The Official BAIC Martial Arts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:18 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
nope, i dont watch MTV anymore

( yeah, so i lied, i watch Where my dogs at )
Old 07-25-2006, 11:50 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRB Impreza WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Wow, how long's it been?!

For the MMA and ground fighting freaks: http://www.lockflow.com
A veritable treasure trove of tips. Enjoy!

So how's everyone doing these days? :banana:

Choku, that site is sweet! Imma have to browse through it later. Thanks for the link. I hope to have another lil sparring get together begining of September, so about a month or so away...just throwin it out there.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
>Boxer Power: When you say you're big, how big and what kinda big are we talkin' bout? If it's a little bit of extra fat, it'll burn off pretty quickly if you work hard at whatever martial art you choose. If it's enough to affect your mobility, but in exchange you're a pretty strong guy, try finding a style that emphasizes power and/or deemphasizes speed. Maybe a grappling stlye like judo, wrestling or sambo would be good for you. Or perhaps even boxing or certain styles of full contact karate ("ichi geki, hisatsu" - "one hit, sure kill"). Of course, I dunno quite how you're built so until I know, I'm just thinking out loud

>gqchynaboy: Hell yeah, Final Fu is bullstuff And just to think, millions of impressionable American youth think that's what martial arts is all about. As opposed to say K-1 or the UFC!

>Kyokushin: Glad you like it! It's a great site ain't it?! I've taken up judo these days in order to supplement my clinch and ground game, so I really miss the satisfactory feeling of striking the snot outta people, er, pads I mean haha. if only there was a place that had judo and Muay Thai under one roof for a reasonable price *sigh*
Old 07-26-2006, 05:02 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Academy of Self Defense does Krav Maga, Grappling, some Boxing (hope you like jumping rope), and Escrima under one roof.
Krav takes a lot from Muy Thai, espically elbows and knees
Old 07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

^^^
I've heard of those guys. Don't they do a lot of seminars for law enforecement agencies and whatnot?
Old 07-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by rau
ive taken karate as a kid, muay thai now, and dabbled a little in wrestling. im 6' 265lbs, and not near skinny. its not that bad for me. lthough stamina is a real ***** when youre this heavy. how big are you, if you dont mind me askin?

Im 5'10 and i weight right now 185lbs but im trying to get down to 175, wish me luck haha.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:49 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Yeah - they are pretty hardcore
http://www.academyselfdefense.com/instructors.html
Old 07-27-2006, 06:07 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by BoxerPower
Im 5'10 and i weight right now 185lbs but im trying to get down to 175, wish me luck haha.
come on man, i thought you said you were big.... the majority of the guys i train with are bigger than you....
Old 07-31-2006, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BoxerPower
Pfft, that's not big at all. I'm 6'1", 225lbs trying to get to 205 (lower weight class) but wish ME luck haha.
You're a good size overall, so it comes down to what style you want. If you want to stand and strike, go for Muay Thai or some other form of full contact striking like kyokushin karate, etc. If you want to grapple and groundfight, go for judo, Brazilian jiujitsu, freestyle/submission wrestling, or sambo. Best styles in their classes.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Bump from the dead.

I got a question for some of you peeps. How does MMA interest you? Why do you practice BJJ, wrestling, or Muay Thai?

The reason I ask is because I know someone at work, and she and her husband are big MMA fans. The husband wants to get their kids into wrestling, mainly because I think it is some type of trend.

Another kid I randomly ran into. He said he was training to becoming a cage fighter. He was 13 or something. Talking with him a little bit, he seemed to be obsessed with the whole MMA thing. I mean... I dunno.

The way I see MMA, I think of it as a sport, at its rawest form as two people, hand-to-hand combat, who are trying to either knock the other person's lights out, or choke them out.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 AM
VIP Member

Well, having been a martial arts fan all my life, MMA is the natural progression in a sense that people have always wondered what style would be the "best". I feel that we've gone beyond that and have reached an evolution of MMA wherein it's a "style" in and of itself.
Also, as you said, it's the most pure form of competitive sport.

But I have to say, I am somewhat turned off by the MMA "n00bs" that you have described. They don't really seem to appreciate the intricacies of the sport and just wanna act tough and scrap. My 2 cents.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by darkonion
Bump from the dead.

I got a question for some of you peeps. How does MMA interest you? Why do you practice BJJ, wrestling, or Muay Thai?

The reason I ask is because I know someone at work, and she and her husband are big MMA fans. The husband wants to get their kids into wrestling, mainly because I think it is some type of trend.

Another kid I randomly ran into. He said he was training to becoming a cage fighter. He was 13 or something. Talking with him a little bit, he seemed to be obsessed with the whole MMA thing. I mean... I dunno.

The way I see MMA, I think of it as a sport, at its rawest form as two people, hand-to-hand combat, who are trying to either knock the other person's lights out, or choke them out.

Anyone who says they "train MMA" is a poser, flat out. There is no such thing. You compete in MMA, but you train in individual disciplines and then put them together. There are indeed people who train "general MMA", but those guys always get tooled in competitions.

Let me put it this way. I am an electrical engineer by daytime and have a mechanical engineering degree as well.

I am studying Boxing, Muay Thai, and BJJ and compared to my work and earlier study at university, each of these could be argued to be just as much as a science as any real science or engineering discpline.

In truth, it's crazy how deep these are - it's absolutely mindblowing. There's no such thing as MMA. You don't train MMA. You train a combination of sciences, where you are the engineer, and you engineer your personal martial art which suits your mind and body best.

Watch all the top MMA fighters in various organizations. True, they all know how to hit people and true, they all know how to grapple with people. But their individual styles are unique.

It's like modifying a car. Modifying your car is like MMA - you need brakes, suspension and engine just like you need striking, wrestling, jujitsu. Yet like a modified car, the highest engineered cars are all unique just like the best MMA fighters

This is what MMA is. Sounds like some crazy Bruce Lee stuff huh? That answer your question?

Last edited by verc; 07-09-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Would you agree then that MMA is a sport, while martial arts is something you do to not get killed?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Well, having been a martial arts fan all my life, MMA is the natural progression in a sense that people have always wondered what style would be the "best". I feel that we've gone beyond that and have reached an evolution of MMA wherein it's a "style" in and of itself.
Also, as you said, it's the most pure form of competitive sport.

But I have to say, I am somewhat turned off by the MMA "n00bs" that you have described. They don't really seem to appreciate the intricacies of the sport and just wanna act tough and scrap. My 2 cents.

You know, I haven't met many "mma noobs" honestly. I think it's because MMA components are not like karate, you can't just do it half *** and get a black belt around the waist for pride and ego. The fact that every component is combat orientated means people can't be paper champions, every person has to prove themselves. The fact that you tap out 50 times a day rolling around in BJJ knowing your partner could have seriously hurt you if they weren't nice, very few people are going to be posers - I heard at Dave Camarillo's academy that guy even demotes people. If you go into his place as a BJJ black belt and get beaten by blue belts, he'd probably give you a blue belt.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by darkonion
Would you agree then that MMA is a sport, while martial arts is something you do to not get killed?
Yes and no.

Yes because all unarmed combat is sport due to the state of modern combat. Karate was developed by farmers who didn't have access to weapons and armor. Shaolin Kung fu was developed by monks who didn't have weapons and armor either. Jujitsu was developed for samurai to use when they lost their weapon. Get it? People used to fight with bows and swords and spears, not with punches and kicks.

There were a bunch of martial arts in Europe too, but they were all lost since Europeans started using guns 400 years ago and stopped fighting hand to hand. However in Asia, being only modernized 100-150 years ago, many martial arts masters were able to pass their knowledge onto the modern era instead of dying out like in Europe.

No because people often say "MMA is just a sport, my martial art is for fighting for your life". Ok, well how realistic is your training? If you train a karate move for disarming a knife, is that the same as a person coming at you with killing intent, intent on murdering you? On the other hand a boxer is training full contact, he is sparring with almost full speed and power all the time and trying to knock his opponents out all the time. A boxer KNOWS he can knock a guy out who is trying to kick his ***, because he's done it. A BJJ practitioner KNOWS he can take a guy to the ground and break his limbs, choke him out because he's (almost if not for tapouts) done it. Does a Shotokan Karate practicioner know he can? Shotokan sparring is not full contact. Does a Kyokushin karate practioner know he can? Kyokushin sparring is full contact but no headshots allowed.

So I think that's the difference. I have no doubt Wing Chun, the various forms of traditional karate are effective at self defense. After all, police officers use karate. But don't forget that in the early UFCs, eye gouging, head butting, and EVEN GROIN STRIKES WERE ALLOWED. Yet nobody won by gouging the eye, or kicking in the ***** (some people did win on headbutts - see Mark Kerr).

And besides, self defense involves a whole slew of other skills and factors not often covered by any martial art school, such as controlling the panic response, the whole issue of killing intent.... there's some good police academy reading if you want to look into it teaching police officers how to deal with real life situations of impromptu violence.

Quick Reply: The Official BAIC Martial Arts Thread