Oswald Performance products?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX
Oswald Performance products?

I'm curious if anyone has ordered from them on their site: HOME

Or have used their products. I did some research and found that they make a very nice subframe for the GD and some light weight bumper beams.

if you have any of their products please share your thoughts on them.

I'm about to make a purchase for a bumper beam but i'm not sure of the benefits yet.

here's a pic from their site:
Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I would consider a few things.

1)Are you DDing your car?
2)Do you drive it on the street a lot?

if you answer yes to 1 or 2, then I would stick with the OEM setup. It is designed and tested to give in a specific way in an accident. Changing out to a "race only" product means the frame and crumple zones wont act the same.

*edit* in fact, it states quite clearly they are not to be used on the street right there on their website. That is not a "oh we are protecting ourselves" warning, that is a "you get in an accident with this, and you could kill yourself, or someone else" warning.

Last edited by Overbear; 04-29-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
I would consider a few things.

1)Are you DDing your car?
2)Do you drive it on the street a lot?

if you answer yes to 1 or 2, then I would stick with the OEM setup. It is designed and tested to give in a specific way in an accident. Changing out to a "race only" product means the frame and crumple zones wont act the same.

*edit* in fact, it states quite clearly they are not to be used on the street right there on their website. That is not a "oh we are protecting ourselves" warning, that is a "you get in an accident with this, and you could kill yourself, or someone else" warning.
yeah I noticed that also. But I figure that putting a big FMIC that requires replacing the oem beam has it's benefits for the folks that do it, so I guess I'm not quite turned away from the potential negatives yet...? but as I type this I'm also praying that i don't ever crash nor be crashed into. I know the dangers but I share the same feeling as a fat kid with cake. i know I'm fat and I know that it makes me fat but it I'll still eat the cake.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Ask ddavis I think he uses their products b
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Heedz
There's a few people on here who have stuff from them. WRX-USA is one of them too IIRC?

Originally Posted by ravenlunatic
yeah I noticed that also. But I figure that putting a big FMIC that requires replacing the oem beam has it's benefits for the folks that do it, so I guess I'm not quite turned away from the potential negatives yet...? but as I type this I'm also praying that i don't ever crash nor be crashed into. I know the dangers but I share the same feeling as a fat kid with cake. i know I'm fat and I know that it makes me fat but it I'll still eat the cake.
Cake isn't going to kill someone when you get into an accident, so it is the risk you take.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Heedz
Yeah I think he has their front subframe, which I seriously want. I have the rear brace (sedan) and it is a beautiful piece. The center section is very nicely made, and lighter than the bracket itself. All the hardware looks to be top-notch. There was a problem with the run of brackets in the one I got, which they noticed before I did, and they sent a brand new piece to replace it. Couldn't be happier so far, and it's getting installed in the next week or so (this is a month or so adjusted to my mechanic's clock) so I will report back after going for a drive.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
They make some great stuff.

EVERYONE that makes parts for subarus says they're for track use only. Especially when messing with structural parts of the car. It keeps them from getting sued.

In this case.... overbear is right. It will change how the car reacts in an accident.

But saying that... those things are stronger than the JDM bumper beam. People have been changing to the JDM beam or just taking the bumper beam and subframe out completely for years. I'm yet to hear of someone getting killed because of it. Doesn't mean it won't happen.

But if you're going with a FMIC then I'd say this is a better way to go then just removing the parts all together.

Lighter doesn't mean weaker in this case. Your airbags are still going to function. You're still covered in a front end collision.

But just like adding ANYTHING more structurally rigid... your car will crumple different in an accident.

But to answer your question... they make good stuff.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
That subframe brace! Daddy likey.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
They make some great stuff.

EVERYONE that makes parts for subarus says they're for track use only. Especially when messing with structural parts of the car. It keeps them from getting sued.

In this case.... overbear is right. It will change how the car reacts in an accident.

But saying that... those things are stronger than the JDM bumper beam. People have been changing to the JDM beam or just taking the bumper beam and subframe out completely for years. I'm yet to hear of someone getting killed because of it. Doesn't mean it won't happen.

But if you're going with a FMIC then I'd say this is a better way to go then just removing the parts all together.

Lighter doesn't mean weaker in this case. Your airbags are still going to function. You're still covered in a front end collision.

But just like adding ANYTHING more structurally rigid... your car will crumple different in an accident.

But to answer your question... they make good stuff.
Well stated.

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yeah I think he has their front subframe, which I seriously want. I have the rear brace (sedan) and it is a beautiful piece. The center section is very nicely made, and lighter than the bracket itself. All the hardware looks to be top-notch. There was a problem with the run of brackets in the one I got, which they noticed before I did, and they sent a brand new piece to replace it. Couldn't be happier so far, and it's getting installed in the next week or so (this is a month or so adjusted to my mechanic's clock) so I will report back after going for a drive.
are you referring to their tubular rear subframe? I remember seeing something like this a long time ago and yeah, it looks sweet! It was a hefty price though but seeing as to how good the customer service is from your experience, it may have been well worth the money.

Originally Posted by Rev. Rob Large
That subframe brace! Daddy likey.
I'm starting a saving for it now
Old 04-30-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
But saying that... those things are stronger
Just a note, stronger does not mean better in this case, but its all good. Like I said, just be aware it will change things.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:43 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Just a note, stronger does not mean better in this case.
Explain please?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:00 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Oswald makes quality parts. I run his bumper beams & his front subframe on my 04 wagon. Very nice guy to deal with and he builds the subframes to spec when you order.

When I put in the beams, subframe, and a lightweight battery the front end felt alot stiffer which shows how much play the stocker must of had, and the front end of the car felt noticeably lighter on downhill turns. The weight felt alot more neutral overall. I drive a steep downhill curvy road to work some days when I take the car in which is a pretty good test (sharp park rd). The subframe also adds new jack points for jack stands which is great if you do alot of work on your car.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Explain please?
well its all subjective to the impact, however in a case like this a "stronger" beam means that it won't compress as fast, this transfers the impact into the frame rather than absorb some of the energy.

Front bumpers are designed to compress, to spread and spend energy and decrease its impact on other parts, think of them like a fuse.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
well its all subjective to the impact, however in a case like this a "stronger" beam means that it won't compress as fast, this transfers the impact into the frame rather than absorb some of the energy.

Front bumpers are designed to compress, to spread and spend energy and decrease its impact on other parts, think of them like a fuse.
^^Yep this is definitely something to consider! Another way to look at it is that the stock systems are designed to compress or be sacrificial in a certain way - say three different pieces working together, the bumpers/unibody frame rails, subframe, and upper crumple-zone. You change ONE significant piece and sure, the car may be lighter and handle better, but you have just significantly altered the way the car will behave in a collision.

Similarly, if you imagine a triangle that is tested for strength, and then you swap out one leg for an unknown, well, there you go - that's where it's at. That made sense in my head - haha.

I am in no way saying Oswald products are not great, just that, it changes things - and this should be taken into consideration on a street car.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:06 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
In a frontal impact, I noticed (from experience) that the subframe U-brace had a much bigger role in crash crumpling. This makes sense as it's the U-brace that gives the good crash rating and distributes the energy down the rails of the chassis.

The bumper beam has less of a contribution.

Compare the USDM vs JDM bumper beams:

There are several reasons the USDM is thick... because US laws say that impact under a certain speed must have less than $$ cost to fix. The thicker beam protects all the front fascia from damaging. Sure, the thick beam will also contribute to crash safety slightly... but nowhere near as much as that u-beam.

Also note that both USDM and JDM beams have "ears" on the ends... which the Oswald does not. These ears protect the corner impact from immediately crushing in and destroying things like the lights.

The Oswald seems awesome, and reviews say it does wonders for handling removing tons of weight in the front most part of the car. If you keep your u-brace, then you really aren't compromising frontal impact safety. However, corner impacts can leave your lights and corner items more vulnerable.

Now a lot of people replace their u-brace with those tube cross braces. I have no idea what effect that has on crash safety, or if they would even do much besides collapse an not play much role in crumple distribution. I get the feeling you don't want to give up your u-brace unless you cage the car.

Quick Reply: Oswald Performance products?