Need SBC DSL Service Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Need SBC DSL Service Help

Okay, I have some problem with my DSL signal dropping every once in a while...

Background:
I have had the same service for two years with the same modem and filters.
My previous contract was up so I signed up for another year and added some additional serivces to keep the cost low. The DSL service is exactly the same and below are my new phone services.

1-01 Personal Choice(SM)
- uSelect(SM) 3
-- Caller ID
-- Call Waiting
-- Three-Way Calling
1-02 Caller ID Selective Blocking

My signal started to drop soonest I renewed my contract and folks at SBC has no idea. They dropped my speed to lowest possible thinking I am too far from the central office and unable to handle the higher speed, but I don't think so. Even at lowest speed I am still getting drop signal every day...

So what do you guys think? How can any of these new services cause me problem?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:51 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
How long does it drop for? Any time pattern? Are you sure its completely dropped, as in not one packet gets through? I have been having some issues with mine lately, and I did change my contract and upgraded to like 6 mbit dsl, and now i have some issues. I go over and kick my modem from time to time.

Do a traceroute and see if you can get past your router, at least to your gateway or something. Before it happens, does your net get realllly slow? More details please .
Old 07-11-2006, 11:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' WRX STi
boo! samething happend to me.. i switched to earthlink they have $70 a month phone (unlimited long distance)/dsl service up to 8.0mbps im getting at least 6 everytime I download. My friend works for em and right now they are giving away free ipods too.. let me know if you want to sign up.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:11 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
ooooh, that sounds good. im paying around the same a month for DSL/Phone/LD. PM me the details....
Old 07-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Former Vendor

on my DSL modem there are 4 lights, Power, Ethernet, DSL, and Activity. I get solid green on Power and Ethernet. When I say my DSL signal drops, I mean that the DSL light on the DSL modem starts the flicker and eventually off. So it doesn't even get to my wireless router, it stops at the DSL modem.

What did you (pwn) add to your renewed contract? I've renewed my contract before and it was okay. But last time I did not add any services. Also, I have not changed any of the wiring at all, it's still the same.

I've seen the light flicker in the morning but I am out during the day. I definitly see it at night (at least 3 times a night). I do not notice slowness before the drop, it just stops.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Former Vendor

what do you know... that fcker just dropped on me again!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:45 AM
pwn

Hmm, you don't notice any wierd effects when it flickers? How long does it last? Do you have to reboot your modem to fix it or...? I am thinking of asking for a new dsl modem to try to fix my issues. I will eventually call them though. As for my contract, all I did was upgrade my dsl service.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Former Vendor

the thing is I have wireless setup as well and I work in the living room so I can't monitor my internet connectivity and the modem activity in parallel...

Do you have SBC as well? Will you be able to get an other DSL modem for free? Keep me posted. I just replaced the filter and see if that does it or not...
Old 07-12-2006, 01:32 AM
pwn

Yea I have SBC. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
See if they have cable in your area. I have cable in my area after having dealt with SBC's BS. They dropped me to the lowest possible gauranteed bandwidth and I still had outages at times. I got fed up and moved to Earthlink, which was great when they were under Covad, then Covad went away and I got dropped to half the max, I was not happy. I let it go for a few more months and found out Cable was in my area. So far, I've had Comcast for a good solid 6 months with NO problems. I had one single dropped signal and it came back within an hour.

Not to mention that I also download at 600kb/s or MORE. I downloaded WinAmp today in 3 seconds and it was 11 megs. Frickin awesome.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by tigsterz
boo! samething happend to me.. i switched to earthlink they have $70 a month phone (unlimited long distance)/dsl service up to 8.0mbps im getting at least 6 everytime I download. My friend works for em and right now they are giving away free ipods too.. let me know if you want to sign up.

uhmm, where do I sign up?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by Onizuka
See if they have cable in your area. I have cable in my area after having dealt with SBC's BS. They dropped me to the lowest possible gauranteed bandwidth and I still had outages at times. I got fed up and moved to Earthlink, which was great when they were under Covad, then Covad went away and I got dropped to half the max, I was not happy. I let it go for a few more months and found out Cable was in my area. So far, I've had Comcast for a good solid 6 months with NO problems. I had one single dropped signal and it came back within an hour. (i have other issues with them, if they repair stuff on the outside you can be charged for it, you cannot host a server on the connection, no static ip, they are going to start to censor!! latency, and more)

Not to mention that I also download at 600kb/s or MORE. I downloaded WinAmp today in 3 seconds and it was 11 megs. Frickin awesome.

**** cable

Stick with DSL, move to my company Sonic.net local company that has the best reputation on broadbandreports.com --which says something.

i will never switch to comcast for many reasons but one of them being my sisters comcast was down, and tried to troubleshoot it as much as possible (being a dsl tech i know the proper things to check) and i finally decided to call comcast and they put me on hold for 10 minutes (we are 1 minute average hold times) finally 10 minutes later a recording came on saying "we are unable to provide phone support at this time please log onto comcast.net/support/ for help!"

total crap.

and iBluevirus make sure to check how long the phone cable is that plugs your DSL modem into the phone jack on the wall.. as it shouldnt be longer than 10ft (that cable is not designed to transfer huge amounts of bandwidth over a long stretch) if you're running a long phone cable, try running a long ethernet cable instead.. so plug the modem in with a shorter (6ft cable) and run a network cable up to 300ft.

but call SBC, they can run a line check and see if there is an issue on the physical line. you may have to do a truck roll (they come out and fix it)
as much as one might wanna think its not on their end, it is usually internal wiring in a customers home, bad phone jack or rat chewed wire, or something along those lines... but hey if they cannot find a problem on your side then they will not charge you. hopefully you have wire-pro so its free.

let me know if you have any questions.

(also try plugging the modem into a different phone jack and testing there)
Old 07-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Former Vendor

I am temped to move now... I didn't because I don't use internet that much so didn't want to pay for that extra 20-25 $ a month.

did you break the contract? or did you wait it out? I wonder if I could break the contract without penalty due to their lack of stable services...

See if they have cable in your area. I have cable in my area after having dealt with SBC's BS. They dropped me to the lowest possible gauranteed bandwidth and I still had outages at times. I got fed up and moved to Earthlink, which was great when they were under Covad, then Covad went away and I got dropped to half the max, I was not happy. I let it go for a few more months and found out Cable was in my area. So far, I've had Comcast for a good solid 6 months with NO problems. I had one single dropped signal and it came back within an hour.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Former Vendor

I'll re-route my wiring tonight and see if it works. The thing is I don't think that is the problem because I've been using the same setup for the past two years without any problem until I renewed my contract.

I've also called SBC, they've done a line check and saw some problem that's why they dropped my speed. Now at lowest still have the problem and they don't know what to do anymore. They did say they could send someone out. But if there is something wrong at my end, I would get charge for it. That's why I am trying to exhaust my options first.

Anything else I can try? Thanks!

Originally Posted by evsoul
make sure to check how long the phone cable is that plugs your DSL modem into the phone jack on the wall.. as it shouldnt be longer than 10ft (that cable is not designed to transfer huge amounts of bandwidth over a long stretch) if you're running a long phone cable, try running a long ethernet cable instead.. so plug the modem in with a shorter (6ft cable) and run a network cable up to 300ft.

but call SBC, they can run a line check and see if there is an issue on the physical line. you may have to do a truck roll (they come out and fix it)
as much as one might wanna think its not on their end, it is usually internal wiring in a customers home, bad phone jack or rat chewed wire, or something along those lines... but hey if they cannot find a problem on your side then they will not charge you. hopefully you have wire-pro so its free.

let me know if you have any questions.

(also try plugging the modem into a different phone jack and testing there)
Old 07-12-2006, 08:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn

ummm its not SBC's BS, i dont like them at all as i have to deal with them everyday, but if you are too far out, you're too far out.. they cant control where you live.

and Sonic.net > comcast... hope you like censorship.

Quick Reply: Need SBC DSL Service Help