New to Bay Area: Smog and Emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT
New to Bay Area: Smog and Emissions?

I recently moved to the Bay Area from Boston and brought my stock looking 2005 Legacy GT wagon with me. I have been a long time member on NASIOC, but I was told i-Club is more active in the Bay Area and I was hoping to get some better local insight.

I did a little homework and it seems that the smog/emission test is difficult to pass for any modded car. If I have to demod slightly and put the stock DP to pass that is fine. If I have to go through the hassle of putting the engine back to stock it seems easier to sell it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mod List:
  • TD05-20G
  • DW 850cc sidefeeds
  • Walbro 255
  • Grimmspeed TMIC
  • K&N Typhoon
  • Perrin turbo inlet
  • Grimmspeed EBCS
  • Forge BPV
  • Grimmspeed EWG Uppipe
  • CNT catted downpipe

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2016, 01:19 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Stock DP would be the minimum to attempt a smog.

It's also really important to see WHERE you are getting smogged. If you're just getting done at a regular place, yeah, stock DP is likely enough. You'll have to find out how 'strict' the technician is. Perhaps avoid the really clean nice shops?!

if you are getting referee'd or BAR'd, then it has to be ALL stock. they know their ish and will cross reference anything (on their computer/reference) that doesn't look stock. your non subaru turbo will stick out like a sore thumb, from a recent thread on this board.

One note: don't ask someone to POST a smog place to get an "illegal" smog done...that's a no-no. take it offline for any sort of "suggestions".
Old 12-04-2016, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT
Thanks for the quick response. Since I am just registration the car in CA for the first time I imagine it would be the normal smog process, but I don't know the official process.

If anyone has any tips please PM me.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2016, 04:35 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
The short answer - it the part doesn't have a California Air Resource Board (CARB) number, it's illegal. Function and effect are irrelevant.

As said before; The air intake and Downpipe need to go back to stock at a minimum

Last edited by Lowend; 12-06-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:04 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
OK here are the FACTS

1)Tune does not matter, so long as you do not have a check engine light or throwing a code, you pass the computer test, PERIOD.

2)You must pass visual. In order to do this you must have "CARB" stickers for each item OR they must be exempt.

Exempt parts:
TMIC (Does not matter brand, is NOT part of the smog system)
Turbo inlet pipe (so long as all vacuum lines hook to it)
AOS (Both the S2/grimspeed type and the tank/canister type)
Fuel pumps (Not sure on surge tanks however)

"Questionable" parts (meaning not legal but you MIGHT slip past):
Turbo (So long as it mounts in the stock location, has the stock downpipe to it, and looks stock you are likely not to draw attention to it)
Uppipe (almost impossible to see and I have yet to meet a smog guy or even a Ref that knows what the stock one looks like on sight)
Crosspipe (can't really see it with a skid plate in place. *NOTE* Headers of any kind will NOT pass visual)
Injectors (Side feed, so long as you are running stock fuel rails, they don't know the colors and the book/computer does not tell them to check it)

Now I note you have the K&N intake. So long as it has a CARB exemption for your model car, it can stay on. They can look up the numbers in the system you don't NEED the sticker, but it helps.

All information is current as of 2016, and subject to change.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:05 PM

K&N Typhoon series are the budget non-CARB compliant setups.

I actually got crap about my turbo inlet tube at a last test-only station.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lowend
K&N Typhoon series are the budget non-CARB compliant setups.

I actually got crap about my turbo inlet tube at a last test-only station.
I am not surprised on the K&N thing, I run the AEM short and it comes with the sticker.

I am however surprised you got any crap about the inlet tube. If that happens again stop the inspection on the spot. Take your keys and paperwork and let them know you will be going to another station as it is clear the tech is not current with CA CARB law.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:10 AM

The cobb logo on the MAF tube got the guy leery. I think he could tell the car was sketchy but didn't know how so just picked something out to name. He was actually cool about it as we were doing a "pre-test" so there was no record of him having seen me.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Ive heard a lot of people get questioned/fail for the turbo inlets, especially the red/orange ones.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Ive heard a lot of people get questioned/fail for the turbo inlets, especially the red/orange ones.
That may be part of it. I run a black one, and I filled in the logo with a sharpie so it doesn't show.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Overbear
That may be part of it. I run a black one, and I filled in the logo with a sharpie so it doesn't show.
Yep, my car had a blue one when I got it, lots of issues. Everything is black now and the logos are either sanded off (looks a little like black plastic like this) or taped over with black fabric tape. Now my fuel rails and header get all the love which hopefully draws attention away from the turbo and up-pipe.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Now my fuel rails and header get all the love which hopefully draws attention away from the turbo and up-pipe.
Haha...modded subie life can be a struggle for sure
Old 12-12-2016, 10:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by glenspen
Haha...modded subie life can be a struggle for sure
No doubt! I was talking big as I thought I would never need to smog my car again, but it is looking like I may sell it now. Darn it!
Old 12-12-2016, 05:03 PM

Car Info: '06 Subaru Forester STI
You're gonna have to remove that BPV. And you can't have any mods to the intake - so you're gonna have to swap out the K&N Typhoon. That downpipe will also have to be swapped out. Any of these will fail the visual part of the inspection.

I just smogged mine two months ago - they are particular about these things.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wangta
And you can't have any mods to the intake
Wrong, you just can't have any non CARB mods. Long as it has CARB stickers/approval you can do it. As I pointed out in my first post, the AEM is 100% smog legal.

*edit* Also you can remove the "snorquis" and change out to any air filter you want. You can also change the top of the OEM air box to one of the aftermarket top/covers. Anything PRE the box is smog exempt(so tubes/pipes feeding it cold air and so on)

Quick Reply: New to Bay Area: Smog and Emissions?