New tires from Costco...same old ???s

Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by Heedz
pilot sports suckkkkkkkk i dont like them....

Try the s-04s out!!! I wanna see how those do.

Re-11s are garbage you may get 10k out them. at that point pay less for starspecs rs-3s or federal RSRs.

I have a set of RE11s and i replaced them after they had around 30k of use. I still have them and i could get a few more thousand out of them too if i want. Great Sticky tire. Expensive, maybe, depends on how you look at it.
My next set of tires will most likely be another set of RE11s.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
Originally Posted by frost0fractal

Already bought my next set (Conti DW's) but won't be putting them on for a few thousand miles. Price was right, and figured I'd try something new.
I have these and they are really good for the price. I just commute but i do make the seldom trip to the mountains. I have 50k on mine and probably have a well k left so they do last.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sport Wagon
I recall Costco doesn't carry any low profile tires 55 or under at any warehouse. Must be ordered and will take a week or two to get them in.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRX 5dr OBP
Originally Posted by edzwrx
I recall Costco doesn't carry any low profile tires 55 or under at any warehouse. Must be ordered and will take a week or two to get them in.
I called the Costco tire centers in RWC, Foster City and Mountain View. All the warehouses carry Michelin Primacy MXM4 (all-season) in 225/45/r17 but nothing else. The costco.com website has a selection of summer tires (including Primacy HP, S04 Pole Positions and RE-11s), but these need to be shipped to your local warehouse for pickup/installation. 5-7 business day shipping.

It looks like the main benefit of buying online from Costco is that you save on the ~$50 shipping you'd otherwise pay from Tirerack. I guess that's assuming they have the tires you want.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
How about we all get some off name brand that are 215/45 on a by 10 wheel???

Problem created.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2012 PBP STI
One more thing, you don't have to run 225, I run 235 wide on my stock 09 rims.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Dartholomew
I called the Costco tire centers in RWC, Foster City and Mountain View. All the warehouses carry Michelin Primacy MXM4 (all-season) in 225/45/r17 but nothing else. The costco.com website has a selection of summer tires (including Primacy HP, S04 Pole Positions and RE-11s), but these need to be shipped to your local warehouse for pickup/installation. 5-7 business day shipping.

It looks like the main benefit of buying online from Costco is that you save on the ~$50 shipping you'd otherwise pay from Tirerack. I guess that's assuming they have the tires you want.
5-7 days? I get my tires from Tire Rack in like 1-2 days. I personally wouldn't let Costco touch my car, but that's just me.

Currently running RE760s and liking them. I've run S-02s and S-03s and they were excellent tires and am considering the S-04s for my next set.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Car Info: DGM BRZ
When I went to costco, I picked up my Pilot Sports A/S+ same day. Went in, chose what I wanted and got them installed, balanced and nitrogen filled, not to mention you get free tire rotation. No problems with Costco, except they don't have a wide selection. Tire rack is probably your best bet if you ain't going with Costco.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Most places that I've been to will do free rotation if you bought the tires from them. I don't know if Wheel Works does that anymore though. Nitrogen doesn't do much for you on the street IMO. With TR, I've found that some local places will come pretty close to their price shipped, but TR still tends to get me some of the better deals, especially when they have a sale.

Last edited by 04GG; 07-16-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Re-11s are garbage
LOL. From this comment I'll guarantee you've never owned a set. Never mind raced a season on a set.

OP, for a good value for money extreme tire consider the Hankook RS3s or Starspecs...the S04's are sweet but pricey
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by glenspen
LOL. From this comment I'll guarantee you've never owned a set. Never mind raced a season on a set.

OP, for a good value for money extreme tire consider the Hankook RS3s or Starspecs...the S04's are sweet but pricey
I like to run tires that are way too skinny for my own good too
Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
I like to run tires that are way too skinny for my own good too
I don't care what tires/rims/fitment etc.. that you run, that's your business, but calling a quality tire like an RE-11 'garbage' in a thread where people are looking for advice on summer performance tires makes you seem like your knowledge levels are low

I know you like i-club (7000 posts in 2 years shows that), and I know a lot of members who I respect think you are a cool guy and appreciate your contributions to the site/meets etc but offering bad advice is not helpful to anybody

Don't take this the wrong way Hide cos I like most of your posts
Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by glenspen
I don't care what tires/rims/fitment etc.. that you run, that's your business, but calling a quality tire like an RE-11 'garbage' in a thread where people are looking for advice on summer performance tires makes you seem like your knowledge levels are low

I know you like i-club (7000 posts in 2 years shows that), and I know a lot of members who I respect think you are a cool guy and appreciate your contributions to the site/meets etc but offering bad advice is not helpful to anybody

Don't take this the wrong way Hide cos I like most of your posts
Don't worry it will take a decent amount to get me going lol everyone can have their own opinion. Except when it comes to 215's 225's on a way too wide of a rim, that's just not gonna work.

I just think the price is way too much, and I've had friends who go through a set in 8k. That just seems like a way too low a mileage for price you pay for them. If paying that price different I would rather choose an Advan tire.

By garbage I didn't mean it literally I should change my wording there. But nothing came to mind. I would choose the starspec over them definitely and not the rs3 although on dry those do perform better. But for a daily starspecs can handle the moist roads.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
^^^i got 25k out of my star specs(before I sold them to someone who put 10k on them), daily driven on highway 17/280...they mobbed in the rain

My girlfriend drove behind me once in the heavy rain and she said I was kicking up twice as much water than anyother car/truck on the road..she couldn't stay behind me because she couldn't see anything
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Oh and coming from someone who works at a tire shop, bridgestones/michelin are good tires, but they are way overpriced...I don't mind selling them though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New tires from Costco...same old ???s