Oakland AutoX on the 21st.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester XT
Originally Posted by apetron
You have 27 in front and 24 in the rear? That front bar is huge.

Typically for most Subarus (some will argue about the new GR/GH chassis) you want a larger rear sway bar and a smaller front. This will help eliminate the awful understeer that Subarus are known for.

I for example am running a 22mm front and 24 rear on my STI which helped tighten that back end up a ton and eliminated a bunch of understeer.

On my Forester I am running an 18mm front and 22mm rear and it made worlds of difference.
Yea thats what some were saying, i have a friend that has the same setup its has increase turn in a lot and front end control is really nice. But I think that its probably not the right size bar like you all are saying.

Originally Posted by huck
You need to swap that around. You need a thicker bar in the back to dial out understeer.
Yea i need to figure something out now. I don't think they make a 27mm for the rear of my car. Ill have to think about my setup now then or stiffen the rear and see how to performs next month.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 PM

^the 27mm was recommended by a friend and i got the 27mm for a great deal.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Laave the rear at 24mm but swap the front out for a 22m or smaller and watch what happens.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Laave the rear at 24mm but swap the front out for a 22m or smaller and watch what happens.
This guy speaks wisdom. Ditch the 27.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM
VIP Member

Hell, put the stock bar back on and check the difference. If I recall correctly the front stock bar on the Forester XT is the same as the stock STi bar.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 PM

Hell, put the stock bar back on and check the difference. If I recall correctly the front stock bar on the Forester XT is the same as the stock STi bar.
yea it is the same at the sti 19mm...im gonna run the 27 for one more event..see if the setting change anything, im really liking the responsiveness and turn in of the car for now. But we'll see what happened not like im competitively fast still a blast to drive :-) thx for the info and responses apetron and huck.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sakai530
yea it is the same at the sti 19mm...im gonna run the 27 for one more event..see if the setting change anything, im really liking the responsiveness and turn in of the car for now. But we'll see what happened not like im competitively fast still a blast to drive :-) thx for the info and responses apetron and huck.
No problem at all. 19/24 would be a pretty good setup for eliminating that understeer. You can always improve turn in other ways that will help balance the entire car.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru

It's good to see you could tell that the front sway bar helped with turn in, but you also found out there's such a thing as too stiff. At the nexr event try what you said originally with softening the front and stiffening the rear. You should monitor your tire pressures; you may need to change front and rear tire pressures to help with getting some of that understeer out of the car. You could also be over driving and your tires can't keep up with it.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
The Huck Vs Gagan T2 championship is turning exciting with them trading wins in the last 2 rounds.

Can't wait to see what Gagan can do once he's got his EJ20 swap dialed in and fresh rubber (how old are those tires lol), and equally when Huck steps up to coils (better pray he doesn't move close to an E85 station)

Apetron is also there in the mix

Great little battle going on
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by glenspen
The Huck Vs Gagan T2 championship is turning exciting with them trading wins in the last 2 rounds.

Can't wait to see what Gagan can do once he's got his EJ20 swap dialed in and fresh rubber (how old are those tires lol), and equally when Huck steps up to coils (better pray he doesn't move close to an E85 station)

Yea its been fun so far this year. Wish I was able to use my own car, but Huck and Gagan have both been gracious enough to let me use theirs.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
I should run T2-DSP
Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by G_Ride
It's good to see you could tell that the front sway bar helped with turn in, but you also found out there's such a thing as too stiff. At the nexr event try what you said originally with softening the front and stiffening the rear. You should monitor your tire pressures; you may need to change front and rear tire pressures to help with getting some of that understeer out of the car. You could also be over driving and your tires can't keep up with it.
yea i think im going to do that at the next event stiffen up the rear play with tire pressure a little more i was running 40 rear hot and 41 front hot...before i ran 38 hot all around but i felt like the side wall was bending in on turns. LIke you said i could have been over driving the car and 540 tread wear tires could not keep up...maybe some new tires are in order haha.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
yea i think im going to do that at the next event stiffen up the rear play with tire pressure a little more i was running 40 rear hot and 41 front hot...before i ran 38 hot all around but i felt like the side wall was bending in on turns. LIke you said i could have been over driving the car and 540 tread wear tires could not keep up...maybe some new tires are in order haha.
Yeah, you may need better tires
Old 04-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by justint5387
I should run T2-DSP
Why not?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by glenspen

E85 is so tempting (who wouldn't want another 70+ hp) but this is still my DD. Not sure I want to take that plunge just yet. Maybe next year. Maybe after I save up for coilovers.

Quick Reply: Oakland AutoX on the 21st.