i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   The Official Bay Area Beer Thread (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/official-bay-area-beer-thread-195086/)

iLoqin 05-04-2014 12:47 AM

Had Black Diamond's DIPA Rampage. Pretty damn good.

Liquid Gold IPAs
Russian Rivers Pliney the Elder
Russia Rivers Bling Pig
Black Diamonds Rampage
Ballast Points Sculpin

Can't go wrong IPAs
Deschute Hop Henge
Heretics Evil Cousin
Ulinta Hop Notch
Drakes 7X70

Lookin to try and obtain Heady Toppers Alchemist somehow.

JZ oo7 05-04-2014 02:17 AM

[QUOTE=iLoqin;3514672]Only tried the Elder. I'll be looking for Younger late Feb.
[/QUOTE]

PtY is over hyped IMO. People waiting hours for a beer is ridiculous, I did wait 45 minutes many years ago. For how accessible PtE is, I wouldn't bother with PtY. Sure try it once, but if going by how the trend is going, next year is probably going to be even tougher. I'll take 120 Minute IPA over it any day.

kbeetz 05-04-2014 09:11 AM

If you guys are trying to get Heady Topper you can set up a trade through websites like beeradvocate, ratebeer or the beer trade subreddit. It shouldnt be hard to find someone willing to trade considering we have access to Russian Rivers beers in this area.

Also Pliny the Younger is not worth the hype. Yes its a very good triple IPA but its not worth waiting in line for hours. I waited in line at Petes Brass Rail for about 10 min this year and I was happy to get to try it once but I wont bother next year. Its just not worth it imo.

oshrizak 05-04-2014 08:29 PM

For the first time I tried Lost Abbey beer that is aged in tequila barrells.... Tastes like crap. NOT my cup of tea if you are an IPA fan. I will NEVER be touching a beer like that in my life ever again.

iLoqin 05-04-2014 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=kbeetz;3514786]If you guys are trying to get Heady Topper you can set up a trade through websites like beeradvocate, ratebeer or the beer trade subreddit. It shouldnt be hard to find someone willing to trade considering we have access to Russian Rivers beers in this area.

Also Pliny the Younger is not worth the hype. Yes its a very good triple IPA but its not worth waiting in line for hours. I waited in line at Petes Brass Rail for about 10 min this year and I was happy to get to try it once but I wont bother next year. Its just not worth it imo.[/QUOTE]

I scrolled through them forums... about 1/20 posts searching for Heady Topper looks like it's In Search For (ISO) vs FT (For Trade)

Even doing that seems very tedious.

wombatsauce 05-05-2014 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=iLoqin;3514552]Pliney is liquid gold.
[/QUOTE]

I think comments like this above, plus the designed-in "scarcity" of the beer is what has lead to this almost "mythical" quality and fascination of Pliney the Both. The beer itself is not something I would choose over a Sculpin, a Deschutes Hop Henge and damn sure not a pint of Magnolia's Proving Ground IPA. All of which are readily available for purchase and enjoyment.

If you want to make a direct comparison to a small brewery, I really enjoy St. Florian's IPA - they are a husband/wife brewery from Windsor and they also produce a damn good California Common. I can find their beer every day of the week at Mollie Stone's stores in a couple locations. It's delicious.

[QUOTE=iLoqin;3514672]Only tried the Elder. I'll be looking for Younger late Feb.

I've been trying to figure out how to get my hands on Heady Toppers Alchemist.[/QUOTE]

As far as Heady Topper, why not check with bottle shops? Places like City Beer Store or [URL="http://healthy-spirits.blogspot.com/"]Healthy Spirits[/URL] in SF. Or beer bars like Church Key, The Monk's Kettle, in SF and Grape and Grain in San Mateo.

[QUOTE=JZ oo7;3514764]PtY is over hyped IMO. People waiting hours for a beer is ridiculous, I did wait 45 minutes many years ago. For how accessible PtE is, I wouldn't bother with PtY. Sure try it once, but if going by how the trend is going, next year is probably going to be even tougher. I'll take 120 Minute IPA over it any day.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, there are people out there who get a serious kick out of being able to try "anything" that most people cannot, and post it on facebook or something. Then, there are people that are into beer. If you asked me to wait in line for an hour or more to try one beer, no thanks - makes me feel too played. There are SO MANY AWESOME beers and breweries out there that try to produce good beer, and work hard to make it available to you.

[QUOTE=kbeetz;3514786]If you guys are trying to get Heady Topper you can set up a trade through websites like beeradvocate, ratebeer or the beer trade subreddit. It shouldnt be hard to find someone willing to trade considering we have access to Russian Rivers beers in this area.

Also Pliny the Younger is not worth the hype. Yes its a very good triple IPA but its not worth waiting in line for hours. I waited in line at Petes Brass Rail for about 10 min this year and I was happy to get to try it once but I wont bother next year. Its just not worth it imo.[/QUOTE]

I think it's pretty funny, as you can find it other places now - like the Rose and Crown in Palo Alto. Most places, it's a ~4oz pour (I think that is what I saw last) and more than a pint of any other beer. I have friends who have tried to get up there every year until the last four or so, and it has never once sounded remotely worth it to my friends who are really, actually into beer.

People who are really into Facebook and Twitter and being first or trying stuff that others cannot, feeling elite, that sort of thing, or think that anything that has a lot of hops is "soooo siiiick" always seem to have a blast. I heard someone talking about this and how their friend must have been soooooo into beer to do all of that stupid stuff to try one beer. They talked forever about getting up there, the wait, shenanigans surrounding the wait and all that, and not one thing mentioned about the beer. Not sure if they even tried it or if it matters - because they were there and you weren't!!!!! Or something.

[QUOTE=oshrizak;3514909]For the first time I tried Lost Abbey beer that is aged in tequila barrells.... Tastes like crap. NOT my cup of tea if you are an IPA fan. I will NEVER be touching a beer like that in my life ever again.[/QUOTE]

That does indeed sound disgusting, but don't let it sour you on barrel-aged beers completely. I might be getting a couple cabernet casks for Freewheel to do some aging for down the road. Could turn out nice if used with the right ale base and such.

Myself, I am a fan of beer. I generally prefer English ales, and I love a good IPA, but I mean a true-to-form English IPA. Not an American Pale stuffed with enough hops to brew 5 proper IPAs. Balance is necessary.

iLoqin 05-28-2014 04:53 PM

Liquid Gold IPAs
Russia Rivers Bling Pig
Black Diamonds Rampage
Ballast Points Sculpin

Can't go wrong IPAs
Deschute Hop Henge
Heretics Evil Cousin
Ulinta Hop Notch (Nosh now)
Drakes 7X70
Knee Deep Citra Extra Pale Ale
Bear Republic Racer 5
Firestone DBA

Beer Advocate has Pliney the Younger and Elder in the top 4. I went to Russian River (besides scavenging stores for bottles of pliney) and got 2 growlers of Pliney the Elder. Drank one, still have a growler and haven't cut the 'blue tape' yet on the other.

bugeyeblues 05-29-2014 08:11 AM

[QUOTE="iLoqin;3522429"]Liquid Gold IPAs Russian Rivers Pliney the Elder Russia Rivers Bling Pig Black Diamonds Rampage Ballast Points Sculpin Can't go wrong IPAs Deschute Hop Henge Heretics Evil Cousin Ulinta Hop Notch (Nosh now) Drakes 7X70 Knee Deep Citra Extra Pale Ale Bear Republic Racer 5 Firestone DBA Beer Advocate has Pliney the Younger and Elder in the top 4. I went to Russian River (besides scavenging stores for bottles of pliney) and got 2 growlers of Pliney the Elder. Drank one, still have a growler and haven't cut the 'blue tape' yet on the other.[/QUOTE]

Lagunitas??

SV415 05-29-2014 10:36 AM

We just did a beer label for Anchor Brewing. It was a collaboration between Anchor and one of the bands we work with.

[IMG]http://s8.postimg.org/6j3h21f5h/1507497_624341280983391_6876761580070242208_o.jpg[/IMG]

wombatsauce 05-29-2014 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=bugeyeblues;3522562]Lagunitas??[/QUOTE]

Naugahyde?

wombatsauce 08-28-2014 11:12 AM

So... Beer? Anyone check out Hop Dogma in El Granada? They have a crazy selection and usually a couple pretty strong IPAs. They also have some other stuff like a saison fermented/aged in chardonnay barrels.

What's with this "Untappd" thing? It seems like it's mostly for people that like social media and checking in/updating stuff on their phone versus actually anything to do with beer enthusiasm. Already seen MANY people commenting on the wrong beers, getting beers mixed up, and a couple brewers and bartenders have said the same thing. It sounds like they humor folks, but do not take it seriously at all (makes sense based on what I have seen). One guy was getting in a tender's face saying "...all these damn IPAs are too hoppy, why can't someone make a GOOD IPA..." Hmmm.

Serving English cask ale at festivals, I often have people say they don't like bitter beers when they ask about the bitter. I know the name is deceiving, but... Once you get past that, it's like the least bitter beer. A Pilsner can be more bitter than a bitter. Ah well.

kbeetz 08-28-2014 11:32 AM

Never heard of it. I havent been drinking very much beer lately but im almost all the way through the Sierra Nevada beer camp collab box. Some solid beers in there but nothing great. I saw on Firestones instagram yesterday that they had local winemakers working on the blend for XVIII. Im looking forward to that release soon

iLoqin 11-27-2014 04:30 PM

Liquid Gold Beer (finally switched to ales + IPAs)
Russia Rivers Bling Pig
Ballast Points Sculpin
Bear Republics Grand'am

Can't go wrong Beer in order
Deschutes Hop Henge
Strands Atticus
Black Diamond Rampage
Heretics Evil Cousin
Ulintas Hop Nosh
Drakes 7X70
Easy Jack
Knee Deep Citra Extra Pale Ale
Bear Republic Racer 5
Firestone DBA

oshrizak 11-28-2014 04:23 PM

[QUOTE="iLoqin;3571555"]Liquid Gold Beer (finally switched to ales + IPAs) Russian Rivers Pliney the Elder Russia Rivers Bling Pig Ballast Points Sculpin Bear Republics Grand'am Can't go wrong Beer in order Deschutes Hop Henge Strands Atticus Black Diamond Rampage Heretics Evil Cousin Ulintas Hop Nosh Drakes 7X70 Easy Jack Knee Deep Citra Extra Pale Ale Bear Republic Racer 5 Firestone DBA[/QUOTE]

You're gonna love the knee deep citra! I've had most of those beers on tap or in the bottle but mainly on tap lol. Tbh idk why anyone is crazy about pliney. I've had elder and younger and it's good but idk why people think it's the best thing ever.

kbeetz 11-28-2014 07:27 PM

I picked up BCBS, BCBS Coffee and Firestone XVIII today. Pretty satisfied