there too....I hate all that drama crap that has been mentioned....I am alot like you are OneManArmy, pretty mellow, it takes alot to get me riled up, and I dont take no **** from anyone, and will stand up for what I believe in.

YAY for the WRX community! :banana: give yourselves all a pat on the back.

-Ted
Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 AM

Generally speaking, I try to stay out of the flame wars and arguments that develop, mainly because it's rare to see a discussion-turned-argument that doesn't degenerate into 'F**K U HITLER! U D0nT KNO S$&T ABOUT THIS!11!1 U GOTZ PWNED, n00b1!!!!11!1!'.

Which is, while perhaps mildly entertaining, just a waste of time and bandwidth.

Although my personal favorite is still this:

Idiot: "What do U know?"
Me: "Apparently much more than you do."
Idiot: "U think so? I can kick ur a$$, punk 61tch!!"

Ummm. Yeah. That's a worthy conversation right there. I've even had one guy announce to everyone that he was going to go 'pick something up from a friend' (referring to a firearm) and wanted me to 'name the time and place, b#$%h'. My response:

"Oh ok. Meet me at 101 N. Hedding Street in San Jose. And make sure you bring guns. Lots of em."

I almost went down there to sit across the street with a video camera.

-Bis
Old 06-08-2005, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
/\/\ now THAT would have been funny.....I work around that area...so yea, I can vouge....the dude would have been pwned! LOL

-Ted
Old 06-08-2005, 11:25 AM
General Pimpin'

that would have been funny. Probably would have seen a bunch of fat redheaded napoleon looking tools show up with "gats" haaaa. Should have confirmed and then called the cops.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
im on here, nabisco, awjunkies, offtopic.com, and this nerdy bio/pharmaceutical research forum also haha.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:41 AM

Yeah I seriously considered going down there just to see if he was actually stupid enough to show up AND be armed at the same time. He claimed to be some big-*** Samoan guy, and that being the case, he'd have been very easy to pick out in a crowd. Makes the cops' job that much easier.

But it would have been so damned funny on so many different levels -
1) He wanted to kick my *** because I tore him a new one on the internet
2) He actually thought I'd give him a real address, not the address of the San Jose Police Headquarters.
3) He decided to bring a loaded, concealed firearm with him to kick someone's ***, and perhaps commit a homocide, right out in front of SJPD.
4) He actually thought I'd be stupid enough to goad him into doing this and really show up.
5) He bragged about what he was going to do (multiple felonies) in front of many many many people. It's probably still in the archives, if that forum is still around.

The joys of allowing any dumbass with $50 for a 56k modem and a computer on the Internet... Although these days I'll blame the $19.95 broadband for this problem, since that makes it even easier for the knuckledraggers to make their presence known out here.

-Bis
Old 06-08-2005, 12:22 PM

I'm on a few sites. Out of all, i'd say the fraternity thing is mostly on I-Club, BAIC actually. I can't say much for the rest of the site.

Newbies are always given a hard time on every site....i think it just weeds out the trolls and people who don't use the search button.

As for being a part of or against the "collective" I could care less, I can get the info I need without participating much. I'll help when I can, assist anyone I can, but I try to stay away from the mainstream banter posts that fill up much of any forum such as TIA threads or other such things.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:32 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
only other boards i visit is flat4lv and yotatech
Old 06-08-2005, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
i go onto vwvortex sometimes

Quick Reply: Other Forums?