Nitro RC-Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Nitro RC-Cars

Anyone in the bay area into Nitro RC-Cars? Im going to pick up my first one tomorrow afternoon, these things are badass! Just curious if anyone else has any, and knows of any good off-road thrashing spots!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Originally Posted by Volkey
Anyone in the bay area into Nitro RC-Cars? Im going to pick up my first one tomorrow afternoon, these things are badass! Just curious if anyone else has any, and knows of any good off-road thrashing spots!
RC cars are alot of fun, I have had them ever since I was like 12. They come a long way since then, much more fun if have a few people to go screw around with. I have a Platium Revo never opened I'm selling, it's a limited edition Revo with ever bad *** part you could buy for the thing. I have had it a few years just sitting in a box, just needs a controller and ready to start. What did you buy?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
RC cars are alot of fun, I have had them ever since I was like 12. They come a long way since then, much more fun if have a few people to go screw around with. I have a Platium Revo never opened I'm selling, it's a limited edition Revo with ever bad *** part you could buy for the thing. I have had it a few years just sitting in a box, just needs a controller and ready to start. What did you buy?
Nice! Yeah it would be rad to get a few people together to rip up some gravel!!

Im picking up the new Savage X 4.6. I going to be a gallon bottle of Nitro fun!!
Do you know of any good hobbyshops for parts/nitro in the bay area?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Identifier of i-Club members

Car Info: 2009 wrx
from someone who has been into rc for a long time, stay away from nitro. nitro is loud which about it's only positive attribute. nitro's require constant maintenance, tuning, cleaning, require carrying extra batteries, extra glow plugs and refueling every 5-7 minutes. get something electric like an e-revo or a e-maxx. they are much less hassle, have more power, require less maintenance and give more driving time.

as far as hobby shops one of the best ones in our east bay area is hobbytown usa concord. they have really smart employees who actually know every rc they sell and are always willing to take the time to help you get the best product. try to talk to ricky, mike or chuck, atleast one of them is always there. i would go spend an hour or something there driving their test vehicles. there are some other good ones in san jose but they tend to be less directed at bashing rc's and are more into racers and drifters.

Last edited by dub599; 01-12-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:37 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I used to race RC Trucks when I was in high school. There is a year round track in Antioch that races on saturday. I think its still out there. Tons of fun but hard.

I have been thinking about getting back into it but Airsoft is currently taking up all my hobby time and money.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dub599
from someone who has been into rc for a long time, stay away from nitro. nitro is loud which about it's only positive attribute. nitro's require constant maintenance, tuning, cleaning, require carrying extra batteries, extra glow plugs and refueling every 5-7 minutes. get something electric like an e-revo or a e-maxx. they are much less hassle, have more power, require less maintenance and give more driving time.

as far as hobby shops one of the best ones in our east bay area is hobbytown usa concord. they have really smart employees who actually know every rc they sell and are always willing to take the time to help you get the best product. try to talk to ricky, mike or chuck, atleast one of them is always there. i would go spend an hour or something there driving their test vehicles. there are some other good ones in san jose but they tend to be less directed at bashing rc's and are more into racers and drifters.
Nice, thanks for the info. Any more pros and cons i should take into consider for nitro cars? It seems like the Nitro cars do have more maintenance and what not, but working with an engine thats the size of your fist cant be too difficult, but I do see what your saying.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
The best is the HPI truck or buggys with the chainsaw motors. Has a pull start and very little maintenance compared to nitro.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX E85 tuned
I used to be into nitro cars and man that is an expensive *** hobbie! It felt like every time I drove them I would end my day at the hobbie shop getting new parts because I broke something but never the less still fun. I agree that if I ever got back into it, I would go with electric...
Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM

hmm.. maybe I will scratch this whole idea and just by a new 20g. lol I think It should be pretty fun. My grandfather has about 6 acres, maybe he will let me build a little track =P
Old 01-12-2012, 01:38 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

+100000000000 on avoiding nitro.

i have... 2 nitros. each one was a PITA to run correctly. oh sure, maybe the first gallon or so of fuel it would run right. but after that, i just never had any "fun" with it.

i have had an ofna buggy and a traxxas revo.

now, the only rc i would run that uses any liquid fuel is my 1/5 scale HPI truck that runs on unleaded.

btw, nitro fuel is very costly. last i looked it was like $25 for a gallon of fuel... add the number of glow plugs you have to buy...

i have a few trucks and cars running electric.

i'm even contemplating on converting my revo from nitro to electric.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:47 PM

hmm.. maybe I will scratch this whole idea and just by a new 20g. lol I think It should be pretty fun. My grandfather has about 6 acres, maybe he will let me build a little track =P
I completely disagree with nitro being to much hassle.

Let me try to assemble an educated post to you which is difficult cuz im not to bright but here are some great pro's and cons.

First question what are you going to use it for? just to tool around? or are you maybe going to race it one day?

Are you going to be in the dirt alot or are you mainly going ot be on the street. this will decide if you get an on road or off road.

Electric cars or trucks are great they are fun but you are going to spend a ton of money on batterys, chargers, and the same stuff that breaks on a nitro car is the same stuff that breaks on an electric.

Nitro is way fun. no batterys to charge, and if you want to go out for a 30-40 min session you just need to keep filling the tank every 7-10 mins instead of stopping to change a battery.

You will need more room for the nitro to streatch out and not hit anything. When you crash a nitro vehicle I will agree you are going faster so the damage tends to be a little more catastrophic.

I know you live in Livermore so unfortunately all of our local hobby shops closed so now you gotta go to concord or online.

Its really up to you though what you get I would say go nitro and dont look back. Its kinda like if you buy that little 250 with the electrics eventually you will want more.

Maybe start with an electric and sell it on ebay or CL for 10% of what you bought it for then get a gas truck or buggy or car.

Or since you are looking for a new hobby and live down the street from me you could get into airsoft and be a huge super nerd like me.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
I completely disagree with nitro being to much hassle.

Let me try to assemble an educated post to you which is difficult cuz im not to bright but here are some great pro's and cons.

First question what are you going to use it for? just to tool around? or are you maybe going to race it one day?

Are you going to be in the dirt alot or are you mainly going ot be on the street. this will decide if you get an on road or off road.

Electric cars or trucks are great they are fun but you are going to spend a ton of money on batterys, chargers, and the same stuff that breaks on a nitro car is the same stuff that breaks on an electric.

Nitro is way fun. no batterys to charge, and if you want to go out for a 30-40 min session you just need to keep filling the tank every 7-10 mins instead of stopping to change a battery.

You will need more room for the nitro to streatch out and not hit anything. When you crash a nitro vehicle I will agree you are going faster so the damage tends to be a little more catastrophic.

I know you live in Livermore so unfortunately all of our local hobby shops closed so now you gotta go to concord or online.

Its really up to you though what you get I would say go nitro and dont look back. Its kinda like if you buy that little 250 with the electrics eventually you will want more.

Maybe start with an electric and sell it on ebay or CL for 10% of what you bought it for then get a gas truck or buggy or car.

Or since you are looking for a new hobby and live down the street from me you could get into airsoft and be a huge super nerd like me.
Some good insight for sure.

It will be for strictly off road, no race. just dickin around mostly. I was looking at batteries, those damn things are $100+, chargers $50+, and thats not including all the AA;s you will be going through.. To be honest, Nitro sounds Cheaper, and funner. I definitely will be going that route.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Some good insight for sure.

It will be for strictly off road, no race. just dickin around mostly. I was looking at batteries, those damn things are $100+, chargers $50+, and thats not including all the AA;s you will be going through.. To be honest, Nitro sounds Cheaper, and funner. I definitely will be going that route.
Amen.

When I raced electric I had like 8 batterys. I was buying at least a battery and motor per year to stay competitive and thats just ameture.

When I switched to nitro it was all about gas and parts and tires. If your lookin just to kick around the pull start HPI trucks are a blast, user friendly, and pretty reliable. I think traxxas makes good stuff too.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 PM

Well if you still have your trucks, maybe you can put the guns down for a Saturday afternoon and we can kick up some dirt..
Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 PM

Well if you still have your trucks, maybe you can put the guns down for a Saturday afternoon and we can kick up some dirt..
Sorry I sold all my stuff awhile ago.

Quick Reply: Nitro RC-Cars