Need local STI owner's help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:30 AM

Need local STI owner's help.

Well, I got my 05 STI now.
However this is my first stick car. After 2000 miles on it, I am much smoother than before and hardly ever stall now.
But I know there are still many improvements to be made.
At this point I think I better get outside help.
I am in Sunnyvale, looking for local STI owner to hangout on weekends and get help on improving my shifting/clutch skill.
If anyone share my passion for the STI and won't mind teaching a newbie please let me know.
Thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by 98ss
Well, I got my 05 STI now.
However this is my first stick car. After 2000 miles on it, I am much smoother than before and hardly ever stall now.
But I know there are still many improvements to be made.
At this point I think I better get outside help.
I am in Sunnyvale, looking for local STI owner to hangout on weekends and get help on improving my shifting/clutch skill.
If anyone share my passion for the STI and won't mind teaching a newbie please let me know.
Thanks.
This might sound silly, but it has helped a few friends of mine. I have taught a few people how to rev-match and downshift, which I believe are really important skills. Each time, I tell them to check out www.howstuffworks.com and read up on the clutch and how it works. Sometimes, knowing what's going on when you step on the pedal or let it out does wonders for learning how to do it better. I share your passion for the STi but I drive an RS coupe.

-Jacob
Old 03-23-2005, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 04 Sti-black
Was that you at the Doc Wong group last weekend? Anyway you really don't need another STI driver. You could practice on anything. The trick downshifting is to bring the revs up(while the clutch is depressed) to the point where the car would be at the same speed in the lower gear. Anyone who drives a stick could help you and there are easier cars to learn the basics then the STI.(less power) Keep practicing. You'll get it.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
Hey 98ss, what exactly did you need to know? Just smoother shifting?

I can teach you double clutch down shifts, but as for heel-toe, that's something I'm working on myself. Haven't really found an appropriate time to use it yet though.

-GDO
Old 03-23-2005, 01:41 PM

Yes it was me at Doc Wongs.
How was that drive?
I wish I had taken it.
I had to do lunch with my gf's family.

Well I can upshift and downshift okay.
I've started to double clutch downshift as well.
But I have a lot of issue on is how to start from stop quickly and how to upshift quickly and smoothly.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon x2
Originally Posted by Onizuka
I can teach you double clutch down shifts, but as for heel-toe, that's something I'm working on myself. Haven't really found an appropriate time to use it yet though.

-GDO
Stop and go traffic worked for me.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:44 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

i dont race so learning to DS is not as important. ie, really fast with a the heel/toe combo.

for me, just a simple BURP of the gas will bump the rev just enough to bring the engine speed to match the next lower speed.

next thing is to watch INITIAL D video where tak learned how NOT TO SPILL any soup (or was water) on that cup... lol...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kellie
Stop and go traffic worked for me.
For sure. If you really want to learn how to heel-toe and such, disconnect your handbrake and drive around in SF traffic regularly. Weeeeee.

-Jacob
Old 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
Originally Posted by 98ss
But I have a lot of issue on is how to start from stop quickly and how to upshift quickly and smoothly.
Higher revs will get you a quicker start. I am not sure how that'll work with being smooth though.

I have 2 kinds of driving: "by myself driving" where I don't care how smooth the shift is, and "with the wife driving" where I tend to slip the clutch a little, ease off the gas easier, etc. Anyone else have these self-imposed rules?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OwlBoogie
Higher revs will get you a quicker start. I am not sure how that'll work with being smooth though.

I have 2 kinds of driving: "by myself driving" where I don't care how smooth the shift is, and "with the wife driving" where I tend to slip the clutch a little, ease off the gas easier, etc. Anyone else have these self-imposed rules?
Me, tho I shift pretty smooth anyway - I find that the smoother I drive/shift, the faster I go and the better it is for my car. The only thing I have to tone down for my g/f is tire squealing - she is fine with 9/10's of my driving so I feel pretty dang lucky. She can also downshift and rev-match better than any of my friends. It's so funny man.. Someone will see my car and tell me "dude you drive like a nut, I couldn't catch you on 85 the other day" and I'm like... Heh, I was driving my Celica that day and was nowhere near 85.. You just got smoked by a girl.

-Jacob
Old 03-23-2005, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
The shift from 1st to 2nd you definitely need to go slower on the clutch. As far as starting from a stop, it's taken me about a year to find that spot where you're using the minimum of gas yet feeling good acceleration.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the great feedback.
Here is my issue.
I can do both regular single clutch downshift and also double clutch downshift.
It seems that when I do single clutch downshift, I don't have to rev as much and I can get the rev match better.
When I do double clutch downshift, I have to rev a heck a lot more and doesn't seem to match the revs as well.

But double clutch does seem to upset the chasis less, even when I don't match perfectly.

So what does everyone think? Should I keep on trying double clutch and hope to get it done better? Or should I give up double clutch and go back to single clutch downshift?

Either way, I find that when I am coming to a sharp corner, where I have to drop 2 gears, I don't have enough time. I'd have to downshift at least 300-400 feet ahead in order to go from 4-3-2 and get ready for turn.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:39 PM

Bring it out to Livermore and I'll show you how to be fast/smooth/clean/safe.

-Tom
Old 03-23-2005, 02:40 PM

Sounds like you need to double clutch faster and get used to heel toe.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:42 PM

Another issue is upshift. Unless I rev the motor up to 4500 RPM range, it feels slow getting up to speed.
I normally shift at 3-3.5k, but if I do that, everything else on the road seem to be quicker.
I don't want to look like a moron and rev the motor up for every accel.
I wish there is happy middle ground where I get enough oommph for the daily traffic.
Where does everything shift at? When you shift at 3k does the car feel slow getting up to speed?

Quick Reply: Need local STI owner's help.